Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2002, 10:00 PM   #1
sepulchrave
Enting

gormenghast

I'm dipping my hook into the pond to see whether there is anyone on this forum who might have read Mervyn Peakes masterpieces, the Titus series? Comments, comparisons?
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 11:07 AM   #2
Talera
Sapling

I'm a bit confused! Do you mean has anyone read Gormenghast? I haven't actually read the book but I watched the BBC adaption (I don't know if you've seen it) which was really good. I'd quite like to read the book but I haven't got round to it yet! If you've seen the adaption do you think that it isnt' as good as the book?
Talera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 03:24 AM   #3
sepulchrave
Enting

I enjoyed the adaptation, but I think the book is a literary masterpiece! In my humble opinion, although it is a totally different experience than The Lord of the Rings, it ranks along side it as an equal in my view. I read the Ring when I was quite young, and the Titus books when I was twenty eight or so, but it took that long to find a book as thoroughly enjoyable. (A polite nod to CS Lewis [Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, & That Hideous Strength], and George MacDonald [Phantastes & Lilith]) I strongly recommend Peakes books as the top of the pile, fantasy-wise!
btw, the titles of Peakes three books are:
Titus Groan
Gormenghast
Titus Alone
Old 01-25-2002, 10:32 AM   #4
Talera
Sapling

Thanx! I'll have to give them a try!
Talera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 02:07 PM   #5
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Gormenghast is fantastic! I read it and the world is so gothic and dark. Very good - preferably read in the dark under the covers.
Play Girl

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 12:33 AM   #6
Sirithdal
Hobbit

Gormenghast!!

Sure! It's one of the best things I've ever read for sheer brilliance of it's prose, for it's character delineations, gothic ethos and incredible humor. It's a completely different type of fantasy, of course. I refer and reread it's scintillating pages even more often than I do The Lord of the Rings. This is one of the great trilogies ever written and it alone ranks with Tolkien's epic.

Sirithdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 08:37 PM   #7
Mihara of Yeldar
Sapling

Saw part of it in orchestra, just a tad bit on the weird side. Maybe 'twould be better if I saw all of it.
horrid, because then you have to wear those ugly red robes."

I cannot fight a battle of the minds with someone who is unarmed.
Mihara of Yeldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 12:49 AM   #8
sepulchrave
Enting

it is so good to see that some have enjoyed this incredible work as I have! I tried it when I was thirteen, but it was not until I was in my twenties that I was ready for it. When I finally got a copy, I was living in a little cabin in the country. I didn't leave the cabin for four and a half days!! I was rivetted by the splendid writing, the sumptuous description and the incredible visuals that the book brought forth. I have never read anything so profoundly visual. It was not until later that I discovered that Peake was an artist of some renown, and at that point a lot of things made sense. The book is soaked in light and darkness, shadows and colour. In addition, the character studies are remarkable, unlike anything else I have encountered before or since. I love this book!!!
Old 02-06-2002, 09:15 AM   #9
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

i've only seen the mini-series, which had me awe-struck. the only flaw i found in it's length was my inability to tear myself away for a toilet break! incidentally, was anyone aware that a handful of the actors from gormenghast were in harry potter? i can't look at aunt petunia without thinking about prunesquallor's sister *shudder* i guess all the gormenghast characters had that affect on me - a sort of intruiged revulsion, if that makes sense.

*ceases gibberish*

i'll have to get the trilogy to read now, although it's going to be added to a fairly large (and ever-growing) "to read" pile.
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote