Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2002, 01:06 PM   #1
Darkside Spirit
Hobbit

Bombadil's existence DENIED by the movie

At the start of the film it says something like "The first age of the world is lost, for none now live who remember it" (if anyone can remember the exact wording, please correct me). Tom Bombadil is the oldest of the old - if you wade through much symbolism and romance concerning him, you get the idea that he has existed from the beginning of the world.

Therefore, for Bombadil to exist at all (not just be left out of the storyline), there must be at least one person who remembers the first age. Ergo, Bombadil doesn't even exist as far as the movie is concerned. Third most important character that has been "killed" - after Elendil and Gil-galad.
Darkside Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 01:12 PM   #2
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Let's not forget Bombadil doesn't exist in the film

Anyway, I have always taken the intro to be a 'look back', not from the tail end of the Third Age, but from NOW 2002 AD.

Remember that LotR and everything is a replacement history for this earth and England in particular.

This means to me, no-one remembers the first age means none of US people, you me everyone.

Galadriel does this voice over because she was the only person (excluding Bombadil and, possibly Fangorn) who was actually in Middle Earth from early in the First Age through to the start of the Fourth Age. Therefore I take the introduction as from her point of view in the west to humans now 2002 AD.

It also lends a special potency to the words regarding 'fact became legend, legend became myth' - how lucky we were that Tolkien found the Book of Westmarch and translated it into English for us
Old 01-12-2002, 01:15 PM   #3
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

i think you're taking this line too literally. Anyway, Bombadil importance for the rest of the world is minimal. He wasn't interested in the world outside his forest.

Cirdan would be the one killed by that line if you want to take it literally.

Why do you say Elendil and Gil-Galad have been killed by the movie?
Old 01-12-2002, 01:17 PM   #4
Gerbil
Elf Lord

My other point, which I failed to put in that post, was that all history changes in the re-telling, either through fortgetfulness (unlikely in Galadriel's case) or through better story-telling.

We didn't need to know Elendil or Gil-galad's name - indeed the film itself is very short on actual names (I've mentioned this elsewhere, but as examples - Galdriel is said once only by herslef, and Minas Tirith is never mentioned at all, it's always the white city).

For the discerning you'll also note the change in emphasis on Gollum's origins - in the intro it's almost as if he was the creature Gollum before he found the ring, not smeagol who killed Deagol (the actual ring-finder).

Which is a shame, because much of Tolkien's humanisation of Gollum in TTT and RotK comes from his shared history with Hobbits and the realisation he was once a free person.
Old 01-12-2002, 05:34 PM   #5
Darth Tater
The man

This is rediculous, by your reasoning Fangorn doesn't exist either.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 07:37 PM   #6
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Celeborn, Gandalf (and the other Istari), Elrond, Cirdan and Sauron all lived in the first age also.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 07:43 PM   #7
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

Strider

I was kinda upset by the fact that Tom Bambadil wasn't in the movie. I wanted to see what they would have thought he looked like and I wanted to see whay they would have made the old forest look like.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 07:55 PM   #8
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Istari were not in middle earth from 1st through to 4th age.
Elrond was not born until 2nd age (or was it tail end of first age?)
Sauron is hardly likely to recount the story
Cirdan, like Celeborn, were not part of the Eldar - they never really knew about what went on in Valinor or any of that stuff. Also, I think again they were not born near the start of the first age (not sure when Cirdan was born at all!).
Old 01-12-2002, 08:02 PM   #9
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Cirdan, You are joking right? He was old as you could get, it is thought that he was one of the first Elves to awaken.

Quote:
Istari were not in middle earth from 1st through to 4th age.
I meant as their Maia form, same as Sauron.

Celeborn, was born in Gondolin I believe.

Elrond was born at the end of the first age.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 06:32 AM   #10
Lightice
Elven Warrior

And Gandalf visited Middle Earth many times before his quest as part of Istari. It's mentioned in Silmarillion, that Olorin loved to walk among elves and men unseen, or as one of them, giving them inspiration and beautifut thoughts. So we might guess, that he knew lots about happenings of ME before becoming part of Istari.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 10:04 AM   #11
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Oops, apologies about Cirdan - I knew I was on shaky ground
Old 01-13-2002, 11:39 AM   #12
Darkside Spirit
Hobbit

Tater's spelling is likewise rediculous
Darkside Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 12:00 PM   #13
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Wasn't Cirdan shown in the movie with Galadriel and Elrond (or was it his father Eärendel) as one of the 3 early bearers of the elven rings?

What do you guys think?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 12:38 PM   #14
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Yup, I thought that.

But when were the rings made? I thought it was second age, not first...
Old 01-13-2002, 04:40 PM   #15
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I think that "none now live who remember" was a reference of the world in 2002, and that Galadriel wasn't speaking, as narrator, from inside the story, but outside it, like a Greek chorus.

Also, Cirdan certainly was alive in the First Age, as were Galadriel, Celeborn, Thranduil, and other Elves not named in the film. Elrond and his brother, Elros, were both born towards the end of the first Age.

Celebrimbor forged the Three Elven Rings in approximately 1500-1590, Second Age.

Earendil did not possess one of the Elven Rings, as they were manufactured far after his passing into the West. The three original possessors were Galadriel, Cirdan, and Gil-Galad. Cirdan's ring was given by him to Gandalf upon Olorin's arrival at the Grey Havens from the West; Gil-Galad's ring went to his Herald, Elrond Half-Elven.

As for Bombadil, a MINOR, unimportant character to the entire story, he is not really all that missed in the great scheme of things. He only influences his own forest, and has no part in the major events of the story, unlike Fangorn/Treebeard.

Also, simply because a name is not mentioned in the film does not mean that the film KILLED THEM OFF. Thranduil is not mentioned, nor is Thrain, but both can be considered to exist, except outside the boundaries of the film's tale.

Gollum's "relationship" to Hobbits may very well be covered in The Two Towers film.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 04:45 PM   #16
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
About Gollum

In the movie, PJ actually does, very slightly imply that Gollum was not always whatever he is after he gets the ring. You'll see that when the hand grabs the ring out of the water, it is very human/hobbit like, but then, when they show his hand open with the ring in it, it is grey.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 05:02 PM   #17
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Good points, Starr, although we readers of the books know it was not Smeagol who took the Ring from the depths of Anduin, but Deagol.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 06:23 PM   #18
Hapira_Brandybuck
Enting

In the end, the only thing Bombadil contributes to the story is rescuing the hobbits from the Barrow-downs where they got their swords

they got around that by simply having Aragorn give them to them

but.... isn't it ..... Pippin or Merry's barrow-blade that helped to slay (Kill.... whatever happened to it) the King of the Nazgul? ...... hmm

edit: also, I do believe I heard a cry of "Elendil" out of Legolas or Aragorn during the battle on the shores of the Anduin or maybe it was just my imagination so... yeah

'My dear Frodo!' exclaimed Gandalf. 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.

Last edited by Hapira_Brandybuck : 01-13-2002 at 06:27 PM.
Hapira_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 06:34 PM   #19
Messa
Sapling

Gollum

Gerbil, maybe the ring fell back into the water when Smeagol killed Deagol
Messa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 06:42 PM   #20
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Well, Deagol is really as unnecessary as Bombadil. His only contribution is showing how the Ring takes a hold on Smeagol immediately and makes him kill his best friend, as well as explaining Smeagol's quick fall into evil by showing that he started his ownership of it with murder. None of which REALLY needs to be explained in the movie.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote