Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2001, 02:36 PM   #1
Sakata
Elven Warrior

Shannara Series

I am surprised there are no posts about these books. Next to the Lord of the Rings, they are my favorite. If you havent yet read them, I highly recomend them. They have good story lines (though there all pretty repetetive) and some really awsome battle scenes.

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 12:37 AM   #2
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

I just reread all of em, and read the latest one. I found myself impressed again, now that I paid a bit more attention to them. Some of them are quite repetitive, but there are a number of very well done parts in them - and they definitely have the can't-put-down-till-done-series quality. ~grin~
Old 09-09-2001, 02:57 AM   #3
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I've not read the most recent one yet, is it as good as the rest?
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 11:26 AM   #4
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

I'd say so. It has a bit more of a different style to it than the others, but certainly an enjoyable read.
Old 09-09-2001, 04:33 PM   #5
Ben
Retired Ent

I read the Shannara series. I'm currently in the middle of the new one, Ilse Witch.

The original book was a blatant LotR ripoff (Shea = Frodo, Flick = Sam, Allanon = Gandalf, Warlock Lord = Sauron) but still well-written and enjoyable.

There have been topics about this series in this forum before, trying going back further than 30 days. Or maybe I ought to set back the default setting...

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 01:13 PM   #6
Onodrim
Sapling

Ah, what memories this is discussion brings back to me. I loved the entire series. My favorite character was Garet Jax, weapons master. When he died I actually cried, a couple tears here and there, if you want to call that crying.
Onodrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 04:49 AM   #7
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

I love Shannara books so much!

I've read them all except the Isle Witch, which I want to read, and I have restarted reading them. Like in the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, I get scared and amazed all over again. I always cry in the same places, and in new ones to, like I cry in The Lord of the Rings. Glad to see other people who like the Shannara books as well as the Lord of the Rings. My favorite characters were Shea, Flick, Par and especialy Coll.

Tension, Battles, Journies, Despair...... I'm in heaven.
Elven Warrior Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 10:14 PM   #8
Sakata
Elven Warrior

They are a great seires, my favorite character was Matty Roh, she kicked butt

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 02:53 AM   #9
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

It's been so long for me I hardly remember the characters. Except I do remember some of them, from book to book, did seem to have highly repetative characters. I liked Walker Boh quite a bit, though.

Too bad the most recent one isn't available at our library, or I'd read that one too.
Old 10-17-2001, 08:31 PM   #10
Werewolf
Hobbit

I have read most all of them, I think they are the best fantasy next to Tolkien of course
Old 11-12-2001, 01:17 AM   #11
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Heeeeey...I read one of these...The First King of Shannara...

Purdy good, I must say.

Altho, friend of mine kept calling it 'Shanar-nar....'
Old 12-15-2001, 06:21 PM   #12
cjs
Sapling

I have read all the shannara series but has anybody read other books of Terry Brooks The Magic Kingdom series was pretty good, an easier read, also the Word and the Void was a change from his other series.
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 11:20 AM   #13
Talera
Sapling

I tried reading the first Terry Brooks but I just couldnt' get on with it. I see what you mean about it being a blatant Lord of the Rings rip off. I've heard they get better later on but then drop off in the latest series. Do you think it's worth me giving him another chance?
Talera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 07:43 PM   #14
Anthy Rose
Sapling

I think they are worth giving another shot. I have only read the prelude and book one myself, so can't comment on if the quality goes down or not. ^^;; I plan on continuing the series...as soon as I read the other 20 or so books that have been sitting unread for way too long.
Anthy Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 10:08 PM   #15
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

They're very good books, you'll like them. The First King of Shannara is my least favorite though, so I'd suggest that you start with the next book, The Sword of Shannara. That will give you a good idea of what the other books are like.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:49 PM   #16
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I've read all of them and am eagerly awaiting "Morgawr".
Isle Witch and Antrax were quite interesting but Antrax's ending is SUCH a cliffhanger, how could he leave us hanging like that?
Old 04-16-2002, 03:40 PM   #17
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by cjs
I have read all the shannara series but has anybody read other books of Terry Brooks The Magic Kingdom series was pretty good, an easier read, also the Word and the Void was a change from his other series.
What's the magic kingdom? I've never heard of that. I've started his newest continuation of the Shanarra series, but I've finished all the ones currently out and am looking for something to tide me over. What are the titles?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 04:15 PM   #18
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
First of all. Is Shanara or Shanarra or Shannara. No one seems to know the exact spelling of the name. I think it's Shannara, two n:s, one r.

At the moment I'm collecting the latest series "Voyage of Jerle Shannara". Have Ilse Witch and have ordered Antrax.

I remarked on the writing style of Terry Brooks in one post. The fact that he seems to be going out of his way to ALMOST kill his dramatis Personae in every scene got on my nerves a bit. Otherwise they were quite good and VERY MUCH different from The Lord of the Rings which most people compare Brooks' books with.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 04-27-2002 at 06:51 AM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 11:29 AM   #19
Garina
Elf Lord

I have read about four of them but I haven't read the Sword of Shannara because my library doesn't have it!!! I thought they were very good. Allanon does remind me of Gandalf, but Gandalf has a sense of humour, which Allanon seems to lack!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 12:19 PM   #20
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Garina
I have read about four of them but I haven't read the Sword of Shannara because my library doesn't have it!!! I thought they were very good. Allanon does remind me of Gandalf, but Gandalf has a sense of humour, which Allanon seems to lack!
I agree that Allanon is lot grimmer than Gandalf. Maybe that's due to the fact that the "Shannara" world is grimmer, in a way, than Middle-Earth.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote