Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-04-2001, 09:48 AM   #1
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Ringwraith Rpgs?

I know I've only just been told what's going on here, but has anyone ever thought of starting a RPG focussing on the ringwraiths? i'd really love to play a ringwraith....
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 09:31 PM   #2
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

When or if you play it, I'll not be joining, so I suppose what I say hardly matters. But I suggest that you are careful about the Ringwraiths' characters. In every RPG I've been in so far which features the Nine, they are portrayed as superpowerful villains. In the book they were cold, cruel, working in the shadows and operating in the darkness, or when they had the advantage of numbers. They were powerful, but their power was in fear, not brute force.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 10:06 AM   #3
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Of course, no ringwraith could take on Gandalf or Aragorn by themselves, the rider in the Shire fled from the approaching elves and they regrouped before attacking on weathertop, even then they 'failed' although maybe their purpose was achieved. I just meant that some interesting battles are mentioned that occurred whilst four riders were searching for Gandalf, apparently they were attacked at Lorien once.
Old 12-07-2001, 03:01 AM   #4
Xivigg
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

I think most ringwraith would take down Aragorn anytime
After few thousand years of "living" one would be more powerfull than almost anyone or anything in the middle earth.

Most likely Elrond and Glorfindel might stand their ground agains't one

Gandalf might to... with Narya (the elven ring of fire)

Lorien is protected by Galadriel, one of the three elven rings magic and got easily few hundread elven guard agains't incursion.

Maybe some old Ent... and some powerfull elven lord left unnamed.

but that's all

Individualy they are powerfull
Colectively almost nothing can stop them

They got weaopn that could kill even the strongest man easily
they got some kind of fear aura
most weapon will just pass through them without harm
some of them have magic (as the Witch king show just before they try to cross the bruien)
they're blind but their other sences have develope accordingly
their power lie in darkness and fear but they remain powerfull even in daylight

Remember only the Witch King got the blessing of free will

they don't like sunlight and some sacred elven word turn them away, and running water can stop them. fire is also a good weapon agains't them

ok they are powerfull yet tehy got weakness... that aren't since most people don't know them

why they opperate in number ??

few things must be taken into account here

first they were trying to get the master ring... something Sauron's ennemy will do anything to prevent them their success.
the last time they opperate all nine together was when they siage Minas ithil some 2000 before.

second even in their form and with their great individual power their is alway's a small chance someone might get a lucky blow
(as Eowyn did agains't the Witch king)(destiny or not it was a lucky blow )

three everyone know their's strenght in number

just my personal idea about the Nazghul
Old 12-07-2001, 12:31 PM   #5
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

And yet Aragorn and Frodo could drive off five at once. You can't say fire has that bad an effect on them.

No, Gandalf said their power is in striking terror into people's hearts, not fighting. They have terrible weapons, yet they don't have the sort of power you're attributing to them. Remember, in the battle of Minas Tirith the main thing they did was fly over the city walls and scream. If they were ultimate warriors, they would have charged and claimed victory before Gandalf was there, or maybe even afterwards.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 03:10 PM   #6
Agburanar
Elf Lord

They were clever diplomats, along with other emissaries they went to promote Sauron's case (through fear?) but they failed to convince the dwarves (in the know!) and the Shire folk (they really do not have desire for power, or most of them don't anyway.) Could the Nazgul have turned the S-Bs over to the Dark Lord's power?

Anyway, Nazgul get free transport, free lodgings and great uniforms, all you gotta do is relinquish your soul to the Dark Lord, where do I sign?
Old 01-01-2002, 02:40 AM   #7
drunkenparrot
Sapling

nazgul

Hi all new to this so bear with me.Xivig,you seem to have forgotton that it was one of Arogorns blood that took the Ring from Saurons hand to begin with.Even being mortal man(and remember the prophecy that the lord of the nine shall not fall by mortal man)my bet would be on the king.All the same,even though i'm not too hip on the net rpg thing(many years of youth in D@D just grew into flight sims i guess?)rpg wringwraiths would be intriguing.Not brute in your face stuff altough theyd be formidable with that.More like H.R.Geigers aliens.Stealth,cunning and sheer brutal terror.I'd be interested if someone has patience to bring me up to speed on the format.Well thaks for your time all.
drunkenparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 02:52 AM   #8
drunkenparrot
Sapling

nazgul

Hi all new to this so bear with me.Xivig,you seem to have forgotton that it was one of Arogorns blood that took the Ring from Saurons hand to begin with.Even being mortal man(and remember the prophecy that the lord of the nine shall not fall by mortal man)my bet would be on the king.All the same,even though i'm not too hip on the net rpg thing(many years of youth in D@D just grew into flight sims i guess?)rpg wringwraiths would be intriguing.Not brute in your face stuff altough theyd be formidable with that.More like H.R.Geigers aliens.Stealth,cunning and sheer brutal terror.I'd be interested if someone has patience to bring me up to speed on the format.Well thaks for your time all.
drunkenparrot is offline   Reply With Quote