Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-30-2001, 05:58 PM   #1
crow
Hobbit

Location: Connecticut, USA, though I suspect my soul longs for another place. Oxford, say.
LotR on TV . . .?

For the past three nights "Pride and Prejudice" has been on A&E. I haven't read the book, but it was good. Three two hour episodes. I wish someone would do that with LotR. Fewer things would be cut out and I for one would be delighted by that. Or better yet: a LotR series for a season or two. I hardly watch any TV, but I'd definitely tune in. However, I fear lest the tale be corrupted for the unworthy purpose of increasing its appeal to the public. Any opinions on LotR at prime time?
Old 12-30-2001, 06:40 PM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

One problem: tv budgets suck.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 06:57 PM   #3
Hapira_Brandybuck
Enting

I think a series would be kinna nifty but as for the movie on TV if it's on regular TV (as opposed to cable or satellite) it'll have to be horribly edited for length and a lot would be left out

'My dear Frodo!' exclaimed Gandalf. 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.
Hapira_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 08:40 PM   #4
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Not to mention the CG would be pretty bad.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 10:01 PM   #5
mirrille
Elven Warrior

That production of Pride and Prejudice is excellent. As I remember, except for a few scenes that were ADDED in so that the plot could be better explained (alot of the major plot twists in the book are revealed through personal letters, so the miniseries added some visual explanation to help out), it was VERY true to the book. And the casting was perfect. Miniseries are good because you can take your time to build a complex story.

But it's a little different making a period piece and a fantasy adventure. So I agree that special effects would be a big problem. Did anyone see the Dune miniseries? For what they had to work with and what you have to do to film a book like Dune, they didn't do a bad job. Also fairly true to the book. The only silly change they had was a certain princess whose main function was to marry the hero at the end was given an "expanded role". Remind you of anyone? Except in this case her expanded role was to appear in strange places to seduce people for no good reason.

I think that LOTR would make a good miniseries. Except that in Western countries, or at least North America, which is what I know, miniseries aren't very popular, so it really would run into budget problems. A little different from some Asian countries, where miniseries are actually the standard format for TV shows (How does a 20 episode LOTR sound? Enough time to put in everything you want?) Too bad, eh? I don't see any Asian studio picking up LOTR any time soon.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 10:27 PM   #6
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Yes I saw A&E's Pride & Predjudice. Excellent retelling of the book.
A&E's Horatio Hornblower series was good too. But Darth Tater is right there is way too much money involved for a TV series.

I mean victorian dress and renting of estates is nothing compared to the visual effects needed for Lord of the Rings.
Or for that matter the armies of people and the vast amounts of weaponry. It seems to me a near impossibility. If there was a series I would definitely see it though.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 10:54 PM   #7
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I doubt it will ever happen.....
I would watch it with glee......
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 03:22 AM   #8
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

If you're going to think about LoTR on television, think BIG. It would require at least two years of 1-hour productions (44 episodes) to tell the full story properly. I'd start with The Hobbit and then do The Lord of the Rings (the 44 episodes woulc cover both books).

It's really just a matter of whether the rights are available and if someone wants to make a lot of money doing it. But I suspect no one will be able to try until after the third Peter Jackson movie has been released.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 02:15 PM   #9
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

I would love it if LotR was on TV, but I agree that it would either take forever or leave out important parts.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 08:01 PM   #10
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Well, as I was thinking, 45 episodes is about the normal for about a mid-length TV series. I'm used to the ones they run in Hong Kong, so I don't know about other countries. And they do have some decent sword and sorcery type series every once in a while (although you get alot of cheesy stuff in that department too), so as long as you are not expecting movie quality, it is possible to do. (Especially if you go for character development and story over flashes and bangs.) But that's just not the system we are used to. I'm not saying they should do LOTR, just pointing out that a 44 episode series actually isn't anything out of the ordinary.

But the whole question is a little moot since no one in his right mind would make another LOTR adaptation either while the PJ version is still in the works or for years after, as Michael says. I think we'd be much more likely to see an adaptation of something similar to LOTR (Shannara? Wheel of Time? Well, those are also long, but you get the idea) so as to capitalize on the interest in fantasy that LOTR generates.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 03:17 PM   #11
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

maybe some day when the current tecnology is cheaper (and better). Production costs on the three movies are in the range of 300+ million, television just doesn't spend that much money on anything. However in 10 or 15 years maybe. Personally I would like to see parts of the Silmarillion done as epic mini-series.
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 10:49 PM   #12
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

I can't imagine any television series following the same production principles that the movies used. The Lord of the Rings could be adapted to a television series today. It might look better with muppets than with live actors, but it can be done.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:15 PM   #13
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

oh no not muppets. It can be done, but how cheesy is the result.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:29 PM   #14
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

I can't promise anyone's standard of quality would be met. Nor can I promise that everyone's standard of quality would be compromised. A lot of things are being done with CGI by the television industry today. A lot of things are being done, and have been done, with miniatures and video special effects, too. Forced Perspective was a technique pioneered by Pacific Renaissance Pictures for their "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" television movies in 1993 and 1994. And now people are making a big fuss over it again because it's used in "The Fellowship of the Ring".
Old 01-03-2002, 12:05 AM   #15
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

Well the point seems moot, since the movies are being made. Like I said earlier maybe in 10 - 20 years it will be time for someone elses version, and it would be great if it was a long series or mini-series.
Old 01-03-2002, 12:15 AM   #16
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

nooooooooooooooooooo! nonononon NEVER EVER Wish something like this to be made into a series...the results are almost always very VERY poor. ..its like makeing a movie from a tv series. The end result is always BS
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 12:24 AM   #17
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

Roots was pretty good.

The Pride and Prejudice production on A&E was excellant, as most of their movie adaptions have been. As long as we keep it away from the Networks.
Old 01-03-2002, 12:30 AM   #18
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

I would rather have the television series than not. There were many people who said that Peter Jackson should not make these movies. Those people may not have changed their minds, but millions of people are enjoying the first movie nonetheless.

So why deny millions the chance to see Middle-earth in a more expanded format?

Movies can't do justice to Tolkien anyway.

Since there will be no justice for Tolkien, why not just screw him royally, and let everyone see it done in a different format?

No one seems to object to endless new productiosn of the works of Lewis Caroll, Shakespeare, et. al. Why should Tolkien be snubbed?
Old 01-03-2002, 12:42 AM   #19
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

exactly, although it is a large production and at best will be done once in a generation. And I'm all for it, its a great story - remakes reflect a reminder of oral traditions of our collective path. Each version changing minor points, adding new textures and perscpectives.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:18 AM   #20
dazza
Sapling

Gollum LOTR on T.V.

I am new and I'd like to introduce myself my realname is Evan and I saw the LOTR today and it is one of my favourite movies of all time. I read The hobbit in school and loved it so much i bought it. I was reading through some of your opinions about the LOTR on T.V. i think it is a good idea. i also read that some of you think they would take parts out to make it shorter i think they should put it on over 2 nights like a 2 part series like Jack and the beanstalk on Aussie tv.I also think a half hour or hour show would be great on tv beacause it is a great story line for all ages . like when i was in the movies today ther were some 5 year olds and some 80 year which i think is great please reply to let me know that im talking on the right level as you guys
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote