Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-09-2002, 05:46 AM   #1
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Stuff we'd like to see in the next 2 films

Hi!

This is just my 2nd or 3rd post here but I am wondering what people are interested in asking PJ (if he, by any chance) reads stumbles on this forum.

Personally I would like to see:
1. A grand battle at Helm's deep, of course!
2. The Ents!
3. Merry and Pippin actually shown to have grown
4. Sharky's end at the Shire
5.Shelob
6. The flying Nazgul!
7. And before everything else, I hope they expound on Gandalf's battle with the Balrog (for the hopefully fewer Tolkien-challenged people by then)
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 06:53 AM   #2
CaranIstar
Hobbit

Strider

What do I want? For starters, before TT actually starts, a bit saying that it was based on the novel by JRR Tolkien, and that it was part 2 of 3, and a trailer for TRoTK at the end.

Might prevent the Tolkien-ignorant from whining at the end.

But what I really want?
1. Sauron incarnating before the end.
2. A really good chase by Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli.
3. Great battles on the Pelennor fields and at Helm's Deep, including Legolas' and Gimli's contest.
etc etc.
CaranIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 08:57 PM   #3
Gimli son of Gloin
Sapling

Gimli

This is what I want. I saw it a week and a half ago with my aunt and uncle and they thought the spirit of Sauron which the movie said was still floating around possesed Sauraman, so I want to see a good explanation of the differance between Saron and Sauraman.

Gimli son of Gloin- The Two Towers
Gimli son of Gloin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 09:08 PM   #4
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

The one thing I most want to see is Gollum's almost-redemption. But I'd also like a truly terrifying Morgul city, Ent-draughts, and Pippin messing with Grishnakh's head!

I really despise Orcs, but their names are so cool! Ugluk, Snaga, Gorbag!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 12:01 AM   #5
Butterburr
Hobbit

I want to see Gimli and Legolas doing their "headcount" at Helm's Deep, the Ents entering Isengard, the Paths of the Dead, and especially Eowyn's battle with the Nazgul King.
Butterburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 10:25 AM   #6
dymchurch
Sapling

Gwahier was sooooo cool that I'm now a Gwahier addict but the "fix" was such a tease! As we all know, he appears again toward the end of RotK. Please! Mr. Jackson give me a more satisfying giant eagle "fix".
dymchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 11:07 AM   #7
Pailan
Elven Warrior

The following are things I really hope to see in TTT:

1. Gandalf's battle with the Balrog on the stairs of Zirak Zigil. followed with Gandalf's passing and return. (perhaps another stint in Lothlorien)
2. The march of the Ents and Hurons on Isengard.
3. The Battle of Helm's Deep.
4. More pipe smoking.
5. Palantir games with Pippin.
6. Lot's more of Smeagol/ Gollum.
7. Oliphant action.
8. Shelob stuff.
9.Passage of the Dead Marshes.
10. Sam putting on the Ring.

If most of that makes it in to the second film I will be a very happy enting.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 12:38 PM   #8
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Oooh...I almost forgot about the Oliphaunts..

Don't tell me they'll be in CG (LOL)

BTW, what's their other name again?
Old 01-10-2002, 02:05 PM   #9
Pailan
Elven Warrior

I belive Oliphaunts are also called Mumak, Arathorn.

Now for what I hope to see in RotK.

1. The entire Paths of the Dead Trip.
2. The Battle of Pelanor Field.
3. The madness of Denethor.
4. Eowyn and Merry's fight with the Nazgul.
5. Frodo losing a finger.
6. Lot's of Eagle action.
7. Crowning Of Aragorn.
8. Weddings (at least two)
9. Trip to the Grey Havens (very movingly done)

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 05:58 PM   #10
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
In the Two Towers, I really want to see the scene where Frodo is asleep, and Sam is watching him, and he seems to have a light shining from within. I know that this probably won't be included, because of Sam's line: "I love him. He's like that, and sometimes it shines through, somehow. But I love him, whether or no."
They'll almost undoubtedly cut that cuz so many people will interpret it as "Gay". But I really liked that part in the book. I don't know why.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 06:59 PM   #11
kennebecc
Hobbit

>>Frodo is asleep, and Sam is watching him, and he seems to have a light shining from within . . undoubtedly cut that cuz so many people will interpret it as "Gay". <<

I hope they keep that in also, but have similar fears. An already filmed scene from the Return of the King, however, may make the final cut.

Bill Welden on the official LOtR website talks about watching the filming of 'Cirith Ungol' (ROtK), and how emotional the scene between Sam and Frodo struck him.

*****I get to hear one of my favorite lines: "You can't go walking in the Black Land in naught but your skin, Mr. Frodo." The essence of Sam. ..........They spend all day on this bit, so critical to the emotional arc of the story. In the end, Sean Astin as Sam delivers the line with weariness, grief, determination, courage, and love. I leave with tears in my eyes. -Bill Welden *******

So, maybe . . .

The official site has more information on this:
www.lordoftherings.net/bw..._text.html
kennebecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 04:08 PM   #12
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

i know this is kinda sad but i hope they keep the naked frodo bit in.sorry!i think itsa very essential part of the storyline!
would also like 2 see eowyn being revealed on the battle fields all noble and shining and stuff.
also when merry and pippin meet the king of rohan at isenguard. v.funny.
eowyn144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 04:55 PM   #13
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

I'm not "death-obsessed" or anything, but I'm curious as to how PJ handeled the Paths of the Dead and the Dead Marshes. The marshes conjured up especially gruesome pictures in my mind, and I don't know if I WANNA see that!
-Will the Nazgul's flying creatures look like pterodactyls?
-The Ents, of course;
-Theoden's revival, his charge at Helm's Deep, and his death scene, with Merry, Eowyn, and the Nazgul;
-the clash between you-know-whoand the wraith (was it the Witch-king? I forget) at the gates of Minas Tirith);
-"The eagles are coming!!";
-The climax concerning the One Ring, and what happens directly afterwards;
-the heroes ceremony on the Field of Cormallen, especially when King Aragorn kneels to Frodo and Sam (I just reread that, and it made me pretty misty);
-"Well, I'm back," he said;
et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, and so forth...

Last edited by ragamuffin92 : 01-31-2002 at 05:02 PM.
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 07:38 PM   #14
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
One of the only things I want to see would be the one scene from"Of herbs and stewed rabbit"when Sam makes that bit of Rabbit stew and says"I love him. He's like that and sometimes it shines through...somehow. But I love him whether or no"
To ME that is ESSENTIAL in the growth of Sam and Frodos relationship. From the master and servant relationship to the best friend relationship. Actually it's much more then a best friend relationship. I used it out of lack of a better word.
But it is ESSENTIAL to show the unknowing public how the two love each other and show them first hand the agape love the two have for each other. I think they had better show the fight between Sam and Shelob and Sam saying goodbye to his master and taking the ring and setting out for the mountain.
In ROTK they had better have the Houses of Healing, Merry helping Eoywen out and not goofing off, the romance of Eoywen and Faramir, the marriage of Arwen and Aragorn, the Scouring of the Shire, the Marriage of Sam and Rosie and the Grey Havens. That's what I want to see. Oh they might also want to wrap it up with Sam,Gimli, and Legolas going to the Grey havens and Meeting Frodo and Gandalf again and have Merry and Pippin laid to rest by Aragorn and having them floating down the river. And having the women in the audience all in tears when they leave.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 09:23 PM   #15
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

I agree Sam.
I hope they don't cut any of those essential Sam/Frodo scenes.
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 09:29 PM   #16
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

If they cut out the scouring and the end I'll be bitter.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:19 AM   #17
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Come to think of it, I'd like to see those subtle glances between Aragorn and Eowyn in those brief moments before the company rides for Helm's deep.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Old 02-01-2002, 03:41 PM   #18
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by eowyn144
i know this is kinda sad but i hope they keep the naked frodo bit in.sorry!i think itsa very essential part of the storyline!
How is it that you think it's a essential part to the storyline?

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 03:44 PM   #19
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

ok i lied. i just want 2 elijah with no clothes on. sorry!
eowyn144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 04:29 PM   #20
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Okay, here are the parts I'm dying to see:

1. Battle of the Pelennor Fields. I want a big, violent, bloody, nasty, hellacious battle with blood and guts and clouds of arrows and boiling oil and swarms of orcs and hordes of southrons and waves of rohirrim riders sweeping into the melee and braying horns and trumpets announcing the unfurling of the Standard of Gondor on the ships of the Corsairs.

2. The Morannon. I want to see the hills about the Gondorian and allied armies swarming with Orcs and other fell creatures like a disturbed antbed. I want to see Gandalf fighting, Aragorn slaying beasts left and right, and even though it was not written in the books, I would like to see sauron stride out onto the field of battle and fight with Aragorn. I know, I know, sacrelige, but they've taken liberties with the story already, and if Aragorn faced Sauron in battle then the strength of Aragorn's character would be enhanced. Oh well, they'll probably have Arwen sneak into Barad-Dur while Sauron is distracted with his unwelcome guests on his doorstep and slip a dagger up his backstrap.

3. The Nazgul King: Gates of Minas Tirith and Fields of Pelennor: This is something I am dying to see. The Witch King is one of the more fascinating of the "bad guys" for me and his battle scenes and his demise will be very interesting to see.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote