Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-26-2001, 02:04 PM   #1
Prince Faramir
Enting

Gandalf's ring

Did anyone notice - I believe this to be a bit of genius by Jackson - when Gandalf is in Sarumans study, he has his hand on the staff and you see the ring. But a cut back later and the ring has disappeared. I am sure I didn't just imagine this.

Did anyone else see this bit in the film, and/or other small hints like it on other characters?
Old 12-27-2001, 11:09 AM   #2
Prince Faramir
Enting

ooooo

I'm an Enting.

But no one wants to reply to my posts
Old 12-27-2001, 11:25 AM   #3
Darth Tater
The man

Either that, or you're just far too observant for the rest of us
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 05:34 PM   #4
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

You can clearly see Nenya, Galadriel's ring on her finger when she waves goodbye to Frodo.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 06:37 PM   #5
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Isn't Galadriel's ring Narya?

I had not noticed the missing ring on Gandalf's finger. Good call.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 10:31 AM   #6
CaranIstar
Hobbit

Strider

Gandalf's ring is Narya, and Galadriel's ring is Nenya. What was the third ring?
CaranIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 11:00 AM   #7
Prince Faramir
Enting

i was right

in the sun [ a terrible, terrible paper in britain] it says there are many mistakes in the film. one being the fact that his ring is there one cut and not the next. personally i think this was there on purpuse.
Old 12-29-2001, 01:24 PM   #8
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I can admit that the missing Varya was a slip of continuity. I am, however, intrigued by my fellow hobbit's assertion that this was done purposely. I am curious as to why you think this was?
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:35 PM   #9
Prince Faramir
Enting

well

Saruman never knew that Gandalf had this ring, and it becomes a crucial part of Gandalf and his re-appearing later in the book/film: Saruman wanted the one ring, Gandalf resisted the lure, even as a ring bearer - Gandalf ending up as the pure white, Saruman changing to one of many Colours - leaving the path of wisdom.

The hint at Gandalf having the ring is interesting as it is when Saruman is talking about Sauron etc. Also this isn't no micky-mouse Parry Hotter film(oooo the controversy ), this is Peter jackson and i believe the clue was there. We see Galadriel's ring quite clearly, but Gandalf's ring obscurely.....

clever filming and a top film. After a second viewing i have decided Pippin and Merry are extremely well casted and are excellent characters.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:46 PM   #10
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I'm not so sure I follow here.

Are you suggesting that Gandalf maybe pocketed the ring of power between cuts? Recall the original observation, that the ring is clearly on his hand, and after the cutaway, it is gone. Not that he was wearing the ring in another scene and then was not wearing it when he was at Orthanc.

I can certainly understand Gandalf not wanting Saruman to know he had one of the three elven rings. However, I think this may have been one of those tiny slips of continuity, an accident, rather than by design. Even in a film by Peter Jackson. :- )
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:49 PM   #11
Prince Faramir
Enting

hes a blinking wizard

I think he can hide it from most people's view, but Jackson is letting us see it. I really cannot think something as important as Gandalf's ring would be messed up in the editing like that

the agile viewer will see that Gandalf has a ring - leading him to wonder what type it is: i would have if i hadnt have read the book!
Old 12-29-2001, 03:37 PM   #12
fedos
Hobbit

Remember that in the book; when Frodo sees Galadriel's ring, Sam does not. Galadriel says that the only reason Frodo can see it is because he is a Ring-bearer. It is likely that Saruman cannot see Gandalf's ring because Saruman isn't a Ring-bearer.
But the discord of Melkor rose in uproar and contended with it, and again there was a war of sound more violent than before, until many of the Ainur were dismayed and sang no longer, and Melkor had the mastery.
fedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 04:02 PM   #13
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

CaranIstar, the Three Rings were Narya, Nenya and Vilya. The Rings of Fire, Water and Air respectively. I think Vilya was the greatest of these.
Old 12-29-2001, 04:04 PM   #14
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

But saruman called himself a ringmaker. Does that mean he was unsuccessful, or that his ring was of a different nature than the twenty?

Last edited by Wayfarer : 12-29-2001 at 04:17 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 04:11 PM   #15
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

Aragorn's Ring

Did anyone notice that Aragorn was wearing a ring throughout. Is this the ring of Barahir, given to Barahir in the first age by Fingon and an heirloom of the line of Elendil?

I didn't notice Gandalf's ring, but you could see that Galadriel was wearing a ring as she extend her palm to the fellowship. If Gandalf was wearing a ring, I believe it was deliberate, after all this is a story of the rings of power, and I find it hard to believe PJ allowed that in as an accident.
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 09:58 PM   #16
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Aragorns Ring
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote