Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-20-2001, 10:49 PM   #1
fatclown
Hobbit

Gandalf Ten question quiz!

I'll post the answers in 5 days give it your best!

1.Who was the name of the easterling who led his people to betray the elves in the battle of unnumbered tears?

2.What valar discovered the elves on arda first?

3. Who is the father of Bolg the orc?

4. (easy one) what were the last words said in the presence of all the fellowship together (the nine)?

5. who was the greatest of all dragons?

6. How many gothmogs were there?

7. How many times did Sauron Flee his body?

8. Toughest question here, Who is the last dwarf-king of noegyth nibin?

9. What is the only mentioned name of the nazgul?

10. What rank is the above said nazgul?

Good luck!!
fatclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 02:36 AM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

1. Uldor the Accursed, I think, though perhaps that was just one of his sons.

2. Orome

3. Azog

4. As easy as it may seem, I don't know.

5. Ancalagon

6. Two we know about, possibly more. The chief of the Balrogs and the lieutenant of Minas Morgul.

7.) 0. He never forsook his body, it was destroyed three times, the last for good.

8. I don't believe Mîm was technically a King, but that may be your answer.

9. Khamûl (The Black Easterling)

10. He was second in rank, below the Witchking.

Some of these perhaps are wrong, one of course I did not attempt, the easiest
Old 09-22-2001, 12:57 PM   #3
fatclown
Hobbit

Very good!
YOu did wonderful, i will post answers to compare in a day. And remember, by fleeing i meant that sauron was near destruction so he left his body and took another form.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:33 AM   #4
rashbold
Hobbit

Strider

I do not have my sources with me (so if I am wrong with any of them) my only excuse is that I only relied on my memory.

1.Who was the name of the easterling who led his people to betray the elves in the battle of unnumbered tears?

That is easy. It was Ulfang. Can mentioning his three sons be a bonus (Ulwarth, Uldor, Ulfast)?

2.What valar discovered the elves on arda first?

Another easy one: Orome. And it's Vala, not Valar.

Hmmm... I think it's Azog, who by his killing of Thror led to the War of the Dwarves and Orcs.

4. (easy one) what were the last words said in the presence of all the fellowship together (the nine)?

I can't think of any other but farewell, spoken either by Elrond or Bilbo.

The first of the dragons was of course Glaurung, but the "greatest of the winged dragons" was Ancalagon.

I can only remember two: there was Gothmog the Balrog, slain by Ecthelion in the Fall of Gondolin. But there is also another Gothmog who was the Lieutenant of Minas Morgul.

I think four: the first was when he was defeated by Huan when assumed the form of a werewolf in the Tale of Lúthien and Beren; the second was when the land of Númenor fell, and him with it; the third was when he was slain (sort of) by Gil-galad and Elendil, ending the Second Age; and finally when the Ring was overthrown and he became just a spirit of malice.

None! The Noegyth Nibin were banished from the great dwarf-delvings of the east, and wandered up and about Beleriand, never taking permanent abodes.

Very easy: Khamûl, only mentioned in Unfinished Tales as the Ringwraith who asked for "Baggins" in Hobbiton.

10. What rank is the above said nazgul?

He was second to the Chief of the Ringwraiths, the Witch-King of Angmar. The Witch-king himself is not name. Khamûl was also called the Black Easterling.

How do I score?
Old 09-25-2001, 10:06 PM   #5
fatclown
Hobbit

Here are the answers. YOu all did very well

1.Who was the name of the easterling who led his people to betray the elves in the battle of unnumbered tears? Ulfang the Black

2.What vala discovered the elves on arda first?
Orume

Azog

"Fly you fools!" -gandalf

Anacagalon the black

2- lord of balrogs, and luitenant of minas morgul (not a nazgul)

3 - from huan the wolfhound, fall of angaband, and battle of dagorlad plains

Mim

Khamul , the 2nd in command of nazgul

10. What is his rank?
-2nd to the Witch-king of Angmar.

rashbold and inoldonil, you both did great. Yes rashbold you get extra credit for the sons .

Score:
Rashbold- 8
Unoldonil-7

Yes, to both of you ... Mim was the petty dwarf king.

And Rashbold- sauron did not flee his body at Numenor, he carried himself on a "black wind" along with the one ring (he only went there to decieve Ar Pharazon)
Old 09-26-2001, 05:24 PM   #6
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Welcome rashbold! Nice entrance

I contest the answers to #s 7 and 8.

On 7 --You'll have to quote the passage where Sauron flees his body in Beren and Lúthien. I remember that that was a threat Lúthien made, in order for him to surrender the Isle of Werewolves to her power. But he didn't forsake his body. After the battle (with Huan) he took on the form of a Vampire and hung out in Dorthonion for the rest of the age. I don't remember him forsaking a body after the destruction of Angband either, but I don't doubt it. As for Dagorlad, he didn't flee his body, it was destroyed.

On 8-- Mîm was not a King. As far as I'm aware there's no record of any King of the Petty Dwarves.

The Fellowship question was easy! I forgot if we're talking about all the Fellowship it means Boromir and Gandalf have to be in the scene together.
Old 09-27-2001, 12:51 PM   #7
rashbold
Hobbit

Hmmmm.....concerning Sauron, it is right that he did not leave his body when he was defeated by Huan: he only assumed the form of a vampire and fled to Angband and played a passive role until the overthrow of Morgoth at the end of the First Age. However, the fair-seeming form he assumed during most of the Second Age was destroyed during the Fall of Númenor and thereafter he was unable to assume a similar form.

As for Mîm, he was never, and never assumed the title of Kin or Lord of the Nibin-noeg. The Petty-Dwarves were not recognized as Incarnates (Quenya Mirroanwi) at first by the Eldar, "for they never caught sight of them in clear light. They only became aware of their existence indeed when they attacked the Eldar by stealth at night, or if they caught them alone in wild places." Thus the Eldar assumed that they were some kind of two-legged animals living in caves, and gave them the name Levain tad-dail (two-legged animals), or simplyTad-dail and hunted them. (In Quenya this was translated as Attalyar "bipeds". However, after the Eldar made acquaintance of the Naugrim, they recognized the Petty-Dwarves and left them alone, giving them the names nogotheg "dwarflet" and nogoth niben "petty-dwarf" (Quenya Pikinaukor, pityanaukor). War of Jewels, pp.388-389
Old 09-28-2001, 04:52 PM   #8
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
the fair-seeming form he assumed during most of the Second Age was destroyed during the Fall of Númenor and thereafter he was unable to assume a similar form.
Perhaps it's semantics, but does that mean that Sauron fled his body? His body was destroyed, so his spirit returned to Middle-earth. He did not leave his body before its destruction, surely then one cannot say that he fled?