Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Recommendations for trip to NY/NJ

My daughter and I will be heading to New Jersey in a week for a two-week course of medical treatment for her. We're hoping that she will be well enough to let us sight-see. We are only 30 minutes away from the Empire State building, so we're pretty close to fun stuff in NY. I have never been in that part of the country and would really appreciate any recommendations, from where to go and what to see to how to do it (taxi vs subway, time to day to go, what to avoid, etc.)

God willing this treatment will get rid of this horrible disease that she's had for 7 months now and has put her in such awful pain This is a very new treatment, but it's FDA-approved and the guy in NJ has had very good success with young CRPS patients (because their brains learn better). We are trying to make this a really positive, fun thing, and she is enjoying planning, so I'd like all the help/info I can get to make this the best trip possible so who better to ask than our wonderful Mooters

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Never been there myself but...

While some people prefer the stopping power of the .357 magnum, others like the 17-round magazine available with with the Glock 9mm.

Just kidding (ducks bricks from area residents). I hear things are much better than they used to be.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Ah New York is great. Its safer than downtown LA or Phoenix easily. It just looks scary but its not. Its just the attitude. Its also extraordinarily expensive which might explain why theres fewer bad neighborhoods. Just familiarize yourself with the subway system before you go and keep maps on you at all times. The streets make sense but its good to have a concept where things roughly are geographically (Uptown versus Downtown versus Hells Kitchen versus Brooklyn versus Coney Island versus New Jersey etc.) Times Square is a tourist trap nightmare which I avoid like the plague but certainly poke your head into Radio City Music Hall and St. Patrick's Cathedral if you can. The Met is always rewarding as is the Guggenheim. And if you can make it to the Natural History museum thats one of my favorites. And visit the park if you are able. And make sure you get yourself a good NY bagel (Ess-A-Bagel is great), a proper slice of New York pie which you can find all over the city (the best pizza in the world is in Brooklyn but theres no sense trekking all the way out there unless you are a real pizza connoisseur and no where to go. This is about getting the traditional NY pizza pie experience which can be found on most any street in Manhattan itself. Thin and greasy and cheesy... mmm.... Oh and visit a good deli while you are there. Theres the standard tourist classics like Carnegie Deli or Zabars. But if you ask me and if you must hit ONE place to eat in the greater NY region it would be Harold's New York Deli in Edison, New Jersey. Its about 30 miles south of the city but its worth it and you mention being in NJ and NY so if you can, GO. Just GO. You will understand when you go...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Good time to check out JD's NJ website! as linked in my signature

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
CRPS
Arg, that's terrible. It must be appalling to see her go through that. I hope she gets the relief she deserves.

You'll have a great time. NY is one of the wonders of the world. Go out on a boat trip would be my recommendation, great way to see any city. Loved Ellis Island.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

hey guys just a quick check-in, the treatments are going great!!!! Even better than the doc expected. From being almost unable to walk, she did a cartwheel down the hotel hallway yesterday!!!!!!!!!!

This new treatment (only 5 years in the US; started in Italy) seems to be a break thru. It's an entirely new way of treating CRPS/RSD - it's electrical treatment instead of mechanical (spinal blocks, Bier blocks, heavy drug treatments) and it's amazing!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Wow, that is amazing Rian! :0

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
From being almost unable to walk, she did a cartwheel down the hotel hallway yesterday!
Oh awesome! That's some recovery. I hope you two are having a great time as well.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Rían

Yes, we are - I have two sons and she's my only daughter. My sons are lots of fun, but there's a special connection between mom and daughter

We haven't been able to do much because the treatment really tires us out, but we're enjoying the time together.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Yes, we are - I have two sons and she's my only daughter. My sons are lots of fun, but there's a special connection between mom and daughter

We haven't been able to do much because the treatment really tires us out, but we're enjoying the time together.
I hope everything went/will go smoothly for you and your daughter.

I do not know if you are still in the city, but there are many things to see in the city and in New Jersey.

From NJ Tourism site

In Newark, NJ there is the Ferry street. It is a Portuguese area with many fine shops and good restaurants.
The Newark Museum is nice to see. If you like historical houses, part of the museum has the Ballantine House which is primarily Victorian in style and furnishings.

You can get to Newark via the Path trains from NYC.

Branch Brook Park has Cherry Blossoms which are very pretty this time of year.

NYC's tourism website

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Mari
Elf Lady

Yay for the treatment working so far!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #12
Rían

Had a bit of a setback We were having fun playing miniature ping-pong on the table in our hotel room, and laughing hysterically trying to hit the tiny ball with the tiny paddles, and my daughter lunged for a ball - and fell off of her chair onto a very hard porcelain bowl, of course on her affected leg She got a huge bruise. Things were OK for the first 2 days, then on the third day, some CRPS pain came back So instead of going home today, we now have to stay over until next Wednesday.

Please pray that we will get her back down to a 0 again!!!!!

Today we had a nice day, though - we rested a LOOOOOOONG time, then got up and took a train to the city and saw the Empire State Building, and walked around just a little bit. It was the most we've done this whole trip. It was nice to get out, although we're tired.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Sorry to hear about the fall.

Hopefully your daughter will spring back to zero in no time flat.

Did you see the parade down 5th Avenue today?

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
Rían

no, we're resting ... this treatment, although not painful, can make you really tired, and it's really hitting her hard. In 2 weeks, we've only been able to do 2 minor sightseeing trips - rats! But the bruise has gone down and things are better today - hooray! - so she is doing a little spring back

Old 04-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #15
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Good to hear, all the best for the rest of the course.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote