Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-06-2002, 10:59 AM   #1
Nibs Cotton
Sapling

FOTR-what to expect from the dvd

I've been hearing rumors,just wondered if anyone else has heard?
Nibs Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 02:29 PM   #2
orald
Enting

I have heard the DVD release,will be six hours long,and be very close to the book,and have Tom bombadil,but i'd imagine that is a long way off.
orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 03:04 PM   #3
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

although the extra content may reach a running times of up to six hours what I have read and heard is that the extra fourty plus minutes that was in the original director cut will be included, as well as features regarding the making of the movie. Perhaps there will be some tolkien specific resource material included. The extras could be quite extensive if the producers want to spend the money.

As far as Bomabadil there was never any conculsive info that these scenes were never filmed;considering that Peter Jackson dropped Bombadil from the story early on, this is probably true.

Also the release should be later this year, just in time to kick off the promotion of the Two Towers' December release.

Last edited by Kevin McIntyre : 01-06-2002 at 03:05 PM.
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 03:17 PM   #4
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I am slavering like Carcharoth the Red Maw in anticipation of the release of the DVD of Fellowship of the Ring, especially if what you report is correct, Kevin!

Where's my hanky....
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 03:31 PM   #5
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

IGN Film says:
Quote:
And here's some good news for fans disappointed by some of FOTR's omissions: the DVD, being released later this year, should have an extra thirty to forty minutes of footage on it. The additions would include some much-needed interaction and development among the members of the Fellowship, an important aspect of the book that was weakly portrayed in the film. Another addition would include the sequence in which Gimli falls for Galadriel, a turning point for his distrust of Elves.
I have not seen any proof of that from New Line or PJ but that would be great!!!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 04:09 PM   #6
Lightice
Elven Warrior

There's a long line from one of the stunt actors of the movie telling what we might expect from DVD:
I've just spoken to a good friend of mine who worked on FOTR as a stunt man, and he had a lot to do with stunt co- ordination. Heres what he had to say on the film's 3 hour cut.

-He told me he was extremely disappointed because 75% of all the stunts they did were cut(due to graphic content). Apparently, at least 3 mins of the Amon Hen battle was cut, including numerous decapitations, high falls and stabbings

- Most of the violent shots cut out at Amon Hen involved Gimli and Legolas.

- We only saw the opening and closing of Aragorn's battle against the 40 Uruks. The really violent stuff in the middle was cut.

- A sequence of Gimili chopping heads in Moira was cut.

- The most violent shots of Legolas' archery were cut, including a shot at Amon Hen where he pins two Uruks heads together with one arrow.

- Wizards duel, slightly cut. But apparently the angles that were selected de-emphasised the graphic nature of the battle.
Notice how Gandalf was bleeding more than was warranted? Apparently there are a lot more wide shots of the impacts. as well as more shots involving an actual staff fight,and not just spells.
p.s that's Ian Mckellen spinning on the ground, not a stuntman.

- In terms of drama, a lot of Gimili and Legolas' scenes were cut involving their developing friendship. As well as scenes between Gandalf and Aragorn. Also more bits of Boromir slowly cracking.

- At least 30 mins total was cut from Rivendell and Lothlorien. Including the giving of the gifts.

- 1-2mins of the prologue were cut. Most of the shots were of Gil Galad and Elendil annihilating orcs. But also cut were their 'alternate' death scenes. This is after a one on one battle with Sauron. My friend knows this because he was in this scene and had a single line of dialogue, responding to an order from Gil Galad. This indicates that there was dialogue and character interaction in the prologue. Also cut was a sequence of elf bowmen firing thousands of arrows at the charging orcs.

- Finally, PJ's original 'final cut' was 4hrs.45mins - described as his Dream Cut. This was in turn cut under orders from New Line to a little under 4 hours. The rest of the stuff cut from this version, thus making the present 3 hour cut, was the above mentioned blood guts as well as more battle stuff and drama. The good money, I am told, is on PJ's 'dream version being released as an alternate dvd in the future. But more than likely not on the official dvd.

FINALLY: please do not take all this as gospel. This is simply the shots that he was involved with, or what he was advised of by other people. In the end, the final decision of what comes out will be PJ's and his editors. Some of it could also be out of date, embellished or simply not true.

There...
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 04:19 PM   #7
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
The good money, I am told, is on PJ's 'dream version being released as an alternate dvd in the future. But more than likely not on the official dvd.
that's dirty
Old 01-06-2002, 04:23 PM   #8
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Cool.

Sounds like that should make up for a lot of things that were excluded.
Old 01-06-2002, 05:40 PM   #9
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightice
- The most violent shots of Legolas' archery were cut, including a shot at Amon Hen where he pins two Uruks heads together with one arrow.
That part was in the movie, I saw it 3 times!
Old 01-06-2002, 11:16 PM   #10
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

emplynx, I don't recall Legolas pinning two Orc heads together with the same arrow. I may have missed that, however.

Lightice, if what you say is correct, and I'm not doubting you or your friend, then we ALL have quite a treat in store for us with the release of the DVD/DVDs. Thanks a lot of making me slaver even more for the release date!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:19 PM   #11
gdl96
the greg the admin

I'm not doubting you or anything, but why would a stunt double know so much about the DVD?
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 02:19 PM   #12
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Becouse he was there when they were filmed.
He isn't my friend though. More like friend of a friend. Never talked to him...
That got there by accident. That was sent by third hand I had never even heard...
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 03:24 PM   #13
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
emplynx, I don't recall Legolas pinning two Orc heads together with the same arrow. I may have missed that, however.
I am sure I saw it because I have also shown it to people. It was really fast up by the Chair of Seeing (?). I believe that it was either right after or right before the stabbed the orc with the arrow. Two orcs were really close to him, he shot and they fell, one on top of the other. Like I said, it was extremely fast.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:46 PM   #14
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
Also cut was a sequence of elf bowmen firing thousands of arrows at the charging orcs.
This is also in the 'Cut'.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 08:30 PM   #15
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

emplynx, I saw the film for the fifth time today. Legolas DOES shoot two orcs at once with the same arrow, at Amon Hen, although not in the head. Good call.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:27 AM   #16
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I saw that part of the movie, too. He stabs one orc in the chest with the arrow then fires it, hitting the orc he just stabbed and the one right behind him. I think the second orc was pinned against a tree or a stone wall by the first...

My memory's a little hazy though, I'll have to see the movie again.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 01-08-2002 at 07:28 AM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 04:09 PM   #17
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Just a tad off the mark there, RE.

Legolas stabs an Uruk-Hai to his left with an arrow, then turns to his right at least 90 degrees, lets loose the arrow into the chest of an Uruk-Hai charging him, which goes through the chest cavity and skewers also the Uruk Hai behind that one. Both fall to the ground, stuck together, no tacking to a tree or anything.

[I think I've seen this movie too many times.....but I'm gonna keep going back til they pull it from the theaters!]
Old 01-09-2002, 04:21 AM   #18
orald
Enting

Kevin McyIntire,seems you were right about the dvd release,according to this article,which probably many of you might have read by now.I linked it up for those who might be interested,very good article.

http://filmforce.ign.com/lotr/articles/317236p1.html
orald is offline   Reply With Quote