Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-15-2001, 07:28 PM   #1
IronParrot

Evolution

My review re-posting spree continues.

If you don't feel like reading the whole review right now, let me sum it up for you: don't bother with this one.
Quote:
SUMMARY

A meteorite lands in the middle of Arizona, and the unicellular organisms within evolve at an extremely rapid rate that spins out of control.

RECOMMENDED FOR:

People who enjoy watching one-viewing comedies that are purely for entertainment and have no artistic value whatsoever, and are also easily amused. As a bonus, Evolution also boasts an abundance of shotguns, explosions and big CG creatures.

REVIEW

Evolution begins as a mediocre comedy with a lot of CG aliens. Unlike the aliens, the film never evolves beyond its initial state. From beginning to end, it is an unoriginal attempt at remaking Ghostbusters after bleeding all the charm out first.

Apparently, Evolution seems to be designed purely to entertain by evoking laughter. However, the intended humour rarely ever succeeds in being amusing, and the film is chock full of obvious jokes that just come off as irritating. The excess of black-and-white jokes circulating around Orlando Jones' character is distractingly unfunny, and such forced racial humour is something to roll your three eyes at. As for flatulence - if you want to see it done correctly and in an unintrusive manner, see Shrek.

David Duchovny's character still reads as "Fox Mulder under a different name and with a different personality." This is simply because the writing is focussed entirely on humour, and the shallow characters seem to be around solely to serve the jokes. Seann William Scott's performance is simply groanable. Ho-hum acting and a less-than-stellar screenplay result in a movie that is essentially characterless.

The FX creatures are comically designed and created, appropriate to the tone of the film. This is probably the one aspect of the movie where major complaints are not present.

However, even with its occasional qualities, Evolution simply fails to offer anything new and exciting in the world of cinema. There are plenty of films with FX aliens or bathroom humour nowadays, some of which even qualify as interesting. Even if Evolution amuses, it is still a forgettable movie that will not stand the test of time, and become extinct in the bowels of the Darwinian film industry.
Old 06-19-2001, 03:22 AM   #2
Film Hobbit

Re: Evolution

I don't know. I'm still not totally convinced their intent was to make me laugh. are you sure there were jokes in there?

I couldn't find it in my heart to be as nice with my review... but Duchovony's blonde hair highlights were nice.