Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-10-2001, 01:21 PM   #1
webwizard333

His Dark Materials

amy1 hear who read that trilogy yet?? i thought i was very good, but no1s been taking 2 much notice of it yet....(bet its because some people think that its some sort of antigod piece when its really a good piece of fiction)
Old 06-10-2001, 07:31 PM   #2
Earendilyon

Re: His Dark Materials

Never heard of Who's the author?
Old 06-11-2001, 09:11 PM   #3
webwizard333

philip pullman

the books are (in order 2 be read): The Golden
Compass, The Subtle Knife, and finally The Amber Spyglass

try them, maybe you'll like them (as long as u look at them as fantasy and not religion)

visit my latest website www.expage.com/webwizard4444 (i just started it)
Old 06-15-2001, 02:20 PM   #4
GlaurungTheGold

it's very good, i've been reading it since someone gave me the first book as a present... i think the second one was about to come out at that point, and a few months ago i saw at barnes and noble that the last book had come out... it's sort of a mix between fantsy, science fiction, and philosophy i think, and nicely written with some surprising plot twists and good characterization. and the books aren't that long, so i suggest you go get them
Old 06-17-2001, 10:04 AM   #5
Idril Celebrindal

the... GOLDEN COMPASS? since when has one of the book of His Dark Materials been called the golden compass? oh... American, right? Over here it's called Northern Lights
Old 06-17-2001, 12:46 PM   #6
webwizard333

You're right, I'm American. I wonder how many other differences there are between the books. Ironically, this is like the Harry Potter books too. Both had their first book titles changed for America.
Old 06-17-2001, 03:25 PM   #7
Idril Celebrindal

I kinda get the change with HP, as America doesn't have the same history of Alchemy, but surely u guys could be expected to know what the Northern Lights are?
Old 06-18-2001, 12:28 PM   #8
webwizard333

Of course we know what the the Northern Lights are. It's just that Philip Pullman after careful consideration changed his ming to have a sort of flow with the titles (each one being a different Dark Material) or that the editors and censors over here have gotten worst. Thinking that people here will take the title to mean something educational. I think the more realistic one is the latter, though I hope for the former. ;^)
Old 06-18-2001, 04:47 PM   #9
Idril Celebrindal

I'd agree with that...
apparently there were quite a few changes in the American edition... did u get the quotes at the beginning of each chapter in the Amber Spyglass? I seem to remember hearing that they were removed...
Old 06-20-2001, 03:56 PM   #10
webwizard333

We got the quotes all right. Did you hear of any other changes (i hate editors)?
Old 07-07-2001, 11:09 AM   #11
Idril Celebrindal

there was something else, but I cannot remember what... I'll go see if I can track down the board I was talking about this before on...
Old 05-06-2004, 12:44 PM   #12
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I read them and enjoyed them, but I never realized that I wasn't reading the original version. I hope it wasn't changed just because we're American", like the Harry Potter books were. Americans aren't idiots, and we know that we're not the only people in the world.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:41 PM   #13
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

It was changed because the publishers thought "Golden Compass" fitted better (for some reason). I think there's some other Pullman-thread around somewhere...
Old 05-11-2004, 09:56 AM   #14
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

That's a bit of a spooky coincidence that this thread got bumped as I've just started reading them. Seems like really groovy stuff. What do other people think of them (please no spoilers as I'm only 2/3 through the first book as yet)?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:23 AM   #15
Falagar

It's very good! Though there are a few...weird things (no details) towards the end of the last book, but it's really worth a read or two...or three.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:46 PM   #16
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I liked it but there were a few seemingly loose ends that bugged me after I read it. But I loved the idea of dæmons and the armoured bears.

I've heard there's a sequel: 'Lyra's Oxford'. Anybody knows something about that?
Old 05-11-2004, 03:50 PM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

The first book is great, the second book is good, the third book is so-so.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:06 PM   #18
Falagar

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I liked it but there were a few seemingly loose ends that bugged me after I read it. But I loved the idea of dæmons and the armoured bears.

I've heard there's a sequel: 'Lyra's Oxford'. Anybody knows something about that?
'Tis nice, but pretty short (and the price was perhaps a bit stiff). It also contains some hints to what may come in future books, but I never bothered to read much of those.

And whatever you can say about the third book in HDM, the ending was brilliant.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:47 PM   #19
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
'Tis nice, but pretty short (and the price was perhaps a bit stiff). It also contains some hints to what may come in future books, but I never bothered to read much of those.

And whatever you can say about the third book in HDM, the ending was brilliant.
Yeah, the price is steep. It costs £9.99 in England (or at least it did when I bought it) and it's not even that long. It took me around 30-40 minutes to read it. But it's good. Not as good as the trilogy (of course ), but it does give some big hints about the future.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:23 PM   #20
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

10 pounds and only 40 minute read? So not worth it then IMO.