Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-17-2001, 02:59 PM   #1
webwizard333

The Ring's Personality

Does anyone else here think that the ring might have been responsible for its own demise. Earlier it had warn Gollum not to touch it or he would be thrown into the fires of Mount Doom. Maybe when Gollum got the ring back it threw him into the lava, not realizing how tightly Gollum was holding it.
Old 06-19-2001, 03:32 AM   #2
The Black Lieutenant

Re: The Ring's Personality

Interesting.
Old 06-19-2001, 03:36 AM   #3
Feanturi

spolier alert :if you haven't read return of the king don't read the rest of this post.

I think it says that Gollum just sliped, but i don't have the last book at the moment. Also can you show me a quote that says anthing about gollum being warn. I don't recall personally it saying that in any of the books, but i could be very wrong. I would hope That Inolndil would reply, or any others would reply because they would have more information on the subject. But i would think not, for the ring ever wanted to find a way back to its true master. That is why it fell into anduin and also why Smeagol's friend found it, and why gollum killed him and was exiled from his own kind. He was forced by them to go into those lightless caves for an uncertain amount of years. then the ring was lost so bilbo could find it exactly were he feel. The ring was trying to get back to the Nameless one. When frodo was going to through it into the lava, he was turned by the ring and would not do it himself. sam tried to get to him but he had already put on the ring. Gollum by his own impowerment could see frodo. Frodo put on the ring because the ring didn't want to be thrown in the pit. It wanted Saroun to come claim it.

Also i have heard that there was another ending that tolkien was thinking of, in that gollum would take the ring and redeem himself by jumping into Mount Doom.
Old 06-19-2001, 07:16 PM   #4
ladyisme

Still, whether the Ring committed suicide or not it can't be denied that it did have it's own personality, mind, and its own will, in fact I might even go so far as to call the ring a character in LOTR.
Old 06-20-2001, 07:59 PM   #5
Idril Celebrindal

hmm... interesting idea... however, I think that was more a part of Sauron's awareness. He put a lot of power into it, and perhaps something more. It would explain the nature of the ring if it had gained something of its master's nature, his awareness... it would also explain how he knew when someone wore it; when Frodo put the ring on upon Amon Hen, Sauron was aware of him, the direction he was in, until he removed the ring again... just an idea. feel free to jump up and down all over it.
Old 06-21-2001, 07:26 AM   #6
Spock1

Now you're getting into anthropomorphic behaviour on your own part. Not to mention creating an act of flummery.
:|
Old 06-21-2001, 01:34 PM   #7
webwizard333

Hey Spock! I need a dictionary to understand you, try saying what you said in layman's terms. And I don't think that the Ring committed suicide. I think it used its "powers" to send Gollum over the edge, but Gollum wouldn't let go no matter what.
Old 06-21-2001, 11:59 PM   #8
Conrad Dunkerson

Actually, I think the Ring had very limited 'sentience' and 'personality'. I don't think the Ring 'committed suicide' because I believe it was Frodo who said, 'If you touch me ever again, you shall be cast yourself into the Fire of Doom.' Gollum touched him shortly thereafter and was thus bound by the threat as Frodo had previously claimed he would be;

"If I [Frodo], wearing it [the Ring], were to command you [Gollum], you would obey, even if it were to leap from a precipice or to cast yourself into the fire. And such would be my command."
Two Towers, The Black Gate is Closed

So Frodo says that he could command Gollum to leap into the fire, Frodo says that if Gollum pushed him to it he would issue such a command, a very similar command then IS given on Mount Doom (by Frodo I believe), and shortly thereafter Gollum goes into the Fire. I consider it a classic example of the power of Evil (the Ring's control over Gollum) turning back on itself to its own destruction - a major theme of Tolkien's literary philosophy. Evil requires that Gollum attempt to regain the Ring, and also assures that if he does he (and it) will be destroyed.
Old 06-22-2001, 02:26 AM   #9
Spock1

...sigh.....
Old 06-23-2001, 01:28 AM   #10
galadriel1

Perhaps I can help..

Anthropomorphic means ascribing human characteristics, traits, and feelings to non-human things. Humans do that quite often. Should I tell him/her what flummery/mummery means?
Old 06-23-2001, 12:38 PM   #11
webwizard333

Re: Perhaps I can help..

Have no fear I've found my dictionary.
Old 06-23-2001, 03:15 PM   #12
galadriel1

:lol: Good for you! It`s always good to learn new words!
Old 06-23-2001, 08:59 PM   #13
Perisil

um Feanturi something bothered me about your comment, i have consulted the all wise all knowing and all powerfull books and I dont seem to see anywhere that it says Gollum could see Frodo. Sam was struck from behind by Gollum and he blacked out but when he awoke Gollum and Frodo were already entagled but i can see where you could get that idea since Gollum did manage to bite his finger off wich would seem quite hard if the little bugger was invisible, but i wouldnt jump to the conclusion that he was somehow impowered with the ability to see through the rings spell. But like what follows most peoples comments here, I could be wrong. Perhaps someone should start a discussion on how exactly Gollum did find Frodo and managed not only to wrestle him but locate the finger and detach it. That indeed is very interesting, Perhaps the ring makes the wearer invisible but not the ring itself so Gollum judging by where the ring was could make an educated guess at where the finger was located.

Side note:

Is anybody else tired of taters ugly mug winking at us from the corner of the screen, its starting to get creepy.
Old 06-23-2001, 09:36 PM   #14
webwizard333

I think that Gollum was so attached to the Ring and had spent so much time with it that he just instinctivley knew where it was. Also, you could like finding the Ring to a life and death Marco Polo game.

By the way Galadriel "wizard" is a him, so that should be your first hint I'm male.
Old 06-25-2001, 01:07 PM   #15
galadriel1

Mug

Actually, Perisil, it was B e n`s mug that was winking and it is now gone - for the moment, anyway. I see the logo has changed once again, though. hehe
Old 06-25-2001, 06:38 PM   #16
Perisil

Re: Mug

whos @#%$?
Old 06-25-2001, 07:51 PM   #17
Perisil

Re: Mug

i think our friend is messig with the word filter again. Or someone is playing a joke on me .
Old 06-28-2001, 09:44 PM   #18
Prince Faramir

Re: persil

sorry perisil but i always read ur name like the washing up liquid

anybody else find that?
Old 06-28-2001, 10:06 PM   #19
bmilder

Ugly mug?

Ugly mug? I should ban you for that

(Unless of course it was only ugly because you thought it was Tater's )
(or because hideous things were done to it in Photoshop )
Old 06-29-2001, 03:26 AM   #20
Inoldonil

Re: Ugly mug?

*chuckles*

I told him he fell on thin ice with that one :lol: