Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-03-2001, 06:25 PM   #1
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

What is so Neat About Dune?

I've heard about it....but I am wondering what all the fuss is about...

Can you fill me on the details? The plot? Why it is popular?
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 11:39 AM   #2
XRogue
Elven Warrior

Well, I won't go into the plot much because of spoilage. The original Dune novel concerns Paul Atreides, the young heir to a royal Duke and his Bene Gesserit concubine, who gets shipped with his parents to help rule a desert planet that is sole source of the most precious substance in the universe. Along the way, Paul loses his father to treachery, becoming the Duke, the leader of an outcast desert people, and the superbeing/Messiah of the universe. The plot is intricate and detailed, and a fascinating study of humanity.
XRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 10:57 PM   #3
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Dune is one of those novels that you will either love or not be able to finish because of boredom, regretably, I fall into the latter category.

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 04:28 PM   #4
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

The Dune books are quite cerebral so if you like books that make you think this is the way to go.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 07:49 PM   #5
sbpollo1
Sapling

I agree about being cerebral. Any thoughts about the gardeners in Chapterhouse? I think Herbert had planned further books.
sbpollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 07:07 PM   #6
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

What is so Neat About Dune?

I read the Dune books long ago, and I loved them. The beginning of the first book is very trying, but is worth the effort. I am thinking about reading them again. Peace.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:38 PM   #7
Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Enting

MINOR SPOILERS

Dune is essentially a messiah story...it takes place in the future where, due to ban on computers, spacefaring is only possible with the aid of a consciousness-enhancing drug called melange or spice. The only place in the galaxy where melange can be found is on the planet Arrakis, a.k.a. Dune. Our hero, Paul Atreides, is the heir to the throne of House Atreides, one of a handful of Royal Houses that, along with a Galactic Emperor, govern the galaxy (sort of like a senate-president thing). The governorship of Dune rotates among the Houses, with whatever house is in control gaining considerable power. Paul's dad gets the governorship, they head to Arrakis, and all hell breaks loose. Oh...there is also an order of strange women/witches that runs around the galaxy trying to manipulate the royal bloodlines.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the lidless eye.
Foul_Dwimmerlaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 08:27 PM   #8
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I enjoyed Dune, it was compelling, with interesting characters. The world is complex and I never got to the sequels.
Old 01-26-2002, 08:41 PM   #9
mirrille
Elven Warrior

You could give them a try.

But be warned, it gets VERY WEIRD as it goes on.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 09:04 PM   #10
Thrain of the Shire
Hobbit

It is a good read but...

It's a great read -- all the character and complexity but in a slightly more technological setting.

Told from many viewpoints, so it can be a bit hard to get into, but once you get to grips with the characters the complexity really grabs you.

My only feeling is that the books lose their way by number three -- either he lost his track or he had so much to say that he didn't know how to fit it all in. I found I was really losing interest by the end of book 3....but the first book has some good reading in it, IMHO
Thrain of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote