Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-03-2000, 07:55 AM   #1
Elanor

Mercedes Lackey

Ok, I've recently been reading the Heralds of Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey. So far, I like most of it. My library frustratingly is missing some of the books. My favorite characters are Talia and Karal, and my favorite books are Arrows of the Queen and Storm Breaking. Any experts on this series or other Lackey books? I've been thinking of reading the Bardic Voices ones...are they any good? What are your favorite characters or books?
Old 11-04-2000, 02:07 AM   #2
Finduilas

Re: Mercedes Lackey

For a "live" discussion of Lackey, I might suggest my board (2 threads fairly recient), but I'll give a summary here too

Have you read "Brightly Burning"? Last Herald Mage Trillogy? Mage Winds Trillogy? Vows and Honour Duology? Mage Wars Trillogy? The "Owl" Trillogy?

For her non-Valdemar books, I would have to say that, yes the Bardic Voices/Choices are pretty good (with the exception of "Four and Twenty Blackbirds")

I love her Diana Tregarde books (good luck finding them though) and find the Urban Fantasies/Serrated Edge books to be quite funny (despite the themes). Also love Sacred Ground. She has a book of short stories out called "Werehunter". I must say that the SKitty stories in it are really good (republished from the Catfanciers anthologies).

She has also done some collaborations on books with Anne McCaffrey and with Andre Norton. The books are The Ship who Searced (McCaffrey) and Elvenbane and Elvenblood (both with Norton).