Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Of all the fonts...

This may perhaps bore some people, but do any of you have a favorite font? For some reason even a book's font can give me a hint at its atmosphere and style; I can tell whether the book is old or new, whether it is intended for scholars or dreamers, for study or leisure.

I, for example, am drawn to old typewriter fonts. Newton's Principia was first published in a slightly beaten, but scholarly typewriter font (by the way, does anyone know where I can find this font online?).

Anyone?
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by EllethValatari : 05-21-2010 at 09:09 PM.
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Good God, aren't you in high school? What are you doing reading Newton's Principia, and referring to it by the Latin title?

All printing back tended to be in slightly uneven, creating what you are referring to as a "typewriter" effect. If you look at a facsimile (or, if you're lucky, an original! ) of a book printed from anytime, pretty much, until around the end of the nineteenth century, it's always a bit "beaten."

I'm sure you can find plenty of fonts that stylistically appropriate that effect on line, but of course it will only ever be an imitation, since the original would have been due to defects in the type of the printer, which (presumably) are no longer in operation.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Good God, aren't you in high school? What are you doing reading Newton's Principia, and referring to it by the Latin title?
Actually, no, I'm in 8th grade. Today was my final day of school! I go to a classical school, and our science text this year was Newton's Principia, along with your average Physics textbook. As for the Latin reference, I have taken Latin for 8 years, and I was actually introduced to Newton's work by its Latin name.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by EllethValatari : 05-21-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
katya
Elven Maiden

I'm a little bit jealous of that. That sounds neat. You really don't seem like an 8th grader, and I know how 8th graders are.

I don't really have a favorite font, but when I was younger I liked Papyrus like everyone else. Now every time I see it used, I think, "Papyrus? Really?"

Last edited by katya : 05-21-2010 at 09:30 PM.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
I'm a little bit jealous of that. That sounds neat. You really don't seem like an 8th grader, and I know how 8th graders are.
Yes, I guess that I'm supposed to be a stuck-up teenage know-it-all because I would be at the top of my middle-school food chain, but "all I know," as Socrates says, "it is that I know nothing."

That's not to say I don't love shopping as every other teenage girl does, I'd just rather shop for books!
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
Actually, no, I'm in 8th grade. Today was my final day of school! I go to a classical school, and our science text this year was Newton's Principia, along with your average Physics textbook. As for the Latin reference, I have taken Latin for 8 years, and I was actually introduced to Newton's work by its Latin name.
Vere? Ammiror scholas illas; collegium meum erat classicum, sed praeter nullam educationem classicam habebam.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Vere? Ammiror scholas illas; collegium meum erat classicum, sed praeter nullam educationem classicam habebam.
Yes, really! So you went to a classical college but not a classical grade/high school?
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by EllethValatari : 05-21-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:47 AM   #8
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
This may perhaps bore some people, but do any of you have a favorite font? For some reason even a book's font can give me a hint at its atmosphere and style; I can tell whether the book is old or new, whether it is intended for scholars or dreamers, for study or leisure.
This has a lot to do with the design of a book, although I imagine it might be less so in truly antique books. I don't know that for a fact. I have an art friend who is a web site designer, and if you want to talk to someone who knows how to use fonts just ask her about them . She's wonderful, and always uses fonts to great advantage in her design work, which I believe is something a lot of people overlook.

I also love old TW fonts. Other than those I am typically not too picky, or crazy about most fonts. Typically any 'special' fonts tend to get overdone. I DO love calligraphers though. My mom used to be one, but unfortunately she had some health problems in her 30's that made her hands sort of stiff, so she doesn't write much by hand now. I love calligraphy because it has that 'mechanical' precision to it, but really good calligraphers put a little something into each letter that if you look closely enough at it you can just tell that it's barely different from any of the others.

Quote:
That's not to say I don't love shopping as every other teenage girl does, I'd just rather shop for books!
You and my second oldest sister would've gotten along really well back when she was your age . She was just like that.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:55 AM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Gil sans, and helvetica.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:52 AM   #10
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Palatino and Tahoma.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Mari
Elf Lady

Verdana. Boring, but I can distinguish the i and the l at least.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #12
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Yes, I guess that I'm supposed to be a stuck-up teenage know-it-all because I would be at the top of my middle-school food chain, but "all I know," as Socrates says, "it is that I know nothing."

I haven't read enough of your posts to tell what your personality is like, so I was referring more to your typing skills. You know, spelling, grammar, punctuation, your vocabulary. And the fact that you actually care about intellectual questions. I work in middle and high schools, and people care even less about learning than they did when I was in school, seems like (though most mooters are exceptions to that).

For books and things with paragraphs or text rather than just a title, simple fonts are best. They should be easy to read and not distracting.

My least favorite fonts are ones that try to look like Chinese writing or ones that try to look like cyrillic. The "oriental" ones because they look cheesy and lack the elegance of real Chinese writing, and the cyrillic ones because the letters are all wrong. Like backwards "R" is "ya" not "r". But I suppose Russian people do the same thing with the roman alphabet. I've heard, anyway, that on devices that don't input cyrillic, there's a system of using roman letters to look like cyrillic.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Pure aesthetically, I quite like bard which is nice as a more decorational script, but not one I would want to read whole books in. For reading I prefer trustworthy ol' arial. Calligrapher is also nice, pretty and readable and it reminds me of all those lovely medieval illustrated books.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Helvetica it is, "for its beauty and ubiquity".
There even was a documentary on Helvetica a few years ago.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Typically any 'special' fonts tend to get overdone.
Ain't that the truth. I used to like them, when I was younger. Now I just cringe, and blush.

Palatino and Helvetica are nice. I don't really think about it much, though, 'cause all my papers are TNR.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #16
katya
Elven Maiden

Comic Sans is pretty horrible. Same here with my papers being usually TNR. The only time recently I've had to chose a font for something fancy was for a store logo in Second Life. We chose some random thing from the internet somewhere. Anything that you can recognize, unless it's something simple like Arial, is not good. Like Papyrus.

I write novels and stories in a monospace font in the simplest text editor I have.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
Comic Sans is pretty horrible. Same here with my papers being usually TNR. The only time recently I've had to chose a font for something fancy was for a store logo in Second Life. We chose some random thing from the internet somewhere. Anything that you can recognize, unless it's something simple like Arial, is not good. Like Papyrus.

I write novels and stories in a monospace font in the simplest text editor I have.
Yes, Comic Sans is horrible! When I was little, I was obcessed with Curlz MT. What a princess I wanted to be!

Same for me, TNR for papers. I don't have many chances to look through fonts, I just started thinking about them when I was reading my Principia.
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by EllethValatari : 08-06-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #18
Mari
Elf Lady

We are required to write our papers in Verdana. It used to be TNR, but the schools gradually switched.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #19
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Every single time I see the title of this thread the only thing I can think of is Casa Blanca.

Every. Single. Time. >.<
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #20
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Every single time I see the title of this thread the only thing I can think of is Casa Blanca.

Every. Single. Time. >.<
What?
— J.R.R. Tolkien