Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-11-2001, 11:51 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

how old were the major characters

how old were the major characters in LOTR

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 01:56 PM   #2
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Frodo = 50
Aragorn = 87
Samwise = 35
Boromir = 40
Gandalf = Timeless
Merry = 27-30
Pippin = 27-30
Legolas = Debated
Gimli = Around 80 I believe, he said once he was too young to go with Thorin and Company.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 03:16 PM   #3
Grendel
Hobbit

The War of The Ring began on June 20, III 3018. The age of the Fellowship of The Ring was as follows:

Frodo - 50 - Born III 2968
Sam - 35 - Born III 2983
Aragorn - 87 - Born III 2931
Gandalf - Immortal - Arrived III 1000
Boromir - 40 - Born III 2978
Gimli - 139 - Born III 2879
Merry - 36 - Born III 2982
Pippin - 28 - Born III 2990
Legolas - Unknown - Legolas's father is Thranduil, King of Mirkwood. Thranduil is mentioned as early as II 1000. No date for the birth of Legolas is given.

Grendel
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 03:37 PM   #4
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Strider Aarogorn 87??????????????????????

I thought he was at least between 50-70, I never thought (or knew) he was 87! I mean that's older then my Grammie and Grampie
Old 11-11-2001, 03:42 PM   #5
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel

But then again I'm forgetting his of the Numanerians!(I know I didn't spell that right....)
Old 11-11-2001, 03:43 PM   #6
Grendel
Hobbit

"I never thought (or knew) he was 87! I mean that's older then my Grammie and Grampie"

Yes, but the Dunedain have much longer lifespans than common men. Aragorn lived for another 124 years. He died in year 120 of the Fourth Age at 211 years old. At 87, Aragorn was equivalent to a 35-year-old man.

Grendel
Old 11-11-2001, 05:51 PM   #7
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

thanks

what about faramir, eowyn, denethor, imrahil and theoden?

with boromir, denethor, faramir and imrahil i know they have numenorean blood but that it had decreased in potency over the ages

aragorn lived about thrice the age of mortal men AND could have lived long. i think he said something to arwen about being given the choice to end his life.

what was the life span of the dunedain of the late 3rd age?

dwarves are long lived what about their life spans

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 11-11-2001, 05:55 PM   #8
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I'm not sure but I think the Dúnedain of the late Third Age lived twice as long as that of 'lesser' Men. Dwarves usually lived 250 years.
Old 11-11-2001, 07:10 PM   #9
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

The reason Aragorn lived so long is because he was a Numenorean of pure lineage.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 09:47 PM   #10
Grendel
Hobbit

"thanks ... what about faramir, eowyn, denethor, imrahil and theoden?"

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

The website above has a great wealth of Middle Earth information, including the birth and death dates for most of the characters.

Grendel
Old 11-11-2001, 09:53 PM   #11
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

thanks

'Dern Helm"

Old 11-11-2001, 10:01 PM   #12
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

it seems that finduilas was his sister BUt he died quite young for one of such blood 99 maybe he died in one of Esselar's campaigns

eomer married his daughter

'Dern Helm"

Old 11-11-2001, 11:50 PM   #13
arynetrek
Elf Lord

Quote:
The War of The Ring began on June 20, III 3018. The age of the Fellowship of The Ring was as follows:

Aragorn - 87 - Born III 2931
i could have sworn he was only about 60 - i take it you looked in the Tale of Years? (my copy isn't accessible at the moment)

also, wasn't he about 20 when he met Arwen, and waited 29 years before they married? or am i skipping a few decades here?

Quote:
aragorn lived about thrice the age of mortal men AND could have lived long. i think he said something to arwen about being given the choice to end his life.
He did - look at the last page or so of the Tale of Aragorn & Arwen, in appendix A. he tells Arwen that he's lived thrice the age of men of ME (exact words i believe) but doesn't want to die old & senile (paraphrase) - "old" in his case must mean more than 210, which was his age when he died.

Quote:
it seems that finduilas was his sister BUt he died quite young for one of such blood 99 maybe he died in one of Esselar's (you mean Elessar's? :P) campaigns

eomer married his daughter
if you're referring to Imrahil, there's another thread about his age.

i think Imrahil has Elven blood as well as Numenorean, but he was mostly "normal man;" & Elven traits don't seem to last in children who are less than half-elven (did Eldarion, Dior, the early Numenorean kings, etc. have The Choice, for example? i don't think so but i could be wrong) so i don't think the extended age would effect him THAT much.

aryne *

Last edited by arynetrek : 11-17-2001 at 02:12 AM.
arynetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 12:24 AM   #14
Tar-Elenion
Enting

Imrahil was born in 2955. He died in what would have been TA 3054 (4th Age 34).

Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Tar-Elenion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 08:18 PM   #15
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

Strider

Well-met all,

I believe Tar-Elenion (though I've been wrong before), the choice of the elvish or mannish fate was only bestowed by the Valar in the most extentuating circumstances such as: Beren/Luthien, Elrond/Elros, and Aragorn/Arwen. The choice was also only offered to those who were of at least half-elvish origins. No Numenoreans were given the choice to my limited knowledge...
Old 11-16-2001, 08:43 PM   #16
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
i think Imrahil has Elven blood as well as Numenorean, but he was mostly "normal man;"
I think with numenorean blood( and being a noble one at that) plus elvish blood(legolas' statment ) i still think he died quite young

'Dern Helm"

Old 11-16-2001, 10:22 PM   #17
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Lelondul you ol' dog! Welcome friend! What took you so long to get here?
Old 11-17-2001, 07:16 AM   #18
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lelondul
Well-met all,

I believe Tar-Elenion (though I've been wrong before), the choice of the elvish or mannish fate was only bestowed by the Valar in the most extentuating circumstances such as: Beren/Luthien, Elrond/Elros, and Aragorn/Arwen. The choice was also only offered to those who were of at least half-elvish origins. No Numenoreans were given the choice to my limited knowledge...
Very close. Luthien was given the choice of living in Valinor (where Beren could not go) or of becoming mortal and rejoining him. This extraordinary option was offered to her because of her deeds against Morgoth. The others were given a choice because of their mixed heritage. Elwing and Earendil chose to be of the Eldar. Their sons, Elrond and Elros were also given this choice. Interestingly, Elrond's children were allowed to choose for themselves, while Elros' descendants were not.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 02:02 PM   #19
Tar-Elenion
Enting

--------------------
Quothe Lelondul:
------------------

You may wish to readdress this to who ever it was you were responding to. I don't recall having addressed this topic on this thread. Perhaps you meant 'arnyetrek'?

In any event Bacchus is fairly correct in his reply. Manwe was the arbiter of the Doom of those with mixed blood (that is those with mixed blood were mortal unless Manwe specifically granted them other Doom).

Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Tar-Elenion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 02:21 AM   #20
arynetrek
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar-Elenion
You may wish to readdress this to who ever it was you were responding to. I don't recall having addressed this topic on this thread. Perhaps you meant 'arynetrek'?
if you were answering me, thank you. if you weren't, thanks anyway.

Quote:
In any event Bacchus is fairly correct in his reply. Manwe was the arbiter of the Doom of those with mixed blood (that is those with mixed blood were mortal unless Manwe specifically granted them other Doom).
Manwe? or Mandos?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lelondul
The choice was also only offered to those who were of at least half-elvish origins. No Numenoreans were given the choice to my limited knowledge...
now what about Tuor, a Man who i believe DID go to Valinor? there's a line in Sil. that talks about Elves who choose the fate of Men and Men who choose the fate of Elves (i get my copy back tomorrow, i'll find the quote & put it in here when i find it) - he is not a Numenorean but a Man who went to the Undying Lands for himself (theory: Frodo & co. went, lived out their days in a beautiful Elf-filled paradise but eventually died - Tuor did the same thing)

Quote:
Interestingly, Elrond's children were allowed to choose for themselves, while Elros' descendants were not.
don't remember reading anywhere about the fate of Elladan & Elrohir - did JRRT write anymore about them?

aryne *
arynetrek is offline   Reply With Quote