Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-17-2001, 06:41 AM   #1
Darkside Spirit
Hobbit

Gimli So is it worth reading then? :)

Having read Lord of the Rings, and found it a little lengthy but for the most part enjoyable, would reading the Silmarillion be worthwhile? I'm slightly apprehensive since I've seen it described more than once as "enormous and unreadable".

What are the depth of the revelations it gives? How good is it as a book? And the general question: would you recommend that I read it?
Darkside Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 10:37 PM   #2
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

I would wholeheartedly recommend the Sil, with some qualifications.

First, The Sil is very episodic in nature. There is not a specific set of characters that we follow for the length of the book.

Second, there are many characters, and quite a few of them have multiple names that are used fairly interchangably. This makes it rather difficult to follow the first time through. My suggestion here is to make up a chart as you are reading, or to refer often to the geneologies at the back of the text.

Third, remember that the Sil was published posthumously by Christopher. It does not have the same level of polish that LOTR does.

That said, IMO, it is definitely worth the time to read it. Then read LOTR again. You'll be amazed at the references to the Sil that you see in LOTR.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 05:52 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

' My suggestion here is to make up a chart as you are reading, or to refer often to the geneologies at the back of the text. '

There's no need for charts, use the Index! It'll tell you who a character is, though you have to be careful, if you read too much of an entry you'll learn how a character dies (many of the characters are slain, you'll find).
Old 11-19-2001, 06:51 AM   #4
Selwythe
Elven Warrior

The Silmarillion isn't enormous and unreadable (300+ pages only). History of Middle Earth is. I got to the 4th book and never went on.

But you must definitely read Silmarillion. I'm guessing you have the same impression as I had, that Silmarillion is of struggles long and far away which do not concern LoTR, and the only characters you know will be Galadriel, Sauron and Elrond. Instead, you will find that you discover greater characters, and their heroics are much more than a single story of destroying a ring. The legends in ME are much more powerful than you think.

One thing though, Sil is more of a historical narrative, with very little dialogue but more informative and direct text.

Last edited by Selwythe : 11-19-2001 at 06:55 AM.
Selwythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 03:21 PM   #5
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

In a word: Yes.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:32 PM   #6
Bombadil's PR Guy
Hobbit

The Silmarillion is an amazing work.
The heroic grand tone of the writing, along with the depiction of human (disguised as elves and ainur) nature at its foulest or finest make it seem like a true history. There certainly is a King James Version Old Testiment flavor to it which may make reading a little laborious as first, but one becomes accustomed to this once one becomes acclimated. The great thing about Tolkien's work is how expansive and ordered his universe is, and the vastness of Silmarillion really does make one further appreciate The Hobbit (even if these orcs were goblins, which makes me picture that spider-man villain....) and LOTR, to place these novels into this immense setting.
My approach was not to spend too much time backtracking, or looking things up in the back, but to keep the flow going. Maybe one loses some of the factual, but gains a better intuitive feel that way. Can always read it again. Having just finished Sil last week, it really makes me itch to give LOTR another go...and I just read that last month.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:57 PM   #7
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

The Sil is definitely my favorite book ever. While the characters may seem more impersonal, I think they are more grand and majstic than most in LOTR.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:04 AM   #8
Lightice
Elven Warrior

It's a lot better than Bible. Yes, I know, that doesn't tell much but yes, read it. It's a great book.
It may be too heavy to read for some people (including myself, when I first time read it) but if you can get over it, it's just great.
Same thing applies to many very good books.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 09:30 PM   #9
Elendil
Sapling

It Definitly is Harder to Follow then the other works of Tolkien, I would suggest if you are not doing the chart thing. to pick up a tolkien dictionary I bought one it it was invaluble when reading the sil
Elendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 11:19 AM   #10
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel

I'm reading it for the second time and IMO it's the best freakin book in the world! I would recommend reading it!
Old 12-17-2001, 04:47 PM   #11
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

The Silmarillion is definitely a must for any serious Tolkien fan. It is a fantastic book, and it really gives that sense of wonder. However I cannot agree it is Tolkien´s best. Depends on what angle you look of course. But to me the prose of the LotR is so grand the Sil cannot rival it.
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 06:48 PM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I agree that the Sil is a must read for anyone serious about Tolkien. Let me just say that if you love Elves, you will definately love the Sil. It can indeed be tough first time around, but also a rewarding experience. I've said it before, one of the best books if not the best book I've ever read.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 07:39 PM   #13
Bombadil's PR Guy
Hobbit

Tom Bombadil

When I was reading LOTR, there were so many references to the recent to distant past, that, although I was sad to have finished it, I was itching to find out all about where these creatures came from. Silmarillion provides a tremendously rich backdrop, whereby one again feels the need to re-read Lord of The Rings. I do understand that there is still more information to gather from the other works (I'm getting a couple Tolkien books for Christmas), but Silmarillion was thoroughly engrossing.
Old 12-18-2001, 05:23 PM   #14
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Let me just say that if you love Elves, you will definately love the Sil.
Yes, I agree on that. To know Elves, the Sil is THE book! There is a richness of Elven history and individuals. Like that marvellous guy, was it Finrod or Thingol he was called...?
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Old 12-18-2001, 09:52 PM   #15
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I'm pretty sure it was Thingol. Finrod was the guy who tried to kill Beren by leading him treacherously into the Isle of Werewolves. Or anyway that's how I remember it.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:52 PM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Kirinki and Inoldonil:

Old 12-19-2001, 01:49 AM   #17
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

lol
Old 12-19-2001, 05:23 PM   #18
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

A lot of mixed emotions there, Sister?

I never knew what hit me in that "King´s garb" thread ages ago, when I took Thingol as an example of a noble king...
Old 12-19-2001, 11:51 PM   #19
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirinki54
A lot of mixed emotions there, Sister?

I never knew what hit me in that "King´s garb" thread ages ago, when I took Thingol as an example of a noble king...
One of my better threads. Thank you very much.
Old 02-10-2002, 02:51 PM   #20
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

"When I was reading LOTR, there were so many references to the recent to distant past, that, although I was sad to have finished it, I was itching to find out all about where these creatures came from."

That is exactly how I felt!There was so much stuff I wanted to know about ME and elves and things that I couldn`t just sit there.I picked up the Sil. and from just reading a couple of pages I could tell it was just what I needed.I`m about half way through now but am definetley going to reread lotr.it will make so much more sense.
i just have one question that i could probably be slaughtered 4 asking but is going to kill me neway if i don`t get an answer:why is middle-earth called middle-earth?has it got something to do with the merging light of the illuin and the ormal?please help me!
eowyn144 is offline   Reply With Quote