Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2000, 06:20 PM   #1
dmaul96

Y2K was a bunch of crap!

The US spent 10 billion dollars to fix a problem that never existed. Why the hell would 00 screww up a comp? My ****py Packard Bell even survived. 66mh(originally 25 mhz) 4 megs of ram 640k hardrive, i think

Old 01-02-2000, 06:36 PM   #2
captain Tarpols

yeah i know, nothing would have happened. I mean maybe the date on comps would be 1900 but who cares?

Old 01-02-2000, 06:51 PM   #3
DarthNut

People are sooooooooo stupid.

Old 01-02-2000, 08:49 PM   #4
anduin

What is wrong with people?

Old 01-02-2000, 11:00 PM   #5
bmilder

Yeah, well had the government not spent billions, who knows what might've happened? "Ill-prepared" computers and nations seem to have survived, though...

Old 01-02-2000, 11:48 PM   #6
DarthNut

Ya, like Russia.........

Old 01-03-2000, 07:41 PM   #7
Elanor

OH, sure, but what about when 3000 comes along?

Old 01-03-2000, 08:45 PM   #8
galadriel1

Re: Crap

I had friends that were doing the extreme stuff like stocking up on food to last for a year, generators, weapons, etc. It felt so good to say, "I TOLD YOU SO!" People are so gullible! They spent all of that money and now they`re crying about it! There are a lot of stupid people in the world! All Y2K was was a big money-making deal and an excuse for government to spend more of our money. You can`t tell me that out of all of the computer experts and brilliant scientists there are in the world that not one of them would have foreseen the 'problem' a long, long time ago? Uh, HELLO! Do they think EVERYONE`s that stupid? Thank God there are some of us sane people with sense.

Old 01-03-2000, 11:38 PM   #9
Darth Tater

Actually they've known about this problem a lot longer than it's been in the news. Sure, now you can talk about it like the people who prepaired were idiots, but that's looking back. Something could have happened, and I think folks who prepaired moderately (I'm not talking about the folks who relocated) were, in my opinion, the smart ones. It is important that the money was spent, and obviously a lot of you don't understand what the problem was. It wouldn't really effect your home computer if you didn't have date dependant programs. What if would have effected if not fixed was programs such as ones dealing with accounting that were date based. There has always been a theory, the most probable one, that if one system is fixed (not that you can actually fix a computer, you can only adjust part, and that will bring out more problems.) it would help all the ones connected to it. Since the US really worked hard to deal with the problems, it is quite possible that this helped deal with the problems in the 2nd world countries. The 3rd world countries were'nt really a major concern, since they don't use computers that much, but the countries in the middle use computers a good amount but aren't too high tech. What the really shamefull thing is is how the media presented it. They blew the whole thing out of proportions and tried to make it a black or white issue. Truth is they really had no idea what was going on. I only know because I know a number of people who work in computer fields and deal with problems like this all the time. That's right, Y2K was nothing special, it's just that it seemed to make sense to the media and could be a major story, so they jumped on it. "Problems" like this are almost common place in the computer world, contrary to popular opinion, it's just that none of you would probably understand them (if that sounds like a flame so be it, but some folks aren't being to nice to others who might have actually worked hard to fix a potentially disasturace problem.)

Old 01-04-2000, 01:41 AM   #10
dmaul96

You're just saying that cuz you are one of the only *bleep* who actually unhooked their comp. I was online during Y2K. Where were you? Hiding in your basement, hoping that your comp won't explode?

Old 01-04-2000, 02:01 AM   #11
Elanor

:)

thanks Tater for the intelligent comment, unlike some others I have seen.

Old 01-04-2000, 02:10 AM   #12
anduin

Greg, I am really getting tired of your malicious attacks towards Tater. Today, as on other days, you've consistantly flamed him. I have warned you about this before, and now I am giving you your second warning...for whatever it is worth.

Old 01-04-2000, 02:21 AM   #13
bmilder

I agree that he has flamed a little too much, and I edited his message and talked to him. Also, anduin: On Entmoot, dmaul96 is JAE Greg's username is gdl96 I know this is confusing because one of Greg's Instant Messenger sn's is dmaul96, but remember that on the board, dmaul is Jae

Old 01-04-2000, 02:26 AM   #14
anduin

My apologies to Greg, in this instance.

Old 01-04-2000, 04:21 AM   #15
galadriel1

I still stick with my opinion that it got WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY out of control! My brother-in-law has worked with computers for close to 20 years and even he said it was blown way out of control.

Old 01-04-2000, 04:23 AM   #16
galadriel1

That last line should`ve said out of proportion. I have no editing button. Oops! I think it`s time for sleep mode! :-)

Old 01-04-2000, 10:24 PM   #17
bmilder

Yeah, I don't think WebTV users can edit their posts yet. Anyway, check out this <a href=http://www.msnbc.com/news/352975.asp>article</a> which about sums up my feelings on the bug.

Old 01-05-2000, 12:43 AM   #18
Darth Tater

Jae, I was watching TV as a matter of fact, an electrical form of entertainement. The reason I wasn't online was because of the amount of hacker and virus threats. I just wanted to play it safe. Oh, and you've earned yourself a 24 hour ban. I hope it gives you time to think about talking to others with the respect they deserve. I'm not just talking about the way you talk to me, I can take it and would ignore it in different circumstances. However you make general comments that are very unkind and you flame a lot of the users here. I hope this 24 hour ban is sufficient to teach you a lesson.

Old 01-05-2000, 06:02 AM   #19
Ryan6233

erm, just to say, if you want to experience the Y2K problem, reformat all your drives, re-install windows (macs are Y2K safe, cause they're cool) and set the date to 10 minutes before Y2K...noooot pretty.

Old 01-05-2000, 01:25 PM   #20
anduin

Ryan: "macs are Y2K safe, cause they're cool" Thanks Ryan, I think so too