Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-09-2002, 01:31 AM   #1
AngieBaggins
Hobbit

Who has cracked under pressure and knowledge?

Ok,
who here has cracked and told someone info about the books that might be in the upcoming movie. I did, i'm ashamed of it too. It just bugged me that no one except me in my entire science class has read LOTR. Everyone was talking about the movie and how it bugged them that it didn't have an ending and this nad that. I was getting really furious when someone said that words that really bugged me.
"I'm so glad that that old guy whats his name died in that wierd cave kinda place! he was so annoying!!" said the stuck up chearleader.
I then blew it, "Excuse me, his name is GANDALF and he is the greatest wizard there is, and he isn't DEAD!" I was horrified, everyone was staring at me. I blew my top and i gave away a good part.

Did anyone else do something like this. Mine was totally embarrasing.

She looked over the hall way doors, and noticed him there. It was odd, for she had never met anyone like him. And she never expected she would again.
AngieBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 02:04 AM   #2
Churl
Elven Warrior

Good for you, Angie!

But look out: if my memories of high school still hold true (lo, these many years later), then I'm sure the teasing you'll get for defending Gandalf will be more than punishment enough.

As for that airhead cheerleader, she'll either 1) not see The Two Towers at all, or 2) be dragged there with friends, not remember seeing Fellowship, and later complain about it because "like, the beginning was, like, totally missing and stuff."

Don't lose much sleep over the people who refuse to get it.
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 04:01 AM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Well, you blew it on two different levels. Gandalf is dead. He returned to life, but he did indeed die. So now your science class will be really confused when Gandalf comes back, and they won't even know it!
Old 01-09-2002, 05:06 AM   #4
Churl
Elven Warrior

Yes, but Inoldonil: Gandalf's death and return was a point that was veiled and vague even in the books. Do you think the movies will even address it?

What I'm hoping for is that Gandalf's pursuit and fight with the Balrog is shown in a flashback, as it's described in The Two Towers (Book 3, Chapter 5: "The White Rider").

That passage has some of the most intriguing descriptions in the whole book:

Gimli: "Deep is the abyss that is spanned by Durin's bridge, and none has measured it."

Gandalf: "Yet it has a bottom, beyond light and knowledge. […] Thither I came at last, to the uttermost foundations of stone. […] We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched at me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels. They were not made by Durin's folk, Gimli son of Glóin. Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day."

How freaking cool is that??? Just speculating about those "nameless things" that are older than Sauron gives me chills. Then, of course, there's the chase up the Endless Stair, and the final, apocalyptic showdown on Zirakzigil:

"[…] a lonely window in the snow, and before it lay a narrow space, a dizzy eyrie above the mists of the world."

"There was none to see, or perhaps in after ages songs would still be sung of the Battle of the Peak. […] I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin. Then the darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time, and I wandered far on roads that I will not tell.

"The tower behind was crumbled into dust, the window gone; the ruined stair was choked with burned and broken stone."

One more time: how freaking cool is that?!?!? (And of course, my sporadic quoting doesn't do justice to the flow of the original.)

Gandalf's chase and battle with the Balrog (if they do it at all) will be the hardest to match with my imagination. Because trust me: my imagination has a bigger budget — and better special effects — than any movie ever will.
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 12:28 PM   #5
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Well, he ain't actually simply "a wizard" either, but that's a bit f*cking the dot, as we finns would say .
Yes, Istari is best translated as "wizards" but that word isn't great enough to describe the thing Gandalf was. Calling maia, as a wizards seems a bit rude, if caller knows, what he's talking about...That's only my opinion, though.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote