Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-08-2001, 06:11 AM   #1
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

The trouble with Aule

So what is it precisely that gets Aule and his minions in trouble? Sauron and Saruman were Maiar of Aule, and the Noldor were most closely associated with Aule as well. Aule himself got into some hot water over the Dwarves, but came up with a brilliant save when confronted. The key seems to be humility, or the lack thereof. Although Aule himself was properly humble, and thus saved the Dwarves, everyone else associated with him seems to fail this test. Why?

Ideas?

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.

Last edited by Bacchus : 12-08-2001 at 06:12 AM.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 11:31 AM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

You know, I have wndered about this a lot myself. Aule is the Vala of craft, and it seems that all who had this desire were drawn to him. Their creations were to the extream, the ultimate in either beauty or evil. In this we see the One Ring, and the Silmarils. The cause of all the griefs of the Noldor, and the Ring being the pains of the third age.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 12:04 PM   #3
Darth Tater
The man

I think it has a lot to do with Tolkien's dislike of mechanical things, and of progress on the whole
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 03:57 PM   #4
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

The trouble with aule can be summed up pretty easily in this:

Of the Valar, Aule was closest of mind to Melkor. Both wished to create, to make things and think things that no one had before them. But melkor wished to dominate, to control, while aule took pleasure in the making, and gave freely of both his craft and his time.

Thus, his maia were the easiest to seduce, and he deliberately made his dwarves resistant to corruption.
Old 12-09-2001, 12:02 AM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
The trouble with aule can be summed up pretty easily in this:

Of the Valar, Aule was closest of mind to Melkor. Both wished to create, to make things and think things that no one had before them. But melkor wished to dominate, to control, while aule took pleasure in the making, and gave freely of both his craft and his time.

Thus, his maia were the easiest to seduce, and he deliberately made his dwarves resistant to corruption.
Where does it say this? I pretty much got that impression just from reading te story, but I don't recall reading that.
Old 12-09-2001, 12:39 PM   #6
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

RE

SGH it says something similar on page 18 of the Silmarillion:

"Melkor was jealous of him, for Aule was most like himself in thought and in powers; and there was long strife between them, in which Melkor ever marred or undid the works of Aule, and Aule grew weary in repairing the tumults and disorders of Melkor. Both, also, desired to make things of their own that should be new and unthought of by others, and delighted in the praise of their skill. But Aule remained faithful to Eru and submitted all that he did to his will; and he did not envy the works of others, but sought and gave counsel. Whereas Melkor spent his spirit in envy and hate, untill at last he could make nothing save in mockery of the thought of others, and all their works he destroyed if he could."
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 03:53 PM   #7
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

Quote:
he deliberately made his dwarves resistant to corruption.
I think, SGH, that he means that the dwarf-rings didn't let Sauron control them.
Old 12-14-2001, 04:10 PM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Finmandos12

I think, SGH, that he means that the dwarf-rings didn't let Sauron control them.
Yes, that makes sense.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:16 AM   #9
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I don't think so. I think Shannon was referring to a passage in Of Aulë and Yavanna, where it is explained why Aule made the Dwarrows the way he did. It says that he made them stone-hard and stubborn so that they may resist the evils of Melkor.
Old 12-15-2001, 03:36 PM   #10
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I actually made sort of a blanket statement. It talks about how Aule is most like Melkor in at least two places in the sil, and the dwarves are mentioned somewhere else. It also talks about how dwarves are strong and undaunted in the appendices.