Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-09-2000, 04:31 AM   #1
IronParrot

The Princess Bride

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Old 09-09-2000, 05:21 AM   #2
juntel

Re: The Princess Bride

I think it was the last time the Géant Ferré (or André The Giant for the anglo) appeared in a movie (and maybe the first time also?). How don't remember how many months or years after that he died.

Billy Crystal up to his reputation also in it.
Old 09-09-2000, 06:55 PM   #3
IronParrot

I have the novel by William Goldman (screenwriter of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid) and discovered that it was actually a shortening of a book of the same title by S. Morgenstern. Does anybody have any idea where I could find the original original?
Old 09-09-2000, 07:54 PM   #4
Elbreth of Carhouth

I love the Princess Bride. I read the actual original in grade three, but got it from the school library. I have no idea where it is now. I remember Wesley knocked on her door once, and when asked who it was replied "Wesley". "Wesley, Wesley? Oh! Farm Boy!"

"No more rhymes, now I mean it.
Anybody want a peanut?"

My family can quote for hours on end. And some of the voices are pretty close to the movie too.
Old 09-11-2000, 02:13 AM   #5
Film Hobbit

I've been looking for this too Iron Parrot, let me know if you find it. This is one of my all time favs.
Old 09-11-2000, 07:35 PM   #6
Elbreth of Carhouth

Did you guys notice that the names of the countries are actually the names of Dutch currency? I found that amusing.
Old 09-11-2000, 11:28 PM   #7
bmilder

You're joking right? My mom loves this book, and she told me that there is no original, that was just a joke.
Old 09-12-2000, 02:52 AM   #8
IronParrot

That's what I used to think.

Slowly, over time, the people who believed it convinced me otherwise.

Also because until you just came along nobody ever agreed with me on this...
Old 09-12-2000, 06:23 PM   #9
Film Hobbit

Well I have seen a book, it was in my Library when I was in Junior High like 11 years ago. The question is which came first the book or the movie? I never got to read that book so I don't know and I haven't seen it since.
Old 09-14-2000, 03:30 AM   #10
IronParrot

The movie was constructed based on William Goldman's novel, which makes reference to a supposed earlier version from around World War I written by a certain S. Morgenstern, the existence of which is not to my knowledge...
Old 09-24-2000, 08:18 PM   #11
Gilthalion

What a great little movie!

The duel between Wesley and Montoya is one of the best coreographed sword fights I've ever seen!
Old 09-25-2000, 05:22 PM   #12
Miralys

I loved this movie!! The humor and sometimes dry wit is just wonderful. I dunno about the frame story part of the movie though. I got rather tired of seeing Fred Savage's character interrupt all the time with some twitty remark. I understand why the film was made this way, and I suppose it was a good way to work in a narrator, but I would have enjoyed the movie more without the frame story. Any thoughts on this?
Old 09-25-2000, 09:04 PM   #13
Gilthalion

I enjoyed seeing Peter Falk shut the brat up!
Old 09-29-2000, 03:19 AM   #14
IronParrot

Okay. I'll admit it. I was fooled and fooled good. I don't think I've ever fallen for anything as gullibly in my entire life. (Except for the fact that for about an hour or two after watching Almost Famous, I was convinced Stillwater was real and wondered why I'd never heard of them.)

The thing is, one knows that it's Goldman's style of writing, but he does the Morgenstern thing so convincingly that I was really fooled...
Old 09-30-2000, 01:07 AM   #15
SarahStar

If you haven't read the book, get it. It's hilarious. It is, of course, better than the movie.

Or maybe not. The book is remarkable similar to the movie. In fact, the movie of The Princess Bride is the most faithful adaptation of a fantasy (or otherwise) novel that I can think of. I can't imagine a better movie adaptation of the book. (And I am notoriously picky about such things.)

Somehow that's immensely reassuring.

Wouldn't it be amazingly fun if the Morgenstern version actually existed? I, for one, would love to hear about the Princess Noreena's hats. :lol:
Old 09-30-2000, 01:56 AM   #16
GlaurungTheGold

Princess Noreena's hats? I have no clue what you'r talking about and now I'll have to buy the book to find out
Old 09-30-2000, 08:53 PM   #17
SarahStar

Gotcha! :lol:

(You won't regret it! It's completely worth reading, and it really does restore one's faith in the posibilty of a faithful movie adaptation of a fantasy novel.)
Old 10-04-2000, 08:12 PM   #18
X Rogue

Loved the movie and the book-I think this was the first time I liked both. Hysterical.
"Go away or I'll call the Brute Squad!" -Miracle Max
"I'm *on* the Brute Squad." -Fezzik
"You ARE the Brute Squad!!" -Miracle Max
Old 10-12-2000, 09:59 PM   #19
Elanor

This is such a silly story! I liked both the book and the movie, and I was NEVER fooled by the Morgenstern thingy...I guess I've read enough abridgements to know that an abridger would never go off on his personal life like Goldman supposedly does. (is it even his personal life, or just made up?)

For those of you who have seen the movie but haven't read the book, I'm not going to spoil anything for you, but I'll tell you my opinion. They are quite different in some ways, but both wonderful: the movie has action, great visual appeal, and a lot more clarity in the storyline. The book has a lot more detail (it tells the background stories of Inigo and Fezzik, spends an inordinate amount of time describing the snow sand experience, and instead of the Pit of Despair there is the Zoo of Death, with lots of strange animals that Inigo and Fezzik have to defeat). In the movie my favorite characters were Buttercup, Inigo, and Max, while in the book my faves were Inigo, Yeste (Domingo Montoya's strange friend), and Fezzik. I liked all of Fezzik's rhyming. Funny how the movie smartened Buttercup up, isn't it?
Old 11-25-2000, 12:05 AM   #20
Russa Nodrey

Have you people seen the movie? It's good, but it skips alot of the beginning.