Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-07-2002, 12:32 AM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul Theaters should show the movies back to back.

I'm hoping that when Two Towers comes out that some theaters will show the Fellowship of the Ring also so I can see them back to back. I don't have a problem with buying two tickets - I just think it would be cool.

I also hope that theaters will have an all night marathon when The Return of the King gets released and show all three movies back to back.

I guess this will depend on how many good movies come out next Christmas. There are several 18 screen theaters within 15 minutes of me and at least two 24 screen theaters that are within 20 minutes from me. At the AMC Hamiton FOTR was showing on 3 or 4 screens there. I really hope that AMC Hamilton will show a LOTR marathon. This may be more difficult to do in a place that doesn't have as many screens - but here's to hoping.

Wondering how many other people would go see these movies back to back?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 09:36 AM   #2
anduin
Entwife

I would. There would have to be intermissions of course between the movies. And it would have to be shown at a theatre with the big comfy seats. It would probably run, what...9 hours long? I sit at my job for 8 doing work! Surely I could sit for 9 watching a movie!
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 01:17 PM   #3
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Ahhhh. I would do that!
I sit for many hours a day a school!
I could pack all kinds of snacks and smuggle them in. (I am experienced.) If their were intermissions between each...
I have always hoped they would do that with Star Wars.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 10:23 PM   #4
Churl
Elven Warrior

I'd love to think that theaters will do this — and some independents might — but I doubt that the big franchise cinemas would run such a marathon.

Here comes the rant…

In the U.S. (and hopefully not elsewhere), old, beautiful, independently owned theaters are being driven out of business by chain megaplexes with corporate marketing plans and 20+ shoebox-sized screening rooms per building.

There are a measly few upsides to this (great sound systems and many daily show times, I must grudgingly admit, are two), but the "corporatization" of movie theaters is overwhelmingly bad for film lovers.

Think about it: none of the big chains is likely to show old movies unless they're high-profile rerelease/recuts like The Exorcist, Star Wars, or E.T. Likewise, the megaplexes rarely show "international" films (an irritating term used here in the States to refer to films made anywhere but here, just as "independent" translates to "not from a major studio").

Movie length is seen as a liability rather than a draw: to the bean counters, short movies lead to more showings, and thus to more money. (Of course, this cold calculus is born further up the food chain, in the studios, but the motivation is the same.)

My admittedly pessimistic point is that a marathon showing of Fellowship, Towers, and Return is likely to be a novelty — something to travel hundreds of miles for — rather than the rule.

Now imagine if the DVDs provide the option to view Peter Jackson's "dream cuts" (everything they shot and which he liked) … a sequential viewing of all three movies would take up the better part of a day!

Whoa. I feel like a couch potato just thinking about it. Can't wait!
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 10:42 PM   #5
ChildofEru
Hobbit

I would love to see all 3 movies at once.
but I have one word for ya...
cathader
Old 01-08-2002, 11:30 PM   #6
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

That would be one of the best things that's ever happened to me. It would be so great! But my dear little movie theater wouldn't think of it.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 12:11 AM   #7
jerseydevil

Nazgul

I know that a lot of the megaplexes skimp on screen size to fit as many screens in as possible. The AMC Hamilton that I go to has huge screens, with very comfortable high back seats, it's very clean and the sound system is awesome. It's the bext theater I've ever been in and I've been to theaters in Chicago, California, West Virgina, Indiana, New Jersey, Flroida and Oregon. And no, I do not work for them.

With living in central NJ - there are quite a few "art" theaters to go to. The Garden Theater in Princeton is just 5 minutes from me. They have two screens. On one they play an "art/foreign" film and the other a major release.

I don't think a small theater like them could afford to show a LOTR marathon though. I think the only theaters that would be able to show the three films back to back would be something like AMC Hamiton.

If you ever want to see a crappy rip-off megaplex theater go to City Walk at Universal Studios in LA - next to the Hard Rock Cafe. I walked out - along with a bunch of other people - when we saw the screen size. When I asked for my money back I told them that if I wanted to see a movie on a screen that small - I'd watch it on my TV. It was expensive too - it was 10 bucks and that was about 3 years ago. The outside looked great - but like most things in hollywood - there was nothing behind the facade.

The day after Christmas I basically did the equivalent of FOTR and TT back to back. I went to see HP and then saw FOTR back to back. It wasn't that bad, so I know I can get through it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-09-2002, 01:56 AM   #8
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Jerseydevil,

What are the prices for mat./reg viewing at AMC Hamilton 24? (This is the theatre off of I-295 correct?) In the Lowes at Seacourt Pavilion (Across from the Ocean County Mall) the prices are $5.50/$8.00 for adults.

Are the seats and sound system there good? The Lowes was not bad, but three hours was a long time in those seats.

I am curious since I work in the Princeton Area and the AMC24 is only about 45 min from home.

Sincerely,
Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 07:03 PM   #9
jerseydevil

Nazgul

I looked at the AMC Hamilton 24 website and the prices are matinee - $5.50 and regular - $7.50.

I usually buy my tickets online - especially if the movie is just coming out. Online purchases have a 50 cent surcharge.

I really like this theater. I saw Harry Potter there - that was the first time I had been there. In the climatic scene where HP is surrounded by fire - it actually sounded like I was in the middle of it. It's not a loud and overpowering sound system either. The only thing I wish the seats did - which Loews in New Brunswick do - is lean back. But the seats are very comfortable and I sat in them for basically 5+ hours straight. And yes - it is the one off 295.

Is Seacourt Pavilion in Toms River? If it is - then I think I've been to that one with my cousins - they live in Beachwood. Just PM me with the answer.

AMC Hamilton 24

I'm going to start a best and worse theater experience thread I guess - if there isn't one already out there.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-11-2002 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:16 PM   #10
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Ah, this wasn't posted too long ago....

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 08:26 AM   #11
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

hrm hoom digging up old roots are we, HOBBIT?

well this thread has opened my eyes - 24 and 18 screen cinemas??? the two cinemas near me (within 15min drive) are both 6 screen! and one of them is in a huge "mall" (i believe the american term is). i live in sydney, one of australia's two largest cities, and we probably have maybe a dozen or more cinemas with that many screens. and i bet my "huge" local "mall" must be tiny by US standards... buuuut our cities are pretty low density. i love this city *sniff*
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 10:07 AM   #12
Gerbil
Elf Lord

I don't think Hobbit is a real person, he's just a routine from the search engine that got bored
Must admit, the same thread only a fewlines apart on the front page does show a singular lack of imagination on JD's part

As for 'big' cinemas, I don't care.
THe cinema where I go has *thinks* 8 screens, but it never matters, FotR was still on the best screen the last time I saw it
And as for price, count yourself lucky. At this place a ticket is £8 or $12US....... But it's worth it cos it's the only place with comfy seats and enough leg room that I don't ache after 5 minutes.

And I saw FotR twice back to back. No probs.
Well, I DID have a HUUUUUUUUGE headache afterwards but it was worth it!
Old 01-17-2002, 11:22 AM   #13
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Gerbil - what do you mean by
Quote:
Must admit, the same thread only a fewlines apart on the front page does show a singular lack of imagination on JD's part
?

If your referring to the fact that there is a similar thread out there - this one was out there a week before that one. You just have to look at the time stamp on the first post of the thread to see that. If that's not what you mean - then can you explain?

The topic sort of went off with the discussion of theater and screen sizes - but all I was referring to was the fact that I don't think a 2 screen cinema like Garden Theater in Princeton would be able to show an LOTR marathon. AMC Hamilton was showing FOTR on 4 screens when it first came out - it wasn basically having a showing every half hour - with the latest starting at 11:00.

$12US for tickets? My friend in the midwest was saying that $7.50 was a ripoff since he pays $6.00 in Indiana. But i know the theaters he goes to and they're just not as good - the sound system isn't as good and they have small screens.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-17-2002, 12:18 PM   #14
Gerbil
Elf Lord

By the two threads I meant they appear on the front page of the forum only a few lines apart, not that their start dates were near.
In fact after writing that I deliberately poomped the thread up so they were next to each other

Yup this thread covered cinemas, but so did the other one - indeedy it was myself who did this, cos I do think cinemas will do runs of the films back to back, but it'll only be fringe cinemas, not mainstream ones, for a variety of reasons detailed elsewhere.

As for the price, yup it's a rip-off. But the cinema is good, leg room, comfier than usual chairs, drinks holder, decent sound, big screen (FotR film stock is AWFUL though ).
For a 3 hour film, I think it's reasonable, because the experience is better and I'm comfortable, which counts for a lot.

It IS why I don't go to the cinema hardly at all anymore though. $12 for a 80 minute comedy isn't worth it. But $12 for a 3 hour epic we all know and love is

Also, I don't have any choice
Old 01-17-2002, 01:23 PM   #15
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I think if the entire film saga were shown back-to-back I'd go to a theater to see it at least once in that format. It would be interesting o see it all in one go, in full continuity.

I don't know if very many theaters would go for that, though, even the megaplexes. They might consider doing it by actually charging separately for the films, so folks could pop in for #2 and skip #1, so on. Just show in a rotating sequence, with the ability to buy all three tickets in advance so you couldn't be booted out by a "prime time" sell-out audience.

Yeah, I miss the smaller theaters here, too. We had several here which were smaller independents, all got bought out, and now the only operating theaters are the megaplexes [2], some small mall theaters and one independent. We once had a 70mm theater and a 120degree theater here, both out of operation [the 120 is now Colorado Music Hall].

We used ot have a bookstore here with a large center room with theater seats and bookshelves all 'round. During the day it was anotehr book section but at night they pulled down a screen and showed old movies. You could bring what you wanted to the theater to enjoy the film [and some of the hippie types in the audience took FULL advantage of that liberty!] and they showed two different movies each night. Now it's jsut a bookstore. Oh, well. At least it isn't an Ace Hardware!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 03:42 PM   #16
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

i would sit and watch them back to back any day! but maube they could put a few breaks in for refills and toilet breaks
Old 02-24-2002, 03:48 PM   #17
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Theyb would have to invent a Lord of the Rings supersize popcorn wouldn't they? They only problem is people might get migrains if you watch them straight after each other!

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 03:56 PM   #18
Glorious Glorfindel
Elven Warrior

how could u eva get a migraine from watching Orlando, Elijah and Viggo, all on one screen for 9 hours?
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

add a drop of lavander to milk.
leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.
Glorious Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 04:05 PM   #19
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Yeah, I would definitely see the films back to back. That'd be fun!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 04:23 PM   #20
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

don't throw anything at me, but i guess im lucky to have a few "independent" theatres around, like in howell, they just restored this really old sweet arse movie theatre and it's like the type where you go at midnight to watch an all night monstermovie marathon on halloween.
im sure that they just need the idea proposed to them and they'd do it.

hmm.. time to write a letter to the howell news paper!