Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-13-2001, 03:09 PM   #1
Darth Tater
The man

Gandalf I'm too excited!!!

Ok, so six days to go, every review I see says FOTR is the greatest film ever, the anticipation is killing me, and there's just no way this can live up to my expectations! So I'm starting this thread for those of us who are very excited to come up with reasons the movie could stink so as to lower our expectations. This is not a serious discussion of the possible problems in the film. This is not a place to complain about silly things like the exclusion of Tom Bombadil. I'm starting this thread for those of us who are ok with changes in the story to fabricate possible problems.

I'll start. I'm worried about Saruman's role in FOTR. His part in the book is really not that big, and is made great because of its mystery. A "wizards duel" could likely be too corny, too modern, too pointless, and trivialize the conflict between Saruman and Gandalf. I'm also concerened about how the Uruk-hai are portrayed. Coming out of pods seems too sci-fi and out of place in Middle Earth. Not knowing where they came from is also somewhat important to the story, since it helps build the plot of Saruman's treachery, and introducing them so soon will probably ruine this.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 03:30 PM   #2
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

I'm worried about the duel of Gandalf and Saruman looking like a breakdance scene. Gandalf will actually whirl around on the floor...

"Orange is the new pink, and men are the new women."
noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 05:03 PM   #3
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Have a look here, all ye with high expectations.

http://www.rossanthony.com/L/ltrfellowship.shtml
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 07:56 PM   #4
anduin
Entwife

I don't trust people that use that much alliteration and metaphor.

Cookies, yarns and games?!

What am I most worried about? That I will not be able to concentrate at work on Wednesday. That I will not be able to shut up about it at work on Thursday and that I will be not able to keep my mouth shut while I watch it for the second or third time Friday with those that haven't even seen it once.

I worry that what appears to be my general rule about hating a movie that critics adore will apply to this movie.

I worry about the looks that I will receive when I say that I have seen it X amount of times. If they only knew how many times I rewatch movies an reread books.

I worry that something will happen to prevent me from seeing TTT and ROTK.

Umm, I think that is enough worrying for now....I am worn out.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 08:19 PM   #5
arynetrek
Elf Lord

what i'm worried about -

the acting. not that i think the majority will do a bad job, it's just my latest worry.

that my mother wasn't kidding when she threatened to give me a light-up Arwen goblet for Xmas because i've been bad

that i'll spend so much time at Entmoot that i'll forget about all my final projects

that through some freak accident i'll die in the next few days & never witness LotR in theaters.

aryne *
arynetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 09:03 PM   #6
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

Worries

I worry that there'll be some bratty kids who won't shut up
I worry that I'll have drunk too much Coke and be dancing in my seat just before they get to Moria
I worry that I'll have friends who will say the movie was "all right".
I worry that I'll have to disown them
I worry that there will be people talking on cell phones. Loudly!
I worry that I'll have to pummell them and ruin the LOTR experience for a whole lot of people.
I worry that I'll worry too much and I won't enjoy the film
Oh well
Old 12-13-2001, 10:07 PM   #7
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Does'nt ANYONE here KNOW that worrying causes ulcers. Oh well.
I'm worried the merchandise will be as stupid as the Harry potter merchandise(a glow in the dark snow globe palantir?)
I'm worried that Harry potter fans will come and make fun of LOTR
I'm worried that girls will be behind us and making nuisances of themselves by squealing everytime a hot actor comes onto the screen.
I'm worried someone will bring a little kid to it and freak them out so much they scream and scream
and I'm afraid that we might get SNOWED in on the big day. Oh the disadvantages of a big snow fall in the middle of the country in Idaho.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 10:16 PM   #8
Darth Tater
The man

Thank you thank you thank you CBG for finding that review! I will probably end up reading it once a day till the movie comes out to calm myself!
Old 12-14-2001, 01:50 AM   #9
anduin
Entwife

I hate that review!
Old 12-14-2001, 02:06 AM   #10
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Go check out the Internet Movie Database. Fellowship is way ahead of The Godfather as the top-rated film of all time right now. Heh.

Could it really be that good?

Six more days and I'll find out...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 08:50 AM   #11
anduin
Entwife

Ben found out last night! Go to The Tolkien Trail to read his preliminary review.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:00 PM   #12
Darth Tater
The man

Damnit Ben's blurb has me even more excited! I highly recommend checking out Harry's review at Aint It Cool News, no real spoilers, not too much movie information, but easilly the best review of a film that I have ever read.
Old 12-14-2001, 02:51 PM   #13
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

For people who don't know who Harry is and what is AICN's url, go here for the easily the best review of LOTR.

Warning The Talkback board contains strong language.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 03:46 PM   #14
Darth Tater
The man

Viggo Mortensen was on the Today show this morning. I'm concerned that the entertainment anchor on the show called the movie "The Fellowship Ring", said that it was about a fellowship who go on a quest to destroy evil with the help of a magic ring, and that she spent the show talking about how cute Viggo is instead of about his acting.
Old 12-14-2001, 03:54 PM   #15
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
and I'm afraid that we might get SNOWED in on the big day. Oh the disadvantages of a big snow fall in the middle of the country in Idaho.
The weather has been exceptioal around here (in SD). So I don't think you have much to worry about. Hopefully no six-foot snowdrifts in the driveway this year. ]: )
Old 12-14-2001, 04:31 PM   #16
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I dont know what happened Wayfarer but we were snowed in already once and it's snowing again and only five days until the premere*gasp* and I'm getting worried. The thing is is that we have'nt had this much snow in eight years, the first year we moved to this little valley it snowed like you would'nt beleive and now it's snowing again. Although it'd probably seem like just enough snow to cool a hobbits toes knowing north eastern state winters. It seems alot to me.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 05:19 PM   #17
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

I'm glad you mentioned the 'orc-hatching' Darth. That's one detail that wasn't at all neccesary to add. They cut certain details from the story because they weren't deemed of central importance to the storyline, yet they felt compelled to present the Uruk-Hai as space aliens bred by Saruman. That is a bigger gripe for me than Arwen's role change.

I too think the acting may be a weak point (or the strongest point for that matter!). I don't like how Gandalf is shown with a manical look and mein in certain parts of the various trailers, in addtion to Arwen's "Come and claim him" line - I hope the remaining performances lessen these untasteful bits.

Although, these are nit-picking examples based on my opinion as a long-time Tolkien-fan so, what I see as weak, the audience mayn't even notice *shrug*. What acting I've seen looks remarkable by-in-large.

Overall, I think they will be excellent adaptations of the original work.

- Lelond, trembling with pre-sale tickets in-hand

Last edited by Lelondul : 12-14-2001 at 05:21 PM.
Lelondul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 05:32 PM   #18
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Well lets see what am i worried about:
That a burst with exitment before the movie
I end up with all my friends dumping me as i go on and on about LotR once more
None of my friends like it
I run out of money before i go and see it the fiftyth time
and...
ahhhhhhh ulsers!
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 08:23 PM   #19
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

How about worrying that terrorists will take over the distribution center before any movie reels are sent out and they forced the entire world to comply with thier every whim. But then I worry that the myriads of Tolkien fans that waited for years for this movie might riot and loot and pillage and plunder and cause a major ruckus all across the world and governments would be overthrown and environmental eco-systems would be disrupted and I wouldn't have 31 flavors of ice cream to choose from!!! It'll be anarchy!!!! Run away!!! Run away!!! Retreat, Retreat to the caves!!!! *puff puff pant puff* Or maybe I'm overreacting....
Old 12-14-2001, 11:06 PM   #20
Churl
Elven Warrior

Early on (third post in the thread), Comic Book Guy posted a link to a lukewarm review of The Fellowship of the Ring. In it, the reviewer, Ross Anthony, graded Fellowship a "B."

While everyone is entitled to his or her own aesthetic tastes, take this guy's gripes with a grain of salt. Here are some of his other reviews…

Black Knight: A-
Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles: A-
The Haunting: A-
Ready to Rumble: A-
A Knight's Tale: A-
Freddie Got Fingered: B+

I could keep going, but I've already given Ross too much free publicity. Maybe he'd have liked Fellowship better if it included, respectively, more…

… loud, generic, stick-it-to-The-Man humor,
… bled-dry premises starring shills for The World's First Sport Utility Wagon™,
… cheeseball plotting and gratuitous effects that have nothing to do with the original book,
… pro-wrestling satire (the very definition of "redundant"),
… jousts set to Queen music, or
… unnatural acts with living (and dead) animals.

Call me crazy, but Ross's review doesn't exactly dampen my enthusiasm.

Last edited by Churl : 12-14-2001 at 11:09 PM.
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote