Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-14-2001, 06:01 PM   #1
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Gandalf Gandalf's Staff

We all know he had one, but what was it good for? Did he use it to increase his powers?
webwizard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 06:22 PM   #2
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

it seems to be necessary to do his tricks: to break Moria's bridge, to cast light in the mines, to defeat Wormtongue...

do you think it works like a ring?
Old 08-14-2001, 07:04 PM   #3
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

Gandalf's Staff

He probably used it to focus his "magic". I don't think it increased his power. The wizard's rods were unique in some way.
Finmandos12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 09:15 PM   #4
juntel
Entmooter

"Coolness" was also important in these ages...
Old 08-15-2001, 01:00 AM   #5
morkhon
Sapling

Nazgul

I've always seen the wizards' staffs as a mark of their station and a focus for their power, but not neccessary or where their power came from. They were Maiar after all.
morkhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 12:27 PM   #6
hiku747
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel gandalf's staff

i always thought gandalf's staff had its own sort of power, power he could derive to use, but not that it actually made him more powerful, but it also gave people a more powerful and respectful view of him. Fat Middle he needed it for certain tasks, like you said...
Old 08-15-2001, 02:42 PM   #7
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I agree with juntel, an Istar can't look cool without a staff.

I don't think though that there were was any power in the staff itself, save that which held up a certain kind of spiritual authority and office. It is much more dangerous in the hands of a Wizard than someone else and can evidently be put to good use magic-wise (remember The King in the Golden Hall chapter), but I don't think anyone else could have done much with one, save strike another with it.
Old 08-18-2001, 12:31 PM   #8
Meneldil
Hobbit

I thought their staff had an essence of their power, after all how else Gandalf make it impossible for Saruman to use spell?
the Flammifer of Westernesse."
Meneldil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 02:51 PM   #9
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Gandalf

Maybe, the staff's allowed the Istari to channel their powers, or the staffs were like the Rings of Power.
Old 08-21-2001, 06:57 AM   #10
The Eye of Fangorn
Sapling

I don't think he needed it. He was a maia after all. Not all wizards had a staff. Radagast didn't had one. Though he wasn't as powerfull as Gandalf.

I am friend of Ents and their protector.

But you can call me Fangs.
The Eye of Fangorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 01:38 PM   #11
Meneldil
Hobbit

But what exactly did Gandalf do when he broke the staff of Saruman?
the Flammifer of Westernesse."
Meneldil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 12:17 AM   #12
thephantomcat
Hobbit

They may have been Maia but when they came to middle earth as messengers they pretty much agreed to be human for a while. I think that without his staff. Gandalf wouldn't be able to do any of his "tricks." He would still be wise and see things other people couldn't like the future and read peoples' minds the same way that Saruman could still influence people with his voice. But I don't think that a dwarf could chop up the staff with his axe, either.
thephantomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 12:23 AM   #13
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Radagast had a staff, all the Wizards did. This is said in Tolkien's writings on the matter, published in Unfinished Tales (Of the Istari). It's simply not described. I wonder what sort of tree it came from. Gandalf's was ash-wood. Saruman's we just know to be black and heavy and I suppose it's possible that it wasn't even wood (as the staff of Saruman in the movies). A stone staff would indeed be fitting for one of the people of Aulë.

Don't forget phantomcat, that Gandalf did not use his staff when he lit the faggot in the Redhorn Pass, or anyway as far as I remember.
Old 08-23-2001, 07:14 PM   #14
bombcar
Hobbit

Gandalf staves, etc.

I think the staff had to be part of his "kit" as it were, and also a symbol of his office. This would explain the breaking of Saruman's staff and Grima's comment about weapons and wizards.

Also, Gandalf's staff was used to produce light at least once, in Moria, if I remember correctly.
bombcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 07:59 PM   #15
galadriel
Elven Warrior

i agree with phantomcat. Based on what I read in "Unfinished Tales", the job of Gandalf and the rest of the Istari was not to fight Sauron by openly using their powers, but to subtly guide the people of Middle-earth in the struggle against the Enemy, using their powers only when neccessary. Because of this, their powers were pretty limited. It seems like the staffs controlled most of their powers, except for their natural wisdom and intuition. True, Gandalf didn't hold up his staff and do the whole spell routine everytime he wanted a little light, but maybe just having it with him was enough for little things like light and fireworks.

I'll agree that the staff did have a lot to do with image. Not only did it look super cool, it gave Gandalf a lot of authority, showing that he had the powers that went along with being a "servant of the secret fire".

Hey, what does that mean anyway, "servant of the secret fire"? What's the secret fire? I'm assuming it has something to do with Aule. If anyone knows, tell me, ok?

The comments about it being like a ring make sense: it seems that their magic is vested in the staff the same way that Sauron's power was put into the ring.

I wonder what *could* destroy a staff... definitely not a misplaced axe or sword! My guess is that only a Maia or a Vala could break a staff, since it would be way too easy to rob a wizard of his power otherwise.

There's one other good use for a staff that you're all forgetting: unless he was having fun being SuperGandalf the White, Gandalf actually needed the staff as a cane. He and the rest of the Istari are in the form of old men, remember?

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 09:26 PM   #16
treebeard
Sapling

Gandalf

I believe Gandalf focused some magic on it but not much.I do not think it is as powerful as the ring.Gandalf says I Gandalf the Grey know dark has more power.The ring was made by the hands of Suaron.Therefor I think the ring is stronger.
treebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 09:53 PM   #17
ringbearer
Elf Lord

I would not want to pick a fight with Gandalf...with or without his staff...it is mostly a symbol.

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 01:02 AM   #18
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

If you really pay close attention, you may find Gandalf needed no prop for old age whatsoever. He's not your average toofwess ol' gaffer, he was hardy, agile, strong and lithe.
Old 08-24-2001, 02:18 AM   #19
thephantomcat
Hobbit

When all is said and done, if I were a wizard, I'd want a staff just like Gandalf's so I could look super cool like him. And not just a puny wand. (evading flying fruit thrown by Potter fans.) jk
thephantomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 10:35 AM   #20
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Gandalf

Wands lack the triple edged power of a staff.While a magic wand can only cast spells, a magic staff can cast spells, bonk others on the head with, and help you climb mountains.