FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-21-2000, 02:45 AM   #1
Pepper the Mad

Did Aragorn make the right choice?

Eowyn (pros):
Rich dad
Hot
Puts out
Willing to do housework (unless there's a war on)
Falls for the "hard to get" strategy (Aragorn's preferred tactic)

Arwen (pros):
Rich dad
Hot
Willing to delegate housework
Has funky ears (Aragorn's preferred fetish)

Eowyn (cons):
Unfaithful
Could kick Aragorn's ass
King fetish leading to temporary relationship only
Likes to wear Aragorn's clothes now and again

Arwen (cons):
Overprotective dad (possible "I married a mortal" spite factor)
Immortal (infinite expensive birthday presents)
Likely to remarry in time
Elf (future son might be called "Mongrel Boy son of Aragorn" at school)

Shelob (pros):
Has cool secluded pad.

Shelob (cons):
Fat disgusting spider.
Dead.

Eowyn vs. Arwen (I think Shelob would get eliminated first round). Since LOTR's first print in the 50s sometime academics and scholars have been reclining back in their den chairs, toking on their pipes and screaming like little girls trying to resolve LOTR's oldest mass debate. The great argument "It's all a matter of personal preference" has been refuted with the even greater "Let us have our fun, hippy". So I wish to introduce this age old topic to Entmoot in the name of academic progress, enlightenment, and the hope of a grand old laugh at someone else's expense. I shall clarify the question:

Who should Aragorn have chosen? Arwen or Eowyn?

The precondition of appealing to Aragorn's preferences alone eliminates any subjectivity based on opinion. I have summarised half a century of debate above, by stating the relevant characteristics of each to Aragorn. I'll also refer you to this debate's only known precedent, known here as Exhibit A: "Coming to America", where Prince Azim of Some Made Up African Country faced an almost identical situation, but with more emphasis on the father situation than the relative merits of the two fine young ladies. Some stipulate that "Coming to America" is a valid precedent because the non father-related characteristics of the women cancel each other out. Others argue that "Coming to America" is not an valid precedent because it contains Arsenio Hall, the Prince's father was the most un-Arathornish Darth Vader, and anything from the 80s just plain sucks anyway. Most do agree however, that Eddie Murphy would make an excellent Aragorn.

More to come as time permits. Please join in.

- Originally appeared at www.nightly.net/lotr
Old 12-22-2000, 09:05 PM   #2
Grand Admiral Reese

Re: Did Aragorn make the right choice?

Shelob isn't dead. She just lost an eye.

Arwen was the right choice for him. Eowyn may have been hot, but would you give up a Half-elf for a mere mortal woman?
Old 12-23-2000, 08:39 AM   #3
arynetrek

in this case i think i can say more with "no comment" than with any other words

aryne *

PS - prepare for a REAL aragorn discussion thread as soon as i gather some more evidence
Old 12-23-2000, 09:11 AM   #4
the Lorien wanderer

The question doesn't quite seem debatable to me. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he loved Arwen and not Eowyn. So why the thread at all?
Old 12-23-2000, 12:41 PM   #5
Pepper the Mad

Why the thread at all?

I guess this thread is a debate of sorts. But more a debate where information is interpreted creatively and logic suspended in an amusing manner, as Grand Admiral Reese did above. I figure you can accept it as a bland static fact of the story that Arwen was the right choice, or you can have some fun speculating. Not your cup of tea, obviously, people.

Thanks for the info Reese. My knowledge is a little rusty. I suppose I should replace that "con" with "possible mistresses terrified of her wrath", or something.

Hmm. Seems I'm a little too silly/unfunny for Entmoot's liking. On NN someone even introduced "The Galadriel factor" into this debate, and we had some fun with pictures. LOL. Get along, kids.

- Pepper.
Old 12-23-2000, 04:46 PM   #6
Eruve

Re: Why the thread at all?

Here's a definite con for Shelob: it's stated somewhere that she devoured her mates... Or was that Ungoliant? Can't remember, but I wouldn't put it past Shelob to do the same.
Old 12-23-2000, 09:33 PM   #7
Gilthalion

Actually, I think Arwen was the ultimate in hard to get, unlike Eowyn, who was clearly easier (at least for Aragorn).

Also, if Aragorn was concerned about breeding and if he had any dynastic pretension, clearly Arwen also had the better pedigree.

On the other hand, Eowyn was a blonde. Clearly, she had more fun in the novels.

This short coming is expected to be amended in the cinematic release.
Old 01-04-2001, 10:55 PM   #8
Eowyn99

my opinion... the one that matters the most, of course.
first of all, i want to know where you got the idea that eowyn "puts out" from?
anyways though, i think that eowyn should've married tom bombadil, because tom bombadil was hot. faramir was hot too, but he was wimpy. kinda like Celeborn... really galadriel was the one who ruled lothlorien, celeborn just sat on his fat ass all day. tom bombadil has a nice ass. not a fat one.
Old 01-05-2001, 02:29 PM   #9
Eruve

Yeah, but isn't Tom Bombadil taken already?
Old 01-09-2001, 08:05 AM   #10
Elanor

Now, there are some other factors you have to consider here. There was the whole Beren/Luthien precedent already set, and Aragorn was in a similar position as Big Man Chief as Beren had been. He considered himself as tough as Beren and no doubt had hero-worshipped him all his life. Also he had that little tiny bit of half-elf blood and that "nobleness" (a.k.a. sense of social superiority) that made him want to be king and be the best at everything. So he already has this great respect for Elrond, and then suddenly there's this woman who reputedly looks like a reincarnation of Luthien dancing, like Luthien, in the trees, and he calls her Tinuviel and falls in love. (here I get a line running through my head from Disney's Beauty and the Beast...Gaston: "In this town there's only she, who is beautiful as me...", though perhaps that's stretching it a little.) And so he dreams of her all the time, and he's on his way to become king when this little insignificant Rohan girl gets in the way. Well, he's a noble man, so he treats her nice, but you can't expect him to actually pay any real attention to her. The perfect solution: get a nice, well-bred, not-quite-so-noble man with no elvish pretentions but still with some political significance to meet her in the houses of healing and fall in love. Now he can concentrate all his attention on the woman who may not have magic like Luthien or the guts to confront Sauron face-to-face, but still looks quite a lot like her. Now they can all live happily ever after.
Old 01-10-2001, 12:37 AM   #11
Eowyn99

so Aragorn had a huge stick up his ass, what else is new?
anyways... i still would like to know why exactly they were saying earlier that eowyn was easy. that's one impression i definately never got..
Old 01-10-2001, 03:55 PM   #12
Fat middle

well, after a life serving to his uncle and having almost no time to flirt with guys, she met Aragorn and inmediatly fell in love. then she met Faramir and fell in love again...

man, if Merry would have been one foot taller i bet she'd have fallen in love with him too
Old 02-17-2001, 07:39 PM   #13
ArbiWan

Quote:
man, if Merry would have been one foot taller i bet she'd have fallen in love with him too
Lol!

A tip for dealing with 'Pepper the Mad' - never take him seriously.
Old 02-24-2001, 09:01 PM   #14
Tobold Hornblower

Yeah, did Aragorn have a choice?
1) He was in love with one of the most noble and beautiful women in ME, and she in him.
2) Wasn´t there a question of destiny, in that the marriage brought together the sundered lines from their mutual past. I think that was hinted somewhere.
Old 02-25-2001, 02:04 AM   #15
Spock1

It was Shelob last child of U. TTT
Old 02-26-2001, 05:56 AM   #16
Doll Tearsheet

Wisdom?

. Wisdom makes life endurable.

Can't wisdom make life UNbearable?

Ignorance is bliss!

(Thinking of the philological implications of Frodo's name).
Old 02-28-2001, 04:10 PM   #17
Tobold Hornblower

Philological implications of Frodo´s name

I don´t know how we ended up here but I would relish to hear more of the philological implications of Frodo´s name? Suppose you have thought about them, Doll Tearsheat?
Old 02-28-2001, 04:12 PM   #18
Tobold Hornblower

Philological implications of Frodo´s name

I don´t know how we ended up here but I would relish to hear more of the philological implications of Frodo´s name? Suppose you have thought about them, Doll Tearsheet?