Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-06-2002, 12:02 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

A couple minor questions

Hope I don't get thwacked by more experienced mooters for asking questions which may have been already asked, mooted and digested, but here goes [summoning up me newbie elven Warrior's courage]:

1. What exactly is a "hythe"? I take it to be some feature of the landscape, but am unable to find a good definition.

2. How long, exactly, is one of Tolkien's "leagues"? It would help in visualizing the distances travelled.

Thanks for any help, mooters!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 01:55 PM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

I used the Entmoot search function, plugged in league, limited the search to the LOTR books forum, and found this: http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...ghlight=league

The search function works great, you should try it
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 02:45 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

According to Webster, a league is approx. 3 miles. I remember wondering this when I read the Sil. and it sad Amon Ethir was a league from the doors of Nargothrond.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 02:49 PM   #4
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Thanks, Darth, O Lordly Tuber, and I need to use that search function more often!

Thanks also for the Webster's definition, Sister Golden Hair!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-06-2002, 05:59 PM   #5
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Re: A couple minor questions

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous

1. What exactly is a "hythe"? I take it to be some feature of the landscape, but am unable to find a good definition.

So were exactly do you find this word?
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 10:08 PM   #6
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

From http://www.dictionary.com
Quote:
hythe \Hythe\, n. A small haven. See Hithe. [Obs.]
Quote:
Hithe \Hithe\ (h[imac][th]), n. [AS. h[=y][eth]. Cf. Hide to conceal.] A port or small haven; -- used in composition; as, Lambhithe, now Lambeth. --Pennant.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 12:01 AM   #7
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Kirinki, to be honest, I don't recall exactly, but it was in Fellowship, my girlfriend was reading and asked me what it was, and I'd not figured out what it was.