Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-09-2001, 01:05 PM   #1
Elvellon
Elf Lord

What do you like/dislike about Feanor?

Let’s see, I hope this is new:

What do you like/dislike about Feanor?

(If this is new I might start a new thread with a new character each week).

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 06:19 PM   #2
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

Nope, its not new. (Sorry) Look through some of the old threads in The Silmarillion section. We've had this three times in the 7 months i've been here.
Old 11-09-2001, 06:24 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I don't really take such a view towards characters. As a character, I think he's an essential element to the mythology. He is an essential element. His tragic story of power, pride and hate outlines the great Rebellion and hopeless War of the Exiled Noldor. As in so many other stories, he's the 'badguy' that makes the story interesting (in fact makes the story), even though he dies early on. And he's a different kind of antagonist, too. He made the Silmarilli, beautiful, pure, hallowed, though he himself became jealous of them. His sworn enemy was even Tolkien's Satan. He was fighting the right guy, but he was fighting for the wrong reasons and with no hope for success. This is a man who does not fall into the erroneous 'black & white' label that many put on Tolkien's works.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:37 PM   #4
XRogue
Elven Warrior

Well put, Inoldonil. Anti-heroes are useful creatures.

BTW, I feel pity for Feanor, in spite of himself.
XRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 11:01 AM   #5
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

I agree completely with Inoldonil.

But Feanor as a person? What is there to like really? In this world he would probably be classed as a psychopath...?
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 12:38 PM   #6
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Is Feanor a psychopath? Personally I disagree.
Certainly, after the death of is father, and the theft of the Silmarils, Feanor wasn’t entirely rational, but Feanor was a very emotional person to begin with. And we must not forget several things; having lost his mother at birth, Feanor dedicated all his love to his father during is childhood days (and I’m certain that, at the time of the theft of the Silmarills the bound between father and son was the stronger that Feanor felt). He could not help himself to see Indis and her children as intruders. It was this resentment that Morgoth used, kindling strife among the noldorin princes (and if Finarfin was wise enough to not fall into the “trap” Fingolfin and Feanor fell right into it, giving reasons to Feanor fears). Sure, his actions were condemnable, but they were not entirely without cause (if grossly overreacted) and, the worse of them, were the result of unbearable grief and anger. Personally I see him not as a psychopath, not even truly a villain, but a very tragic figure that, under great duress, failed to rein his emotions and brought grief to himself and others.

The Caffeine Mantra

Elvellon Erelion
Old 11-20-2001, 04:05 PM   #7
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

Interestng outlooks, but i agree mostly with Evellon. Couldn't you go far enough to comaring him to Hamlet?? I havne't read it in ages but Feanor kind of reminds me of the Tragic Hero
Old 11-20-2001, 05:52 PM   #8
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I would say rather the tragic villain.
Old 11-20-2001, 08:03 PM   #9
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Baro! Tragic Anti-Hero

Last edited by Wayfarer : 11-20-2001 at 08:10 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 06:46 PM   #10
olorin7
Hobbit

definetly not a hero. if he was around today, he would be mike tyson. the guy never thought except when he was creating something
olorin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 07:28 AM   #11
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I admire/envy his gifts but he was a !@@##%$ person.

Especially, when he was dying and percieved that Melkor could not be deafeated and STILL held his sons to pursue the Silmarils

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 08:22 AM   #12
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Feanor was a curious person. Never in control of his emotions, mostly a slave of them. By the time he was dying he understood the futility of his war against Morgoth, but his hate and rage didn’t allow him to accept this.

The Caffeine Mantra

Elvellon Erelion
Old 03-08-2002, 12:21 PM   #13
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Although an essential character to the story, actually "sine qua non" to the plot, I ended up despising Feanor and his rotten punk kids. Feanor is second only to Morgoth in number of elves slaughtered, when all the direct and indirect casualties of his burning hubris are considered. Feanor brought down the glory of the Elves singlehandedly, thrust a "digitus vulgaris" in the face of the Valar, and encouraged the slaughter of his own kin in the pursuit of his stolen costume jewelry. He was evil, in that evil is a lust for power without concern for the fates of others, and his evil infested other elves and caused a rot at the core which led to the eventual downfall of the elves and the intervention of the Valar.

On the other hand, he is the instrument through which the downfall of Morgoth is ultimately achieved. He is a lynchpin in Eru's music and sets into motion a chain of events which puts Morgoth out of the world and into the Void. Without his actions Morgoth would not have been defeated.

So, Feanor was an interesting character, but I don't see him as really the anti-hero, but again, more in line with the Greek heroic tradition, in which a hero is tainted by overwhelming pride which leads to the loss of that which is precious and the eventual downfall of the hero. Hubris is the reson d'etre of Feanor, and I have always disliked characters possessed of this particular flaw.

Nolendil, a question: "He made the Silmarilli, beautiful, pure, hallowed, though he himself became jealous of them." Do you mean "jealous of them" in that he was jealous that anyone else would possess them, or that he was envious of the Silmarils themselves?
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 10:45 PM   #14
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

burning hubris

Great verbiage my friend.

If you don't mind me asking what is your occupation?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 10:19 AM   #15
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

my profession? Why, EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO, of course!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote