Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-05-2002, 01:11 PM   #1
Schvenn Of The Schack
Hobbit

Cheapo rip-offs!

Is it just me or is anyone else offended by the ridiculous banner for the purchase of "your very own One Ring".
*sigh*
Red letters, eh?
:: shaking head ::
Schvenn Of The Schack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 01:33 PM   #2
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

hey! they have to sell them. what do you want them to say?

anyway, i'm moving this to the Middle Earth forum with all the other stuff about collectibles and so.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:09 PM   #3
gdl96
the greg the admin

Badali makes very nice quality One Ring replicas. They supplied the prizes for the tolkien trial parody contest. And you're not the only one confused about the red letters. But you can get the letters I think also in black or no color at all.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 04:22 PM   #4
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Badali Jewlery sells very nice, IMO, rings for decent prices. They are available in Gold or Silver and with red, black, gold, or no color lettering.

P.S. "Cheapo rip-offs!" is not the correct term for these quality rings at all!

Last edited by emplynx : 01-05-2002 at 04:24 PM.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 04:51 PM   #5
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

What's wrong with red letters?
Old 01-05-2002, 05:41 PM   #6
Darth Tater
The man

Badali Jewelry is one of our greatest supporters. Their products are really works of art, absolutely incredible and definately worth the money. I'm currently saving up for a gold one ring myself!
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 06:52 PM   #7
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I believe the Red Tengwar letters are supposed to resemble the inscription when it is red hot, it probally looks unimpressive because of the quality of the picture.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 07:36 PM   #8
emplynx

I want one of the Silver rings with black letters! They are really cool.
Old 01-05-2002, 10:30 PM   #9
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"Is it just me or is anyone else offended by the ridiculous banner for the purchase of "your very own One Ring". "

No. It's just you.

Kidding aside, I find nothing "cheapo" or "rip-off" about either the banner nor the replica of the One Ring. To each his/her own, it bothers me not in the least that the banner is there, nor that this company is producing One Ring replicas. Peoples gotta make a living, Schvenn, and I wish that company all the luck in the world. They saw a market, and took the opportunity to serve it.

I don't think one can really call it a "cheapo rip-off" unless one actually sees the ring personally and can make an informed decision as to its quality. I'm glad the company helps support the Entmoot.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 07:20 PM   #10
Gandalf The Grey
Hobbit

Your one ring!

That company makes very good one rings I have looked at their one rings I was not going to buy anything Im just nine years old.They even have a ring that looks just like the one ring!
Gandalf The Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 07:34 PM   #11
orald
Enting

I think it would be cool if they did a whole line of rings.Do the 3 elven rings,and the 9 rings for men,and the 7 for dwarves.It would be a cool collection to have.
orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 08:07 PM   #12
emplynx

The other 19 rings were not plain like the One Ring. They had gems and stuff. To my knowledge though, there is never a description of them.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:18 PM   #13
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Vilya, Nenya, and Narya are described insofar as coloration and gemstone goes.

the other 16 were simply said to have 'thier proper stone'
Old 01-07-2002, 10:20 PM   #14
orald
Enting

Yes emplnx,I've never seen a discription past The elven rings,but I have seen others named,by there names.If the same people doing the One Ring Power,could obtain the rights for the rest,might strike an interest in collectors.make a good design up for them.Some of the minor rings,like The Ring Barahir seems to have a cool design.It was in the fashion of two serpents with emerald eyes,one devouring the other,and the other supporting a crown of golden flowers.sorta sounds like that Conan symbol,somewhat.
orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 08:43 PM   #15
Marcus
Hobbit

I am not offended but fromt the look of that picture it looks really bad and ugly
the elven scrpt only covers half of the ring and they are really exspensive really exspensive
if anyone know of anywhere where i could get a ONE RING cheap but a good qaulity one not like the ones on the bookmarks
i dont have the money to pay 40.oo dollars for one and the 40.00 one you can only get in one size
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 02:51 AM   #16
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

As long as we're doing cheap knock-offs, an explanation of the creation of the Rings from "Bored of the Rings":

"Many ages ago, when Boggies were yet wrestling with chipmunks over hazel nuts, there were made Rings of Power in the Elven-Halls. Fashioned with a secret formula now known only to the makers of toothpastes, these fabulous Rings gave their wearers mickle powers. There were twenty in all: Six for mastery of the lands, five for rule of the seas, three for the dominion of the air, and two for the conquering of bad breath...."

"But that only makes sixteen," observed Frito. "What were the other four?"

"Recalled for factory defects," laughed Goodgulf. "They tended to short-circuit in the rain and fry one's finger off."
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:24 AM   #17
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Bropous, you are hilarious!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 06:08 PM   #18
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Oh, come on now, the Harvard Lampoon is hilarious, bropous is skilled at typing.
Old 01-21-2002, 06:59 PM   #19
William Wallace
Hobbit

I thought the rings looked cool
Old 01-21-2002, 09:28 PM   #20
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"...the Harvard Lampoon is hilarious, bropous is skilled at typing..."

Hmmm...I'd suggest one change, Inoldonil: "Harvard Lampoon is hilarious, and you don't know how long it took for bropous to type all that out..."