Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-20-2000, 03:12 AM   #1
bmilder

Terry Brooks and Shannara

Anyone read the Shannara series? They were very good. I hear there's a new series coming, set hundreds of years after the last book, with only Walker Boh from the previous books as a character.
Old 01-20-2000, 10:34 AM   #2
emilsson

Re: Terry Brooks and Shannara

I have read all books. I really enjoyed them. In fact, they were among the first fantasy books I read. There´s a new series coming? Well, Walker Boh is my favorite character so I find it interesting.
Old 01-23-2000, 09:04 AM   #3
Jaro

I liked them, but I found it disturbing how much the first several books were like the LOTR series... ... of course, I read them right after finishing the LOTR trilogy for the first time.
Old 01-23-2000, 01:20 PM   #4
Elanor

I've been meaning to read these for a while now, but am reluctant because the library doesn't have the whole series--and that would just frustrate me, to miss part of the story! So as soon as I'm sure that I have access to the whole series at once, then I'll start!
Old 05-30-2000, 10:50 PM   #5
DopefishJustin

I recently read all eight Shannara books and just finished Magic Kingdom For Sale--Sold!. bmilder--have you heard anything further on the new series? That would rule, seeing how Walker has fared after several hundred years!
Old 05-30-2000, 10:53 PM   #6
etherealunicorn

There are new books in this series?
I hadn't heard of anything beyond the Scions of Shannara, but I would love to know what happens to the Shannara family, especially Walker and Wren.
Those books were good, and I really enjoyed them.
Old 05-31-2000, 12:21 AM   #7
bmilder

Welcome to the board, DJ

I haven't heard anything more, but then again, I haven't looked. I'll find out for you and post it here if you want.

I re-read LotR recently, and the Shannara books are very similar. Shea and Flick are just like Frodo and Sam, and the creatures that come to get them at the beginning, causing their flight from home are just like the Black Riders. But still, the style of writing is different and the stories aren't identical, so they're still enjoyable.

My original information was from a friend who went to get Brooks's autograph at a bookstore, and he read them a section from his upcoming book. I'll contact him if he's on tonight and ask if he has heard any more.
Old 05-31-2000, 12:33 AM   #8
bmilder

From the official site:

Terry has finished up the first major new Shannara novel in four years, The
Voyage of the Jerle Shannara: Ilse Witch. It will be published as a Del
Rey hardcover in September 2000. The new novel takes place 130 years
after Talismans of Shannara, and Walker Boh is of course still a Druid and
not very happy about that fact. Terry has said that the Ohmsford family will
not be involved as of yet, BUT there are FIVE books in the series so the
likelihood of the present Ohmsford family becoming involved is undoubtable.

Go here for more info: www.terrybrooks.net/ilse.html
Old 05-31-2000, 01:08 AM   #9
etherealunicorn

Well, that's good to hear! I sure appreciate you posting that information. That'll sure be nice to get some fresh Shannara to read.
Old 06-07-2000, 01:25 AM   #10
K haylan

bmilder;

Thanks for the update on Brook's latest in
the Shannara line. To be honest I did not
like the Heritage Of Shannara books as much
as the first three I read.

I also read all of the Landover series and I
got the feeling that Brooks was 'churning' them
out.

Or maybe it was me and I was od'ing a bit on
the genre and needed a break.

I probably will check out his new one though,
in paperback however, lol!

K'haylan
Old 07-06-2000, 03:16 AM   #11
AngelLord

Re: Shannara

The shannara books are good but the best by far was the First King of Shannara.
Old 07-06-2000, 06:47 PM   #12
emilsson

I got a question for you guys. Do you think one could start the Shannara series with First King of Shannara before reading the other books and still understand the story of the series? I´m asking because I debated this over at the JC in 98 and from what I recall most people answered that question with no. I just want to know how others feel.

Personally, I think it is possible and could be a good start if you want to read the whole series.
Old 07-06-2000, 11:52 PM   #13
bmilder

Well I like to read books in order of publishing. I suppose it's technically possible... but it's like saying whether someone should see the Prequel(s) before seeing Classic Trilogy for the first time.
Old 07-07-2000, 02:10 AM   #14
RKittle

I first read the Shanarra books when there was only 1 to read And I had just read LotR so man was I mad. What a ripoff! (or so I said to myself then). Gandalf = Allanon. Shea = Frodo, Sam = that other dude with Shea. I dropped the book in 3 chapters and waited 10 years to try it again.

By then I as much more familiar with LotR and found Shanarra to be similar but nowhere near the same. So I finished the first book... and pushed on through several more...enjoying each immensely.

Nowadays, I recommend them highly. I find them easier to read and written at a lower comprehnsion level than Tolkien, but still satisfying for kids and adults alike.
Old 07-07-2000, 02:40 AM   #15
etherealunicorn

Yeah, what you said
But seriously, I think that you raise a good point, RKittle. Good call, I think.
Old 07-07-2000, 04:01 AM   #16
AngelLord

I think I start a good shannara board with elven lore and the great wars. pub4.ezboard.com/balbinotreefrogForums

Has forum for elven magic and the great wars, I want to trade ez links.
Old 09-21-2000, 02:24 PM   #17
GlaurungTheGold

I've read all the Shannara books, and besides the First King, my favorite set of books was the last ones to be published. I hadn't heard anything about a new one, although it should be out now; I'll have to go check at the bookstore...

BTW this is the 700th post in this forum
Old 09-22-2000, 07:51 PM   #18
Elbreth of Carhouth

I read the first 3 or 4, and enjoyed them. They were quite addictive though, and couldn't manage to do my homework, so I had to quit. I have Terry Brooks's Episode I book though.
Old 09-25-2000, 05:13 PM   #19
Miralys

I enjoy Terry Brooks but truthfully I liked the Magic Kingdom of Landover series better. Whoever commented about the feeling that Brooks was "churning out" some of his novels, I must say that I have to agree. His earlier stuff was better. IMHO thats kind of sad when that happens. I understand the desire to finish a story line but as a reader I would rather wait longer to read one sequel that is well written than wait for a lesser period of time to read several sequels that are not all together satisfying.
Old 10-19-2000, 05:10 PM   #20
Tai daishar

I read the new one. It's pretty darn good. The only problem is now I have to wait for the next one to find out what happens. Arrrrggggghhh!

The only character that is the same is Walker Boh, who now goes by just Walker. He still hates being a Druid. That's about all I'll say about it, except the book has a really cool cover.