Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-26-2001, 12:20 PM   #1
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Neil Gaiman

Alright! I've yet to see ANYONE post ANYTHING about him! I'm actually almost offended!

Neil Gaiman is a great fantasy writer. He has done novels (3 that I can recall, of the top...no, 4), lots of short stories, and even a 'graphic novel'. (comic books...)

Stardust is about a guy who wants to marry the prettiest girl in his town. She tells him to bring her a star they saw fall from the sky. The guy (Tristan) has to travel into Faerie to find it, and he's not the only one looking. Its a great book.

Good Omens was written with Terry Brooks...(I think). Its their version of Armegeddon(SPELLING?!). Very very funny.

Neverworld is really hard to explain, but its a really interesting story about a completely different world underneath London.

American Gods is his latest. I haven't gotten to read it yet.

You can find some short stories of his in Smoke and Mirrors.

The graphic novel he wrote (the famous one) is The Sandman. They are a really interesting collection about..well...the Sandman. He's called Dream. Kind of like the Greek god, Morpheus, which he is called by some.

He also did a remake of the Black Orchid comic and worked a little with Todd McFarlane on Spawn.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? If not, go find one of the things I just said so I have someone to talk to about Gaiman!!
Old 12-05-2001, 03:11 PM   #2
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

I actually just recently got into his stuff. I had read Good Omens a while back, but not really realized who he was. However, I recently just read Neverwhere (exactly story), and all of Sandman (excellent comic). His stuff is simply great, and I definitely am planning on reading more of it.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:50 PM   #3
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Finally! A reply! Oh glorious day!

Who was your favorite character in the Sandman? I like Delirium. I spell bad. Sappurt puhblik ejakashun.
Old 12-07-2001, 07:51 AM   #4
Elwen
Sapling

I love Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Pratchett is a great fantasy comedian on his own and with Gaiman writing as well the book is great. I have also read Neverwhere and Stardust.

Infact i can't listen to Bohemian Rhapsody any more and keep a straight face, or go around the M25 or even watch the news.
Elwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 12:13 PM   #5
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

oooh....I like the name..Elwen...Purdy. I actually made that my name for something awhile back...

Prachett? That's what I thought, if I was wrong with the other choice. =) I get confused.
Old 12-07-2001, 06:25 PM   #6
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

Yeah, I first read Good Omens because of Pratchett, too.

As for Sandman, my favorite character was also Delirium, with Death a close second.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:39 PM   #7
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

YOu had better have a reason other than 'Huh Huh, death is cool' for liking Death. She was also my second, but only because she quotes Mary Poppins in the first book. =D
Old 03-15-2002, 07:00 PM   #8
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I love the Sandman books! SO much! Two years ago at my school everyone was reading them, and I started, and now they are some of my favorite books (recently displaced by LotR and other books by Tolkien. . .)
My favorite characters, well, I can't pick just one, I liked Death, (I like her being so cheerful all the time. And other reasons, but I could go on forever) Dream and Delirium, but also Matthew, the Raven. I also love the books about Death. Anyone read Books of Magic (?) It's really good, too. A lot like Harry Potter, but much, much darker. Like most of Gaiman's writing It's really good, also a graphic novel.
I also really liked Good Omens. It's my favorite Terry Pratchett book, helped along by the fact that Neil Gaiman also wrote it I read it on the plane on my way back from Costa Rica-er, actually I got it in the Chicago airport, but I was coming home from Costa Rica. I couldn't find a bookstore in the Miami airport!
I've read Smoke and Mirrors and I really enjoyed it. That last story was really creepy. . .(I think it was the last one. The Snow White story.)
Haven't read American Gods yet, but I mean to. Okay, I've been going on and on here. Oh well. I happen to be a big fan. And there are so many smileys in this post!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 07:11 PM   #9
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

A friend recommended me read Neverwhere a couple years ago now. Still stands out in my mind as a great modern fantasy novel. You're right Fireworks, it is a hard book to describe, but was beautifully done and very vibrant and detailed - just how I like 'em

I've been meaning to pick up some of his other stuff too, but you know how that goes...
Old 05-06-2002, 03:15 AM   #10
Eruviel Greenleaf

Okay, I just read American Gods. . .wow. *takes a deep breath*

That was an amazing book. Has anyone else read it? It would be nice to start a discussion here. . .good book to discuss, if you ask me

Well, anyone?

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-20-2002, 10:39 AM   #11
Carafin
Elven Warrior

I haven't read his newes t book ( I didn't even know it was out till I saw it in the store) but I have read Neverwhere and Stardust and I really enjoyed them both ( unfortunately that was like 1 or 2 years ago, I'll have to pick them up again soon and the new one too

four be the things I'd be better off without,
love, curiousity, freckles, and doubt
Queen Guinevere?
Though all to ruin fell the world,
And were dissolved and backward hurled,
Unmade into the old abyss,
Yet were its making good for this,
The dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea,
That Luthien for a time shoud be ~
~Beren: The Song of Parting
Carafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 01:21 PM   #12
Eruviel Greenleaf

I still have to find Neverwhere and Stardust. But I will!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-28-2002, 10:30 PM   #13
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

YAY! Neil Gaiman ROCKS!
I read all of Sandman (worship. worship.) and the beginnings of both American Gods and Good Omens. I had to give both back to the library. Pooh.
I plan to get them out again soon, however, once I pay off my horrendously large library fine (try $17.50! And no, I haven't a clue how it got so big).
I like Death too...she's very pragmatic. I like Dream a lot, but he's so sulky all the time...still, he is tres cool.
I took an online test once--Which Sandman Character Are You?--and I turned out to be Death. Nifty, hey what? If I can find it I'll post it on here.
-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 01:23 AM   #14
Eruviel Greenleaf

Find it! Post it! Find this personality test, you must!

I'll bet I'm Dream. . .

Oh, and I can lend you Good Omens.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-29-2002, 10:57 PM   #15
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

ONLINE TEST!

okay, y'all...here's the test.
Which Endless Are You?
take the test, and then tell me who you were.
I'm Death!

-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 05-30-2002, 01:36 AM   #16
Eruviel Greenleaf

woohoo! I'm Dream! I knew I would be!

Yep, that's me...really angsty and sulky and. . .I'm stopping there.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-30-2002, 08:59 PM   #17
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

heehee...i'm delight now. okay, well, not really, cause i went in specifically going for her. so nevermind. it's funt o figure out which endless each question is, though some are v. obvious...
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 05-31-2002, 09:37 PM   #18
Carafin
Elven Warrior

I took the test!!(I've never read the books but oh well!!) I came out as Death (is that a good thing??)

four be the things I'd be better off without,
love, curiousity, freckles, and doubt
Queen Guinevere?
Though all to ruin fell the world,
And were dissolved and backward hurled,
Unmade into the old abyss,
Yet were its making good for this,
The dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea,
That Luthien for a time shoud be ~
~Beren: The Song of Parting
Carafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:40 PM   #19
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by Carafin
I took the test!!(I've never read the books but oh well!!) I came out as Death (is that a good thing??)
Well, do you want to be a cheerful person who wears all black and occasionally purple and has goldfish and wears an ankh and has an eye of horus design on her eye and likes Mary Poppins and lines like 'Peachy Keen?' Then yes, you want to be Death

On the other hand, if you'd prefer to be gloomy, there are about four other Endless that would be more suitable

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-01-2002, 06:44 PM   #20
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I only know about this stuff from Tano's babbling but I took the test and came out as Delirium.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote