FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2002, 01:09 AM   #1
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

What are we called?

Star Trek fans are Trekkies.

X-Files fans are X-Philes.

Do we get a geeky name too?

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 03:34 AM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

"The Nerd of the Rings"
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 08:34 AM   #3
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Some say "Ringers."
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 01:00 PM   #4
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Tolkieites?

Hobbiters?

Silmarillioners?

I think I prefer "Tolkien fan". "Tolkien Freak" kinda gets under my bark....[smile!]
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 10:05 PM   #5
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

"Ringers" . . . I sorta like that, except it reminds me of ringworm.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 10:10 PM   #6
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Zealots.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:37 PM   #7
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"Tolkian Fundamentalists?"

"Tolkiban"?

"Al-Tolkiena"?

LOL!

How 'bout just "Loyal Readers".
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:44 PM   #8
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

Middle-earth Historians/Connoisseurs/Enthusiasts (insert your favorite).

Why have a dorky nickname for our interests when they lie in such rich, classical roots?
Old 01-04-2002, 01:55 PM   #9
Gimly
Enting

I always thought we are calledq

Tolkienists
Old 01-04-2002, 11:08 PM   #10
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

Tolkien Freak
Old 01-04-2002, 11:17 PM   #11
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Quote:
Originally posted by Lelondul

Why have a dorky nickname for our interests when they lie in such rich, classical roots?
Because people are jealous of us and show their small mental capacity by giving us dorky nicknames.

I think Tolkienites.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 11:23 PM   #12
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

ringdings?(like wingdings....yeah I know...it's stupid)
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 12:39 AM   #13
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

How 'bout this, folks:

"Extremely insightful and deeply reflective individuals of rare character and quality who share a deep and abiding knowledge of literary masterworks of extreme detail and delightful creativity, without whom the incredible works of a tremendously talented Oxford professor would fade into obscurity"?

Nah. Tolkien Freaks it is. LOL!
Old 01-06-2002, 05:33 PM   #14
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I just use Ringheads.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 05:29 PM   #15
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Wayyyyyyyy of topic.......

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! IP you like fox trot too?!

yay!

Bill Amend rocks don't he?
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 06:56 PM   #16
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

"Extremely insightful and deeply reflective individuals of rare character and quality who share a deep and abiding knowledge of literary masterworks of extreme detail and delightful creativity, without whom the incredible works of a tremendously talented Oxford professor would fade into obscurity"

Yes! That's it! I love that!
Old 01-07-2002, 07:39 PM   #17
Aragorn
Elven Warrior

Don't you think it's a little lo...wait, what am I saying, PERFECT!

And they carried them to the flatlands
But they died along the way
And they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO till the day I die.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 08:47 PM   #18
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Ah, Strange-Looking Lurker and Aragorn, you two are Entings of high quality and keen logic! May your leaves forever burnish a deep green under the smiles of a friendly Sun!
Old 01-07-2002, 09:08 PM   #19
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

so, you're calling us all...

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO's

How exactly would that acronym be pronounced?
Old 01-07-2002, 09:36 PM   #20
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I think it's pronounced, "bropous is the greatest Tolkien scholar", Wafarer! LOL!

See, you ain't the only "inside joker" in the ranks of Elven Warriors [wink!]. Although I'm more the Elven Warrior type who sits at the back of the formation and criticizes the moves of the leaders and throws insults at the enemy whilst hiding behind the shields of the front ranks as THEY deal with the orcs and trolls...then picks the pockets of the dead and makes off with only the comely childless well-off widows after the battle...

I gotta take my hat off to you for your dedication in assembling that acronym...good on ya!

[Correction credit to BoP]

Last edited by bropous : 12-01-2002 at 07:52 PM.