Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-09-2002, 03:34 PM   #1
Hot_Wings
Sapling

Strider Into the Barrow

To play along, just tell me your character's name, race and favored weapon.

You sit in the Prancing Pony waiting for your drinks. As the lightning flashes outside, you notice two cloaked figures sitting in an alcove, sipping on a dark brew. The flashes of light illuiminate there faces for a moment. You see one has finely chiseled features and the other a brown bear stretching to his belly. The one with the tangle of a beard comes up to you. "You got a problem or something?"

"SCHNIKIES" Chris Farely
Hot_Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 04:50 PM   #2
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Before I start I just wanna know if magic in your world of tolkien is subtle and Tolkien like. Or is it standard RPG fare?

If this a world that reflects Tolkien's where races are not balanced and magic is subtle and not very prevalent then I'll

Glady play.

But if it is standard RPG fare like MERP I'll pass. ( they had great supplements though)

What time period is your game in?

You obviously like RPG's I would prefer this ( a LOTR RPG) to Star Wars,

Check out the following sites you might like them All dealing LOTR RPG's

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lotrrpg_coda/

http://www.decipher.com/lordoftheri...essrelease.html

http://www.decipher.com/lordoftheri.../index.html#rpg

http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp...18101620&page=1

also if you wish i've some middle earth stuff based on Amber, Gurps, and a modified MERP race chart for stats

i can send an attachment to your email

i try to pass on cool stuff to those who i think will like it

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-09-2002 at 04:55 PM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 11:11 AM   #3
Hot_Wings
Sapling

Strider

This RPG is totaly Tolkien universe. I like to play in about "Two Towers" era. Thanks to Afro-Elf for the sites, I would like to get that attachment from you.

Wingy

"Save the Hot pants!" - The Captain from "The Simpsons"
Old 01-10-2002, 04:13 PM   #4
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Just sent the stuff to your email

You may want to also check out.

www.Merp.com

and www.otherhands.com

I'll start my character stuff within 24 hours.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-11-2002, 09:21 AM   #5
Legolas
Elven Warrior

I'm interested in joining.
My name would be... Is Legolas allowed? If not, then I will be Grelin.
My race: Mirkwood elf, who LOVES poetry, music, wilderness and can't understand what he's ding in Bree Also, he knows a little bit about magic and how to use it, is a good traveler and imaginative.
My fav weapon is a Lorien bow. I don't have it, so I use a Mirkwood bow, which is just like the Lorien one, only a little bit less powerful. When my arrow-case is empty, I take my two deadly - poisoned daggers.

Is this enough?
Old 01-11-2002, 10:12 AM   #6
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Here is the run down of my character. If you approve this then I'll start playing.

As can be seen form my moniker I wish to play a brown skinned Elf. However, I like to stay relatively close to the works of Tolkien.

With some help from this board, I've come up with the Sindarian name Baravair. It is Sindarian for Brown Avari. Basically, since this group of Elves is the most varied and unexplored group of Elves, it seemed the easiest to place them here.

If you need some more info I can link the threads where they are discussed here.

His Sindarian name is Malathor ( golden eagle)

As a plot background I'll say that he is a very young Elf perhaps 119. He is imdued with wanderlust. However, it is a dangerous world and Malathor is a highly skilled warrior, outdoorsman and healer*( see below). While not a loremaster per se is fairly well versed in lore of many kinds. Born in Nothern Mirkwood he was one of the companions of Legolas, when the kings son went to Rivendell. While Legolas accompanied the Fellowship, and the other Elves of Mirkwood returned home, Malathor traveled west with Galdor, Cirdan's representitive to the council of Elrond. After spending time at the Grey Havens, he joined one of the Wandering companies heading east and has decided to stay in Bree for a few days to gather information before heading back to Rivendell to decide what course of action he should take next.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-11-2002, 10:48 AM   #7
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Oops,I forgot.

Being bred in Mirkwood he is proficent with a bow. But, also uses two swords. ( There seems to be a trend here) They are longer than the Roman Gladus but shorter than long swords. Their hilts are longer and heavier than most, due to the fact they are forged in a way "catch" a weapon.

As for magic and healing it is along Tolkien's line. Nothing like a cure light wounds spell in DnD or fireballs.

For the poster above, since he is a Legolas fanboy, perhaps he could have been with me on my travels since we are both from Mirkwood.

BUT are poison daggers along the lines of an Elf?

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-11-2002, 11:02 AM   #8
Hot_Wings
Sapling

Strider

Afro_elf, your character is great. I like your Idea of Traveling with Legolas. No magic, but you have knowledge of herbs and plants. Save the magic for wizards.
Legolas, your character is also fine if he is Grelin. The daggers are fine, but what kind of poison are they coated with?
We can start when we get a couple more characters.

Wingy

"When will the hurting stop?"- Bill from Eek the Cat
Old 01-11-2002, 12:05 PM   #9
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Cool. No problem here.

Legolas are you a native Russian speaker? If so did you read LOTR in English or Russian?

How old are you BTW. You seem bilingual. I ask because you listed a Baltic state as your location. Or were you just birn there?

BTW one of my ex-girlfriends has a female character named
greAlin.

Hot wings there is a person who just inquired about a RPG on another thread. Maybe you two could collaberate on a tale OR alternate between player and GM.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-11-2002 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:45 PM   #10
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Malathor's phyiscal description:

Like all Elven kind he is tall and handsome. He has rich earth brown skin which is contrasted by golden eyes. His hair is thick and long ( like a mulatto person), which is usually pulled back into a long braid.

He wears a quiver/backpack and has slits in his cloak for the straps to pass through.

My bow has two catches on the side, so it can be firmly attached to my quiver/backpack.

His armor is hardened leather. Did you see the ORIGINAL Heavy metal movie?

Go to this link here to see

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/anim...arnaarmor.html

The differences being that my greaves are on both arms and extend to cover my lower arms.

AND , she is in a bikini and I'm in a breast plate covering my clothes, which are dark.

On the outside of, the inside the of my gloves are pieces of metal to protect my hands if I ever has to grab my sword in a two handed block or to grab another blade. I've thigh greaves also.
and a piece of metal down the front and interior my boots.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-11-2002 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:59 PM   #11
Legolas
Elven Warrior

afro-elf, why do you think I am Russian? Due to my character's name? If that's the reason, then you were confused.
I AM Lithuanian. I was born in Klaipeda (Memel it was), and now I live in Vilnius. I've read LotR in Lithuanian, as also the Hobbit. I don't speak Russian. And I'm nearly 15.

Hot_wings, my char will be Hawair then (just to insure that no other people think I'm Russian). What about daggers, it's OK, I won't use poison at all

Hawair, as well as Malathor, was a friend to Legolas. They all travelled to Rivendell, and, when Legolas parted with the Fellowship, Hawair went to visit Bree, about which he heard many good things. He was pleased to meet Malathor there.

Physical description:
tall, bright-skinned, long hair (just like Legolas's in the film). He has green eyes, a short eaglish nose, pointed ears (of course) and a small mouth, as well as thin cheek.

A bit more:
he likes literature, poetry, music, wilderness, etc etc. He isn't a brute guy, but when it comes to killing, he is great. Skilled with a bow, can shoot a flying eagle Uses daggers, with whom is lethally precise. But, as said before, he doesn't like fights. He always tries to solve matters diplomatically, except the matters with Orcs.

Last edited by Legolas : 01-11-2002 at 01:16 PM.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 01:06 PM   #12
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'll join if I may.

I too am an elf (dang this is getting repeditive)

I am about 80 years old.

I am 5'11 tall

I was born in Lorin but I left it 10 years ago to go exploring.

as for weapons I have a short bow and I am skilled at martal arts.

I know a few of the words of command and will call upon them at any time I feel I might need them.

well thats all for now.

Last edited by Tessar : 01-11-2002 at 01:10 PM.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 01:38 PM   #13
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Legolas

I thought that you might have been a native Russian speaker, since Lithuania was a former Soviet state. I have several friends from former Soviet republics and they all speak Russian.

How long have you studied English? You seem quite proficent.

Tesseract 12

The GM said NO MAGIC FOR PLAYERS.

It will be rare and subtle in this game like like the latter days of the 3rd age. Only wizards and such will use magic.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-11-2002, 01:45 PM   #14
Legolas
Elven Warrior

afro-elf, I don't speak Russian at all. I was born in 1987, and I started going to school in 1993. Lithuania was totally independent this time, so I chose English as my first foreign language, and German as second.
I started studying English when I was 7. I started German when I was 10. French - when I was 11. Italian and Quenya - when I was 14.
Now I speak English and French very good, German - bad (the teachers very stupid), and Italian and Quenya - just started.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:52 PM   #15
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Cool. A great linquist in the making.

I've asked a few others to join this rpg. If they do,perhaps we can start adventuring together.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-11-2002, 02:05 PM   #16
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

dang I missed that bit.
sorry.

ok no magic
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 02:28 PM   #17
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Hey T12

Rememeber we are trying to keep it Tolkien like. More along the lines of the book as opposed to the movies.

Martial arts may not be appropriate for the Tolkien feel.

BUT you should ask hot wings to verify.

Also, you might wanna think of a weapon to use if you run out of arrows.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-11-2002, 03:45 PM   #18
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

Arwen Undomiel New Character

So this is TTT time, good. I just finished that. Everyonhe I know said it was dark and dreary, but I thought it was hilarious. Anyway, I think I'll join here, if I get a little more background. I just started learning Quenya/Sindarin if anyone's interested. I speak German, English, and Spanish fluently, and I know tidbits of most common languages (italian, french, russian, japanese, etc). Does anyone know where I can find an actual course in Quenya or Sindarin?

My character is called Nariel (Which in Sindarin means Starshine)
She is an elf (there's a lot of us around here). When in need of a pseudonym, she goes by Linsul (Windsong in Sindarin). I'll probably start out in the story giving this name, and if any character gets to know her better, I'll reveal her real name.

She grew up in Rhovanion (Esgaroth) and lived a slow (2000-year) life. She remembers a lot, but she's never left Rhovanion. . After a long time, she began to get tired of this. So she left to wander the woods. She became quite proficient with a bow (she's really really really good) and lethal with daggers (especially when throwing them). These are her weapons of choice, though she prefers the bow.

After wandering in the woods for a few decades, she came to cross the Misty Mountains and showed up in Rivendell, where everyone was so tense, that she had to leave.

So she went to Bree in search of an Adventure.

Appearance: red/brown long straight hair, bright keen green eyes, about 6'1", and tanned skin (but not brown-skinned).

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Nariel Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 03:46 PM   #19
Hot_Wings
Sapling

Strider Characters

1.Magic is wizards, if a PC is a minor wizard, it's ok with me.
2.Hullo Tesseract
3. Too many elves. Ugh. Who created these magnificant creatures? Oh right, Tolkien, yea yea.
It's ok. we'll see if we can balance it out soon with more characters.
4. Actualy, Martial Arts is ok. It would be nothing like Karate or Judo, but more along the lines of Savat (French).
We should be able to start soon. If you got any ?s just post.

Wingy Baby
Old 01-11-2002, 03:56 PM   #20
Hot_Wings
Sapling

Strider Of Elves And Potatos

Hullo Nariel

I just wanted to point out that we have two guys in their early twenties, One venerable elf still adventuring, and a 7 year old.

I'm going to go eat mashed taters now.

Wingy

"When in doubt, burn it down."
-Haspher the Plain, Gnome adventurer, inventor and slayer of electical outlets.