Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-06-2002, 12:06 AM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

3 AFI awards incl. BEST PICTURE

You heard it here first...

Snubbed for Score by Moulin Rouge though... IMO, the one award MR doesn't deserve
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 12:11 AM   #2
Ben
Retired Ent

Yay! Now let's see if it can keep it up for Oscars .

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 01:28 AM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

One of the other ones was production design. It beat out A.I. (Spielberg) and Blackhawk Down (Ridley Scott) for that one. What was the other award won?
Old 01-06-2002, 02:39 AM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Digital Artist of the Year...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 01-06-2002, 04:22 AM   #5
AngieBaggins
Hobbit

HI,
Who else here wanted to see their tattos! lol. I'd have no problem seeing Sean and Elijah's tattos!

She looked over the hall way doors, and noticed him there. It was odd, for she had never met anyone like him. And she never expected she would again.
AngieBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 10:41 AM   #6
Darth Tater
The man

I was expecting us to win at least two of the technical awards, and assumed they would be best digital effects and best score. I was surprised at the reversal of production design and score, but hey, it was still awards! I continued watching the show till the very end, not really expecting a win in the major category. As soon as the words "The Lord..." came out of the announcers mouth, I hit the ceiling! The AFI awards, despite the fact that they're in their first year, are still more real then the Golden Globes ever were, and probably a much better predictor of the Oscars.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 03:22 PM   #7
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I'm not familiar with the AFI awards, but am glad to hear FOTR won such accolades. I would have to agree that Howard Shore's score was not all that wonderful, but not hearing any other score in contention, I will bow out gracefully from that discussion.

Shortcomings in the score? Not enough recognizable themes. Certainly does not contend with John Williams' masterwork for Star Wars. I know both were not in contention, but I hold that Star Wars score as a standard quite difficult to beat. Too bad John Williams was not the composer for the Lord of the Rings score. Or, for that matter, as I stated in another thread, Mike Oldfield.

Good on ya, Peter, now let's see if the incestuous Academy MEMBERS [literally] have the good sense to recognize a REAL good movie when they see one!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 09:56 AM   #8
Pailan
Elven Warrior

My question about the AFI awards is this: How does does Best production design and Best digital effects = Movie of the year? Shouldn't there be aleast a Best actor/director/or screenplay involved?

I'm not saying that LotR shouldn't be Movie of the Year, I just am really wondering how AFI made that call. Thoughts please.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 07:52 PM   #9
Churl
Elven Warrior

Three AFI awards!

Here's a link that lists the American Film Institute's 2001 awards for film and television — and The Fellowship of the Ring won three, including best picture!

Congratulations to Peter Jackson and all involved … next stop: the Oscars.
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 08:37 PM   #10
Churl
Elven Warrior

Sorry … I didn't see that this was already a thread!
Old 01-11-2002, 02:04 AM   #11
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
I'm not saying that LotR shouldn't be Movie of the Year, I just am really wondering how AFI made that call. Thoughts please.
Well, the selection was done by consensus on a panel, I believe. For the nominations anyway, if not for the winners. In essence, they were trying to spread out the awards as equitably as possible between the great cinematic accomplishments of the year, so many of the best films would be recognized in their "2001 almanac".

Old 01-11-2002, 11:23 AM   #12
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, according to the daily journal of mindless american pap, "morning TV", looks like the Fellowship of the Ring will not be getting too many Academy Awards. Not even nominations. No mention for Ian McKellam for Gandalf, nor for Sean Bean for Boromir, two of the most powerful performances in the film. Didn't even hear a Best Director nod for Peter Jackson. Probably will get the Oscar for set design and costumes [if it can beat that stupid musical, Moulin Rouge] but not much more. Oh well. C'est la theatre.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 12:28 PM   #13
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Oscar consideration, at least...

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
Well, according to the daily journal of mindless american pap, "morning TV", looks like the Fellowship of the Ring will not be getting too many Academy Awards. Not even nominations.
I think you are right to call "morning tv" mindless. I just hopped over to One Ring.net and found this piece of news.

"Seven Films in Competition for Sound Editing Oscar®

Beverly Hills, CA - The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced the seven films being considered for Achievement in Sound Editing for the 74th Academy Awards®.

The films in consideration are listed below in alphabetical order:

A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Amélie
Black Hawk Down
The Fast and the Furious
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Monsters, Inc.
Pearl Harbor

Ten-minute clip reels from each of the seven films will be screened for the Sound Editing Award Committee on February 5. The members will then vote on these films for Oscar consideration. The outcome of this vote will result in the following options: 1) if two or three productions receive the required votes they will become the nominated films in the Sound Editing category; 2) if only one film receives the required votes it will be recommended to the Academy Board of Governors for a Special Achievement Award; or 3) if no film achieves the required votes, no award for 2001 will be given in the category.

If finalists are selected they will be announced along with nominations in 23 other categories on Tuesday, February 12, at 5:30 a.m. PST.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2001 will be presented on March 24, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland® and will be televised live by the ABC Television Network beginning at 5:30 p.m. PST, with a half-hour arrivals segment preceding the presentation ceremony."

Perhaps we should start an Awards Discussion Thread? Thoughts please.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 01:46 AM   #14
Churl
Elven Warrior

Well, I wanted to be optimistic, but the Academy's blindness to Fellowship isn't surprising. For whatever reason (admittedly, because they're usually mediocre at best), genre films are usually given no respect at Oscar time. Sure, they earn technical awards, but the really respected trophies tend to go to movies based in "reality." (Quotes present for irony's sake.)

An awards thread would be good, but I'd be even more interested in a thread that discusses this prevalent mainstream snobbishness toward fantasy, scifi, and horror. It's as if John/Jane Q. Public are willing to enjoy The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc., but deep down, they seem to view fantasy as either kids' stuff and/or a guilty pleasure. Why this genre ghettoization?

(And by the way, Pailan, your sig is one of my favorite parts of the whole book.)

Last edited by Churl : 01-12-2002 at 01:48 AM.