Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-26-2002, 02:52 PM   #1
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Canon? Or not?

What is considered Tolkien Canon? Does HoME "override" the Silmarillion? Or is it a matter of opinion? Is anything not canonical? And if it isn't-why not?
Old 01-26-2002, 04:47 PM   #2
Thrain of the Shire
Hobbit

Great Question...

and one I have been pondering as I have read so many posts which have different views based on different readings.

I mean, we all know that JRR "developed" the world of ME and that, later in life, he actually changed many things (the whole Orcs from Elves versus Orcs from Men issue being just one) -- so I too would like to know if there is a "final version" or whether we just have to be specific as to which book we are following -- especially since many of the later books were really manuscripts collected and edited by his family, not him...

It's a bit like our Red Book -- there are many copies and each one tells it slightly differently.....
Thrain of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 05:56 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

It's completely a matter of opinion. I will only say that it's pretty well known that Tolkien felt bound by what was published in hs life (when he remembered), and this includes The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit or There And Back Again, The Road Goes Ever On (with Donald Swann) and The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.
Old 01-26-2002, 07:45 PM   #4
Findegil
Elven Warrior

That's it Inoldonil. J.R.R. Tolkien didn't publish The Silmarillion that was done by his son. Chritopher. Chritsopher did also publish The History of Middle-Earth. (Small) Parts of The Silmarillion are really written by the editor. But in The History of Middle-Earth you can see clearly what is a komentray of the Editor and what is J.R.R. Tolkiens text, you get even some information about the manuskript and his history.

So for me it is clear that The History of Middle-Earth overrules The Silmarillion in anypoint of disagreement. But that doesn't settle the question of the final version since many texts in The History of Middle-Earth did speak one again the other.

The intresting question is how did we find a "weighting" for the texts?

Regards
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 07:58 PM   #5
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I suppose the Silmarillion version is the most readable and complete. The additions (and I've only skimmed Morgoth's Ring) look rather sketchy.
Old 01-27-2002, 02:27 AM   #6
Sirithdal
Hobbit

Tom Bombadil

The smoking canon is whatever JRR allows, even once, in my opinion. Lattitude should be embraced not constantly pilloried. The idea of canon in film-making, though, has an auspicious new entry in Jackson's The Fellowship of the Ring. This stands with the best that's been done in the film medium; it may even be better! But let's not forget Tolkien, who certainly deserves to be re-recognized as one of the most important writers of pure fiction of the Twentieth Century, an author whose flesh, muscle and bones body of philological and canonical work sets him apart from much of the trash.

Last edited by Sirithdal : 01-27-2002 at 02:41 AM.
Sirithdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 09:35 AM   #7
sbpollo1
Sapling

Very eloquent Sirithadal and I totally agree.
sbpollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 08:14 AM   #8
Findegil
Elven Warrior

I am sorry Sirithdale, but I can't totally agree with you.
The question is for what are you locking in the bocks of JRR Tolkien. If you only search for a diving board for your owne fantasy, then you are totally right. (And I agree with you that Peter Jackson had gone that way.) But if you would like that your fantasy fits in the Story of JRR Tolkien you had to be more serious about what is in their and what isn't.
And some (like me) will search for something like the "truth of Middle-Earth". That is hard and dry work and far away from fantasy. It is much more like the work of a historian. It will led you to read the texts over and over again. You will never stop learning about Middle-Earth. And it is much nicer when you have found some people to discuse with. But you will find that liberty is small in this area.

Best Regards
Findegil
Old 01-28-2002, 01:17 PM   #9
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

There could be an "internal" canon explanation-Bilbo's Silmarrillion is an inaccurate translation of what actually happened, allowing us to read Morgoth's Ring with an unburdened heart.
Old 01-28-2002, 05:27 PM   #10
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

'But you will find that liberty is small in this area. '

How do you mean?
Old 01-29-2002, 07:52 AM   #11
Findegil
Elven Warrior

Markedel is right with his fiew. We can say all stuff is "demaged" by the trading down trugh all this years until we can read it. That few must be part of any "source analysis". But it can't be the only point of fiew.

