Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

How's the weather...?

Epic blizzard hitting Chicago as I write.

Chicago's record snow is 23" in 1967. I was here in town for the second - a 21.6" on New Year's Day of 1999. There was also a pretty heavy one in 1979.

They were watching this system for the past several days - saying it might be another major one. They say that a lot - and sometimes nothing comes of it, so we made preparations, but didn't count on it.

The weathermen delivered THIS time. I think about three things converged on Chicago at once - a major storm system from the west, a mass of moisture coming up from the Gulf of Mexico and a real oddity - very strong winds from the east (our prevailing winds are from the west - and that's almost always what we have).

It started yesterday afternoon - around 3:00 or 4:00. Slight snow at first, but really strong winds. I read in advance they might be 50 mph, I saw this morning there had been gusts of 70 mph. They've been expecting maybe 15' to 20' waves to come in from Lake Michigan - potentially flooding Lake Shore Drive and freezing. So at first the wind was blowing around like crazy - not staying much on roofs, drifting heavily on the back side of things, from the eddys. There was even thunder and lightning! Some people lost power from wind damage - but we're good there. Sometime around 6pm or later, snow started falling at 2" to 3" per hour.

This morning - still some wind gusts, but overall, less wind - more snow. It keeps coming down. I'll be watching for accurate snowfall amounts, and won't be surprised if we've already passed the record. Most of our back yard looks like it has over two feet of snow. I let the dog out and she dove into the snow ahead - then turned back and gave me a funny look. We think she's part husky, but we've spoiled her by keeping her indoors.

Unfortunately - a good friend of mine was coming home from a little south last night. He got to where he had to choose between Lake Shore Drive and expressways. The expressways had a sign indicating it was a 3 hour trip, so he decided to take the Drive, figuring it was still early in the storm - this was about 5pm. He made really slow progress for about three hours, then was not able to go anywhere - and he sat, gas running low, phone battery running low, car rocked by the winds. There had been some accidents, the city had closed Lake Shore Drive - and they just were not able to get all the cars off quickly because of the conditions, the snow, the stranded (and abandoned) vehicles, etc. He finally got 'rescued' and put on a bus this morning at 5am - then took an el train home. Honestly - I would have gone for him and tried to meet him on a side street, but I think I would have gotten stuck out there.

So... soon we'll have to start our clean-up. It's supposed to trail off by about 3pm today. But meanwhile - it's actually very spectacular and wonderful (if you're not sitting in your car stranded someplace).

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Valandil

Oh - and to top it off, temps are dropping sharply tonight. Zero or below (Fahrenheit) straight temperature. The wind chills are there now - those will be REALLY low when the straight temp goes negative, because the winds are continuing.

The Ice Dragon has struck!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 02-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quickly, call Gandalf!

Sounds like a rather spooky weather situation you're in. Snow, strong winds and lightning and thunder do sound rather epic.

I don't think I've ever even seen one foot of snow around these parts.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

A blizzard eh? A perfect excuse to stay indoors all day with many a nice, hot cup of chocolate

Good luck riding it out!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Not bad here-about 18 inches of snow on average and not much ice. The blizzard passed through with what we call "thundersnows." Basically it snows violently and thunders at the same time. It amuses me that it's 15 degrees F now, while on Saturday it was 74! The weather here is SO unpredictable!
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
katya
Elven Maiden

The storm in Northern Indiana is not that bad really. We had worse earlier in January. I guess maybe I don't care too much about blizzards though, I like lightning storms the best. I'm still heading to the gym today. School (i.e. work) was closed, yay, but the gym is the one that you get a key to so you can go any time. So it doesn't matter if they're closed.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes, I heard Chicago got hit really hard! That's a lot of weather!

Here in Phoenix we're having high winds and cooler temps - the high will be 49, which is quite cool for us.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
katya
Elven Maiden

So before going to the gym I had to shovel myself out... well there's my workout for the day I guess! So much snow.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Windy and rainy!
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

IT'S SO COLD HERE!!!!!!!!!

I wanna see some snoooooooooooow.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
Windy and rainy!
Well isn't that good ol' Scania for ya!

Still, better than Illinois blizzards or Queensland cyclones, så klaga lagom
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #12
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
oki, buddy. Indeed we are fortunate!
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:43 AM   #13
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

We got your blizzard today.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:06 AM   #14
Alcuin
Salt Miner

70 inches (178 cm) of snow so far along the coast of Massachusetts, with more on the way. The snow on the sidewalks and beside our driveway is piled above my head.

Last edited by Alcuin : 02-03-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 AM   #15
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Gwai - where are you now? Are you still in Santa Paula?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:46 AM   #16
Gwaimir Windgem

Toronto! Land of the theatre, and home of the draconic alcohol-sale laws!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 02-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #17
katya
Elven Maiden

What are your alcohol sale laws? Here we can't buy on Sunday but we just drive up to Michigan (maybe half hour away).

Second snow day in a row. The first one I was happy, the second one I'm more worried about only working one day this whole week. But I guess there's nothing I can do about it, so I'll just sleep in until right now and then have powdered donut holes and a beer for breakfast.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #18
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Was looking forward to tons of snow but all we got was freezing rain... But probably for the best. Last week when a snow/sleet storm hit right at rush hour it put the city (Washington, DC) into gridlock. They announced early dismissal from the Fed. Government and everyone panicked and left at the same time. I left at 4 and didnt get to my house till 11pm only to find no electricity for the next 28 hours... What fun...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #19
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
What are your alcohol sale laws? Here we can't buy on Sunday but we just drive up to Michigan (maybe half hour away).
A government bureau (the LCBO, Liquor Control Bureau of Ontario) is the only legal purveyor. Kinda freaked me out at first, but even more when I realized: monopoly = not a whole lot of sales.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #20
Valandil

My wife sent me this link:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...NRLL&gt1=42007

I heard from someone that the snow measured at O'Hare Airport was 20.2" - which makes this our third highest snowfall of all time. So now I've been here for two of the top three! But this one of course had the extreme winds and thunder and lightning.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court