Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

The Last Spartan

He ran. Everything depended on his speed. His brothers were behind him, he could hear the clash of their swords against those of the raiders and the screams of the wounded. How some of them broke through their defenses, he'd never know. His heart raced. He would never forgive himself if something happened to his family. It was for them he had left the Spartans, the group of elite warriors that protected Aluten. Wood smoked reached his nostrals. The screams of his children and wife reached his ears
No! Oh, God! No! His house was burning. A Spartan that had reached the house before him lay face down, blood staining the ground around him. He cut down three of the raiders before they knew he was there.
"Hannah!?" he screamed.
"Papa!" one of his daughters screamed.
"Run!" A knife found the neck of one of the raiders. His eldest daughter was reveiled when the man fell. "Mary! Gather your sisters, brother and mother and make for the town. Go! As fast as your feet will carry you!"
"Yes, father," He felt a sword bit into his side, causing him to cry out in pain. He spun and killed the offender, along with one who was aiming for his neck. There were too many. Never surrender. He would never make it out of this fight without spilling most of his blood. As he turned, he saw the sight that turned his blood cold. His youngest daughter was covered in blood and lying lifeless on the ground. His wife screamed. They wouldn't make it out of there.
"Run!" Hannah screamed to her surviving daughters. "Run!" As he watched, Mary was cut down as she ran. More pain as he received more wounds. His third daughter fell. Hannah clutched the baby, their only son, to her chest. His head was swiming. He was loosing too much blood. Hannah fell, the baby screaming. He became blood-drunk, hacking and slashing. His family! His life! His fell. The raiders began to leave as he dragged himself toward his wife. His viion was becoming blurry. He put a hand on Hannah's lifless body and let the darkness take him.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Acalewia

Rachel sighed as she passed under the eaves of the forest. How many times had that goat escaped now? She couldn't understand why she always ran into the woods. Stupid goat. Rachel wondered how much meat was actually on that goat. For sixteen years, the people of Aluten feared these woods. The rumors of the old gossips claimed it was haunted, that the ghost of a vengeful Spartan lived there and he would kill anyone that passed into his territory. This Rachel knew to be false. As a child, she had gone many times into the woods to escape her father when he was in his drunken rages. There was no ghost, no Spartan. Nothing lived in these woods, save the trees and the undergrowth. Now as a grown woman with a family of her own, she still was the only one to venture into the woods. Rachel smiled to herself. One old gossip went as far as to say the Ghost spared her because she was an innocent soul and he didn't want to taint himself with an innocent's death.

Rachel heard the goat nearby and rounding a tree found the elusive animal.
"There you are," She grabbed the rope that hung from her neck. It was growing dark, causing her not to be able to see too clearly the end in her hand. "Let's get you back home," As she began to walk off, she heard a sound the gave her goosebumps: steel leaving a sheath. Rachel turned, her heart in her throat. Sure enough, a figure was standing behind her with a drawn sword. She gasped and backed away, meeting a tree in a few steps. She stood there wide-eyed as the figure remained motionless. In the twilight, she couldn't see his face. After a few minutes, the figure sheathed his sword.
"You have enough to fear without fearing me," he said in a gruff voice. Rachel blinked.
"What have I to fear, then?"
"The raiders that still attack Aluten," He turned away from her then. "Go back home. And don't set foot in these woods this late again. There are more dangerous things than me here," He walked away and seemed to ignore her after that. Tugging on the goat's rope, Rachel turned to leave. She hesitated a moment and looked over her shoulder. She could still see his shape crouched down. Who was this man? she wondered before leaving as he commanded.

Marit and Tyler both ran out to meet Rachel as she returned.
"Mother!" her daughter cried. "I was afraid you wouldn't find her. Tyler said you wouldn't come back. He's been listening to the gossips again,"
"Have not!" Rachel stopped them before they started bickering again.
"Act your age," she said. Marit was ten, her brother had just turned eight. The two loved to bicker, although now it was Tyler that usually started them now. Rachel made sure the gate of the pen was shut and locked before turning from the renegade goat.
"'Tis late. You two need to go to bed," Her children grumbled, but obeyed. Rachel caught herself glancing at the woods before shutting the door.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
Acalewia

Rachel was had just bought some vegatables that she couldn't grow on her own when she heard her name called.
"Rachel!" She smiled. She knew that voice, she had heard everyday for most of her life.
"Leif!" The two embraced. "How have you been?"
"Life is wonderful, little sister,"
"That goat you gave me isn't," Lief laughed.
"Now what has the poor goat done to you?"
"She keeps running of. Seems to like the forest. Next time she runs in there I'm going to leave her," At the mention of the forest, Lief's smile faded. Like her, he would flee into the forest during their father's drunken rages. But, unlike her, he had stopped going into the forest. He never did explain why.
"Next time you're here, bring her and I'll give you another one,"
"That won't run away?"
"That won't run away. Promise,"
"I'll hold you to it," she smiled. Lief frowned and looked over Rachel's head. Turning she saw why he had frowned. Hector, the govenor of Aluten, was strutting by.
"Rooster," Lief muttered. Rachel snickered. No one liked Hector, for several reasons. The main reason was instead of mourning the Spartians that had been massacared by the Raiders and offering help to the ones that had survived by pure mircale, he had strutted around trying to convince people that the raid was proof they didn't need them, they couldn't protect them. Hector rose to power, but many including Rachel and Lief, didn't give him the respect he demanded.

Suddenly, the warning bell began ringing. Rachel paled. People began running and the sounds of panic began.
"Where are they?"
"No!" She whispered. Rachel darted off, dropping the basket she was holding.
"Rachel!" Lief sighed seeing his sister's intention and ran the other way. Hector grabbed her arm.
"What are you doing!?"
"I'm going after my children!"
"You can't! Leave them and get to safety!" She looked at him in horror.
"Screw you!" She pulled her arm free and ran toward her house, knowing Hector wouldn't follow, coward he was.

Alex heard the bell and cursed. Some of the raiders had slipped past him. Growling under his breath, he ran toward the edge of the forest. He caught sight of several heading to the house the woman he had seen lived in. He frowned. The girl ran from the house holding her youngest brother with the older brother clutching her skirt. Where was their mother? He broke cover and darted toward the house. He wasn't going to let them slaughter another family.

"Marit! Tyler! Japles!" Rachel screamed as she reached the house.
"Mother! Mother!"
"Run! Take your brothers and go to the town!" Marit ran toward her holding Japles with Tyler holding her skirt for dear life. "Come on!" A raider ran into their path. Marit screamed, clutching her brother. Tyler let go of Marit's skirt and dodged past him. The raider grabbed for him, but the boy was too fast. Rachel and Marit backed away until their backs were to the house. Rachel pushed her children behind her.
"Oh, God," she whispered.

Last edited by Acalewia : 05-16-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
Acalewia

They were both frozen with fear. Japles could sense their fear and started crying. The raider grinned and raised his sword. Rachel was glad Marit was holding Japles. At least, she wouldn't die holding her son.

The blow never came. The raider stopped, shock suddenly showing on his face. Then the tip of a sword appeared in his chest, explaining why the raider had stopped his attack. The sword withdrew and the raider fell, revealing their savior. It was a man with dark hair, white showing on the edges of his hair. His eyes were a piercing blue with lines around them. Looking at him, she knew he had seen much, but she had never seen the man before.
"Run," he said in a baratone voice. Rachel's eyes widened. It was the man from the forest; she would remember that voice until the end of her days. He turned and cut down the raider that had run toward him intent on cutting him down.
"Go! Now!" He continued fighting with a talent she had never seen.
"Do as he says! Go!" Marit unfroze and ran, trying to dodge raiders as they realized a stranger was among them. The man gave a cry of pain. Turning she saw him gut the man behind him. When he turned, she saw the line of crimson on his back. Rachel froze again. They would kill him and there was nothing she could do. She abandoned that train of thought when she saw how skilled he was with his sword. Rachel was about to turn and follow her daughter when she saw the raider cut into the stranger's sword arm. He cried out and took a few steps back, glaring at the man. Then he did something she had never seen anyone do. He swiched hands! The raider blinked with surprise before he was cut down. Realizing she could be picked off while watching him, Rachel pressed herself to the wall of the house. The man was just as deadly with his left as he was his right. Her heart began to pound when the horse man rode near him. A horn sounded the retreat and the surviving raiders fled. The horseman said something the the stranger, then turned his horse and rode away.

"Rachel!" She started when the hand touched her shoulder. It was only Lief, a sword in his hand. Her eyes went to the sword.
"I missed the fun," he said. "Who's that?" Rachel looked back at the man from the forest. He was still standing in the same spot, his right arm held close to his body. She approached him and stopped out of reach of his sword.
"Let me tend your wounds," she said. He turned and faced her for the first time since saving her and her children.
"I cannot," he said.
"It is the least I can do," By his voice, Rachel knew he was in pain. "You'll bleed to death standing there," His sleeve was soaked with his blood. After a few moments, he nodded. and staggered toward her. He dropped his sword and fell to his knees.
"Lief! Help me carry him to the house," Lief did as he was told and together carried him to the bed in the back room. The man did not protest to Rachel's relief.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Acalewia

Lief wasn't too happy about having this man in his sister's house. After laying him on the cot, he remained where he was.
"Either do something or get out of the way and let me work," Rachel said. Lief backed away from the cot, making sure he was out of Rachel's way. As she tugged his shirt off, Lief's eyebrows rose. It was a miracle the man still lived judging by the collection of scars he'd gathered. Most looked old.
"Can you sit up," The man grunted as he sat up. "Hold still,"
"I'll try. No promises," He hissed as Rachel applied a healing salve made of herbs to the wound on his back.
"Lief," He went over to Rachel as she started to bandage the wound.
"He has another on his side,"
"I see it," Rachel repeated the process on the second wound and together they finished bandaging the man. She then proceeded to his arm. "Give me the basin and the towels," Lief complied. As Rachel cleaned his arm, she saw the wound was deeper than she expected.
"I'll need some more bandages and a sling," The man frowned. "You'll not be able to use that arm until it fully heals. If not, you might not be able to use it like you used to," The man nodded.
"Very well," As Lief went to retrieve the extra bandages, she noticed a strange scar on his right arm: a circle with, what looked like to her, two swords crossing each other. She said nothing about it to him, but instead asked another question.
"Why did you risk your life to save us?" The man remained silent for a few minutes.
"I can't stand aside and watch another family slaughtered by these Raiders," he said. "They have taken enough lives," Lief returned before she could say anything else.
"Do you need any help?"
"No. Where are the children?"
"In the kitchen. Marit is making Tyler something to keep his mind off the dead men in the front yard. Doing a very good job at keeping him away from the windows,"
"Good," As Rachel adjusted the man's sling, he broke his silence once more.
"I'm sorry your daughter had to see that,"
"What?" She was surprised to hear him speak.
"I'm sorry she had to see me kill the Raider,"
"She's seen dead men before. She helps me sometimes," He settled back onto the cot.
"Thank you, Healer," Lief enter the room.
"We have some chickens in the yard," They heard a few horses snorting.
"Who invited the peacock?" The man muttered. Rachel bit her lip, trying not to smile. He was familiar with Hector.
"I'll be right back," Lief disappeared again and Rachel stood to follow. She didn't reach the door before Hector appeared in it. The man's hand reached over and rested on his right arm.
"Thank, God, you're safe. I was sure you were going to be killed when you ran toward the Raiders instead of to safety!"
"No help to you," she said, dryly. "If I remember correctly, you wanted me to abandon my children,"
"I'm sorry. Fear got the best of me, I'm afraid,"
"Of, course," Hector spotted the man.
"And who is this?"
"A better man than you," Hector approached the stranger. Rachel glanced at him and saw his eyes were closed.
"You have taken many wounds to save our Healer,"
"Hector,"
"Please, do tell me your name. You will be honored,"
"Hector, let him rest,"
"I care nothing for honor," the man whispered. "At least none you can offer," Rachel bit her lip again. She then realized he didn't want Hector to hear his voice in full. She took Hector's arm.
"He is weary, in case you haven't noticed. Save your questions and your honor for some other time," She started to pull him away from the man on the cot. Hector chuckled.
"I hope I'll be seeing more of you, good Sir,"
"Hector, get out,"
"Alright, alright! I'll see you in town?"
"Don't make me repeat myself," Hector took Rachel's hand and kissed it before leaving the room. After he left, she made a disgusted sound and wiped her hand in the apron she wore. She turned back to the man to find his eyes open.
"Thanks for the bluff," She nodded and watched for a sign from Lief that Hector was gone.
"The peacock's gone," She turned to him as he removed his hand from his arm. She realized that he had been hiding the scar with his hand. "Get some sleep. If you need me, I'll most likely be in the kitchen," She started to leave when he spoke again.
"Alex," She stopped.
"What?" Then she realized it was his name. She smiled. "Rachel,"
"We're no so much of strangers, now,"

Last edited by Acalewia : 05-30-2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Acalewia

Hector let Rachel run him out of her house. He wouldn't admit it aloud, but he had a liking toward her. He let her get away with calling him various names she didn't know he heard. But right now, his mind really wasn't on Rachel. Something about the mysterious man in her back bedroom was awfully familiar. What it was, he couldn't quite put a finger on. As they rode back toward town one of his guards, a gruff and impatient man, joined him and the other two. Hector always sent this one on missions in his name.
"Orthil,"
"Yes?"
"I want you to find out who that man is, if you can," Orthil snorted. "Report to me in three days,"
"Yes, sir," Orthil spun his horse around and galloped in the opposite direction. Three days was all he needed.

Marit stood in the corner of Alex's room. Her mother was in the kitchen with her uncle talking. Tyler and Japles were upstairs asleep, like she was supposed to be. She crept a little closer to the man that had saved their lives, trying to see the strange scar on his arm.
"Marit!" Her mother whispered, causing her to jump. "Leave him alone and let him rest,"
"She's not bothering me, ma'am," Alex's eyes were still closed. "She's just curious," He opened an eye and looked at Marit. "Of course, she should be in bed," Rachel held her hand out.
"You heard him, Marit. Let's go,"
"Maybe, I'll get to talk to you in the morning?"
"Maybe. Now you get some sleep, little one," Marit nodded, letting out a big yawn as she did so.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
Acalewia

Alex felt something on his right arm. His every sense became very aware. Swift hands were tying something around his arm. With a sudden lunge, he grabbed for the owner of the hands' neck. His fingers closed around... nothing. Alex looked around and was surprised to see Rachel standing a few feet away. He couldn't read her face and her eyes didn't betray her thoughts. He looked down at his arm and saw an untied bandage there. He realized it had been Rachel and froze. He would have snapped her neck had she not moved so quickly.
"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I..."
"I expected you to do that," she said, her voice being the one to betray the fear she had felt.
"I could have," he stopped. "You're quick on your feet,"
"I'm a mother," she said, coming closer. "And the town Healer. Being quick on my feet is a necessity," Rachel reached for the unfinished bandage.
"What are you doing?"
"You were trying so hard to hide this," she indicated the scar. "From Hector. I thought I'd help you hide better. With the wounds you already bear, no one will know the better," She smiled. "Save the two of us,"
"Next time you decide to do something like that, wait 'til I'm fully awake. I'm a man with many enemies and a light sleeper. You may not be so lucky next time," Rachel finished the bandage.
"First you tell me I have nothing to fear from you. Then you tell me I should fear you. When you make up your mind. Do let me know," She left the room. Alex sighed and stared up at the ceiling. He could not afford the luxury of friends. When he was recovered enough to walk, he would leave her and her children and return to the forest. Night would be best. He wouldn't have to say goodbye. The girl, Marit, was attaching herself to him. It would be best for her if he left in the night. A clean break always healed the quickest. Rachel and the children were safer without him in their house.

Orthil watched from the shadows. Not a soul moved in the house. A more foolish man would approach the house and try to gather anything her could from the sleep-mutters he know some people did. But he was no fool. The man that slept in the back room was dangerous. Who he was, he meant to find out; those were his orders. Orthil knew one does not go into the cave of a wounded lion. He would have to wait, but his lord was not a patient man. He would have to rely on treachery and lies to gather his information. Orthil smiled. A plan was forming in his mind.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
Acalewia

A few nights later...

Alex had waited until Rachel had gone to bed before rising. He had everything planned. He would leave under the cover of night and return to the Forest. Who knew how many Raiders had slipped into Aluten while he was here. He looked around. He had nothing to take but his sword. He stole out of the room and went to the door. Alex looked around again. No one was there to see him slip out. No one would know the better. Save Rachel. Because she didn't fear the wood, she would come to him. He closed the door behind him. He froze when he heard the sound of a footfall on the dirt. His senses became fully alert. Someone was out there. Alex took refuge in the shadow of the house and watched. He cursed the moonlight; it would betray his sword. He heard it again. He doubled around to the corner of the house that led to the back. There, a shadow was trying to peek into the windows. Before the shadow knew it, Alex was on top of him. They scuffled before Alex slammed him against the wall and shoved his arm against his throat. A beam of silver was on the intruder's face. The man glared at him.
"You got lucky," he growled.
"Give me a good reason I don't kill you now," Alex growled back. The man scoffed.
"I really don't think you want to damage the children more by leaving a body here for one of them to find," Alex pushed his arm closer into the man's throat.
"You leave them out of this!" The man grunted. Alex heard a door open and he swore under his breath. Rachel appeared around the corner. In the moonlight, he saw her eyes widened.
"What is going on,"
"You're the lucky one," he growled. "You leave this place and never come back. If I see your face anywhere near here again, I will not hesitate to kill you," He backed away, releasing the man. He gasped for breath leaning against the wall. He looked at Alex then Rachel before bolting away. After he was out of earshot, Alex turned and started to walk away. Rachel walked next to him.
"What..."
"He was trying to find a way into the house," he answered the unasked question. She stopped, although he continued to walk.
"Where do you think you're going,"
"Back where I belong. You're safer if I wasn't in your house,"
"We're safer with you here! Who knows what that man would have done had he made it into the house!" Alex turned back to Rachel.
"The longer you're connected to me, the more danger you and the children will be in. I can't protect you that close,"
"Alex! We need you! Who knows if you'll be able to reach us in time again if we're attacked again!" Alex could see the tears in her eyes. "They're all I have left!" A tear traveled down her cheek. "I can't protect them with my husband gone!"
"When your husband returns, you'll not need me," He started to turn when he caught the anguish in her face.
"He won't return, Alex!" She pointed. "My husband fell protecting us! My son fell protecting us!" The tears covered her cheeks. "I've had to be strong for so long! I hate Hector for not supporting the Spartans! They could have been regrouped! Only one of the original Spartans was whole enough to train new ones. Hector ran him off! If the Spartans..." She didn't finish her sentence before the sobs took over. Alex took her in his arms and her body shook. It was sometime before the sobs subsided.
"I'll stay," Alex whispered. "I'll stay,"

Orthil's horse galloped at full speed toward town and Hector's house. He was sure a bruise would form on his throat from the pressure of the man's arm. He had taken the chance on a hunch. That hunch was all he needed to find out who the man was. He didn't think Hector would like the news he was coming back with.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
Acalewia

Hector turned to Orthil.
"Are you serious?" he asked. "How sure are you?"
"I'm not 100%, but I am pretty sure. He was on me before I knew he was there," Hector turned back to the window.
"Did he have the Mark?" Orthil hesitated a moment before answering.
"I didn't see one. It was dark and he had his arm against my throat," Hector sighed.
"Anything else I need to know?"
"Not at the moment. Would you like me to discover his name, Sir?" Hector was silent for a moment before shaking his head.
"In due time we'll discover it," He turned back to Orthil. "Right now, I want you and a couple of your best men to keep watch on Shahra's place. If he is who I think he is, it's a matter of time before he pays her a visit,"

Old 07-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #10
Acalewia

Alex stretched his right arm. It had been weeks since his injury and under the watchful and caring eye of Rachel, had been finally released from it's prison. He watched her as she prepared to leave, but notice she wasn't just going out to the garden.
"You're going to town," Rachel noticed it was a statement and not a question.
"I have to," she said as she picked up Japles from the nearby crib. "I need herbs from Shahra," Alex looked up.
"Shahra?" This time it was a question.
"She's the Herbalist, Alex. She's not going to try to kill me,"
"Oh, no. I didn't mean it like that. The name sounded somewhat familiar," Rachel wanted to ask, but knew he would find some way to dodge the question. In the time he'd been with her family, she didn't know anymore about Alex then she did when they met. She turned from the mysterious warrior.
"Marit! Tyler! You want to see Uncle Lief?" A couple of yeses were followed by an excited shout and two sets of running feet. Rachel smiled. "Would you like to come with us?" she asked Alex. She started to turn to the door, expecting him to say no.
"Yes, I'll come," Rachel turned back to him.
"I don't think..."
"Relax, Rachel. I know there's nothing you need to be protected from in town. Save Hector," Rachel laughed.
"You have a point,"

After leaving the children with Lief, Rachel made her way to Shahra's cottage. The two story home was in the middle of town. Shahra's husband, a trader who traveled to the other towns of Aluten, had built it when they had married. As Rachel approached the house, the door opened and Shahra came out and greeted her.
"Rachel! How are you? I haven't seen you since the last group of raiders attacked. I heard your house was attacked. Are the kids alright?"
"Yes, they're fine. Thanks to a man that came to our rescue," She smiled. "I'm in need of some more herbs,"
"Of, course," Shahra said. "Come in and tell me of this man," Inside, the cottage was warm. It just made you feel at home. Rachel sat at the table as Shahra made tea.
"Hector has been talking about how brave and crazy you are, running to save your children,"
"The rooster wanted me to abandon them," Shahra set a cup of tea down.
"We all know he's an idiot," She sat next to Rachel. "Now, tell me about this mystery man,"
"There's not much to tell. He keeps to himself and he doesn't seem to care about his life judging by the amount of scars he has. There is one scar that I really don't think was made by a sword," Shahra was suddenly very interested.
"What does it look like?"
"A circle with, what looks like to me a pair of crossed swords," Shahra lost all expression.
"Are you sure they look like swords?"
"Yes. Are you OK, Shahra?"
"He has the Shield and Swords. Don't you realize what he is?" Rachel gave Shahra a blank look.
"The Shield and Swords?" She shook her head. "It's impossible. He can't be..." She trailed off. "That would explain a lot of things,"
"Tell me one more thing, Rachel. What is his name?"
"Alex,"