@Inodonil: What I menat was that, if you want that your piont of feiw is to stand a discussion in such a groupe of "Tolkien historians" you had to stick very close to your source texts. You can of course go mad with your theory about a special event, but to discuss it in such a groupe you need strong evidences out the text or noboddy will even listen intently.

Regards
Findegil
Old 02-04-2002, 12:08 AM   #12
Sirithdal
Hobbit

Tom Bombadil Wie gehts?

Quote:
Originally posted by Findegil
But if you would like that your fantasy fits in the Story of JRR Tolkien you had to be more serious about what is in their and what isn't. . . And it is much nicer when you have found some people to discuse with. But you will find that liberty is small in this area.

Best Regards
Findegil

What I was trying to say is that if Tolkien is ambiguous about something (such as his Tom Bombadil), then we should be given as much lattitude in our interpretation as the given discrepancy allows. In these cases I think we are encouraged to speculate. But it is here that I strongly agree with you, because the speculation or theory must "fit" the facts and the spirit of what JRR has given us. Kein problem!

(Wo ist Geilenkirchen?)

Last edited by Sirithdal : 02-04-2002 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:29 PM   #13
Findegil
Elven Warrior

Nun Sirithdal, Geilenkirchen ist eine aufstrebende Kleinstadt im Kreis Heinsberg. Der Kreis Heisnberg ist der westlichste Kreis der Bundesrepulik Deutschland. Und Geilenkirchen liegt ungefähr in der Mitte zwischen Aachen und Mönchengladbach.

Hochachtungsvoll
Findegil

P.S.: Sorry for all this German talk, but since the Question was in German too, and I don't think ther is much intersst for the answer in a more international speech, it was easier for me to give it in German.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:36 AM   #14
Sirithdal
Hobbit

Tom Bombadil

Ich wußte nicht daß Deutschland Kreise hatte. Und steigende Kreise, an dem! Blimey!

Last edited by Sirithdal : 02-05-2002 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:21 AM   #15
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Ach so,

Was ist das im English? Mein Deutsch ist noch nicht so gut.

Danke,

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 11:08 AM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yeah, my German is not so good either. Plus it is impolite to speak in another language that some don't understand, and it confuses the moderator. How do I know if you're flaming or not?
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 01:51 PM   #17
Findegil
Elven Warrior

Oh, it seems I had waken some intersset. Well I will trie a translation for you:

"Well Sirithdale, Geilenkirchen is a small but up coming town in the district of Heinsberg. The district of Heinsberg is the most westerly district of the Federal Republic of Germany. And Geilenkirchen is located nearly in the middle between Aachen and Mönchengladbach.

Respectfully
Findegil"

Since I dont think anybody out side Germany will know were the citys of Aachen and Mönchengladbach are located , I will give you an simpler discription: If you lock on a map for the three-country-point were Germany, Belgium and the Nederlands join, you will be about 30 km south east of my home.

Respectfully
Findegil

P.S.: I hope this would have pass the censors even when they would have been able to read it.

P.P.S: I trie never to flame and normlay I am successfull at that.

Last edited by Findegil : 02-05-2002 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:00 PM   #18
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Findegil
Oh, it seems I had waken some intersset. Well I will trie a translation for you:

"Well Sirithdale, Geilenkirchen is a small but up coming town in the district of Heinsberg. The district of Heinsberg is the most westerly district of the Federal Republic of Germany. And Geilenkirchen is located nearly in the middle between Aachen and Mönchengladbach.

Respectfully
Findegil"

Since I dont think anybody out side German will now were the Citys of Aachen an d Mönchengladbach are located , I will give you an simpler discription: If you lock on a map for the three-country-point were Germany, Belgium and the Nederlans join, you will be about 30 km south east of me home.

Respectfully
Findegil

P.S.: I hope this would have pass the censors even when they would have been able to read it.

P.P.S: I trie never to flame and are
Thank you for the translation Findegil. I know you know I was kidding. I even have a hard time speaking and reading English, let alone anything else. God, I need to go back to school for a refresher
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 10:15 PM   #19
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

i see,

There were a lot of names in it. Nice to learn new things everyday.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote