Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-15-2007, 03:50 AM   #1
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Relaxation

How do you guys relax, stay calm, and generally just get into 'the zone'?

This thread is partially in honor of the Happy Thread finally making it to incarnation #3 .

I realized how tightly wound up I tend to be when I started doing some relaxation type things a month or two ago. At first I was absolutely horrific and had to fight major giggle-urges in the middle of trying to relax because I felt so awkward... but I've been getting better, and I overall feel much more centered because of it.

Some things I've been doing are yoga, meditating (I found some meditation podcasts that I want to give a try), creative writing, improvising on the piano, and some deep breathing exercises.

I think I enjoy the yoga and deep breathing most, since they go together so well. I always end feeling like I've just finished singing an -amazing- song, and want to keep singing. I know, it's weird, but that's the only way I can describe the situation.

So what do you guys do to relax?

Last edited by Tessar : 12-15-2007 at 03:52 AM.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:39 AM   #2
Mari
Elf Lady

Depending on the situation I guess. If it's urgent that I calm down or when I'm in public I close my eyes and breath deeply and slowly in and out a few times while either trying to think of nothing at all or thinking of something that can bring a smile to my face.
When I have time I usually sit down and either watch a movie or sing. But if I really need to relax I usually want to sing full out, which is impossible in my room because of the neighbours and very thin walls.
And if absolutely nothing helps I start analyzing and writing down what's bothering me and what the possible reasons may be and if I'm just too busy with the things in my head I'll just make a to do list so I can cross off that which I have allready done and just clear my head a bit.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:42 AM   #3
OldHippie
Elven Warrior

If I really need to get away I head out to the shop and build somthing or work on my car.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
katya
Elven Maiden

Great thread Tessar, I was just thinking about making a thread on yoga! Really, I find the the most relaxing things are the quiet not doing anything things that let all the clutter in your mind and tension in your body relax and melt away, like yoga and "meditation". Deep breathing is definitely a must when doing yoga. I also find yoga is best when done very slow and deliberately, with a lot of focus on the breath and calming the mind. Meditation there are different kinds of- what I prefer is the just sitting (types of zazen I suppose) kinds.

Other than that, certain video games help. Final Fantasy VII is a good stress reliever for me since I love it and I know how to do everything so I don't get frustrated. But generally I don't relax well with things that put more thoughts into my head like TV. Books can be ok, depends on the book. But long periods of contemplation of the books is necessary for me so I don't feel overwhelmed.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #5
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I work. Blame my grandmother.

I relax when I know I'm getting something done. Until then, my conscience kills me. So, all my relaxation involves stuff like putting in gardens, painting walls, building, making gifts, and various needle crafts. I like dancing and weight-lifting, too, but that takes more planning.

I spent years hating meditation before deciding it was okay to be on an incarnated path.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
katya
Elven Maiden

I find that I am a lot more productive if I do take time off during the day to meditate and not do anything, so my conscience doesn't really have a problem with it. (Thought my foot does sometimes... that lotus pose...)

I definitely think cleaning and getting things done is relaxing though. I usually clean my room before trying to do yoga or anything like that because I just can't relax in a space that isn't clean and inviting. The process of cleaning is very relaxing too. It's satisfying to see things looking and feeling better, and it makes me feel like I can control at least some areas of my life.

Some things relax me short term but don't really relax my whole outlook on life- more of pacifiers. For example, I love driving around and singing in the car, or sometimes just listening to certain kinds of music loud. Singing really does wonders for me, no joke, even if my voice is pretty much mediocre.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

For a quick fix, Mari's "close my eyes, breathe slowly and deeply" works great. For heavy duty relaxation, the best I know is the hookah, with smooth music, low lights, and some good friends, who are just as comfortable chatting as simply sitting around, enjoying the atmosphere.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #8
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yeah, we don't breathe right.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #9
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
For example, I love driving around and singing in the car, or sometimes just listening to certain kinds of music loud. Singing really does wonders for me, no joke, even if my voice is pretty much mediocre.
Singing is always good! You can control what you sing and with what intensity therefore controlling the emotions you let flow out. I once read an article on meditation through singing.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
Singing is always good! You can control what you sing and with what intensity therefore controlling the emotions you let flow out. I once read an article on meditation through singing.
I got in trouble singing this weekend.

Most of the people I was working with didn't know much about my background, but I was singing (not a musical) and got into a lengthy discussion of paid theatre. Might get some work out of it, but probably more trouble than it's worth, for these crazies.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 12-17-2007, 06:22 PM   #11
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Hmmm, that's funny since I do almost always feel like I want to sing after I've finished yoga.

But yes, singing is always fun, especially if you can just let go of the idea of singing 'badly' or 'well' and just... kind of... sing .
Old 12-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
Mari
Elf Lady

Reminds me of an old musical show where one episode an old geezer gets hit on the head and loses his memory. He needs to learn everything again and the kids try to teach him through singing and then he says in a slow voice(in Dutch but still): Singing goooooood... me baaaaaad... me no sing
Then the kids try to cheer him up with a way to happy song about everyone being able to sing, resulting in him singing along with his terrible slowpoke voice. Then all of a sudden one of the girls hits a high note, breaking glasses and getting him his memory back.
Anyway, the moral was that everyone could sing.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #13
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
Reminds me of an old musical show where one episode an old geezer gets hit on the head and loses his memory. He needs to learn everything again and the kids try to teach him through singing and then he says in a slow voice(in Dutch but still): Singing goooooood... me baaaaaad... me no sing
Then the kids try to cheer him up with a way to happy song about everyone being able to sing, resulting in him singing along with his terrible slowpoke voice. Then all of a sudden one of the girls hits a high note, breaking glasses and getting him his memory back.
Anyway, the moral was that everyone could sing.
I would think the moral was that people who shatter glass while singing should NOT sing.

But I'm an elitist.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 12-17-2007, 07:04 PM   #14
Mari
Elf Lady

It did help him get his memory back?

Old 12-18-2007, 12:42 AM   #15
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
For a quick fix, Mari's "close my eyes, breathe slowly and deeply" works great. For heavy duty relaxation, the best I know is the hookah, with smooth music, low lights, and some good friends, who are just as comfortable chatting as simply sitting around, enjoying the atmosphere.
Now that relaxation. *nod*

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:20 AM   #16
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

And how!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:26 AM   #17
katya
Elven Maiden

Can anyone think of any good relaxing music? Real calm stuff. I like Enya a lot (especially Watermark CD) but I'm getting kind of sick of it.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:29 AM   #18
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I would highly suggest Clannad, if you haven't tried them. Not all of their stuff is just relaxing, but it's beautiful music and most of it is fairly calming.

I would also suggest Yanni, or whatever his name is. The new age pianist.

Not sure if it would be your flavor or not, but you might try Loreena McKennitt.

Other than that, I might suggest checking out basically any 'meditation' CD you can find. My grandma has/had one, and I recall that it was all very gentle music that was easy to just fall into and relax.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:33 AM   #19
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Oooh, Clannad is good. Enya used to be part of that group before striking out on her own.

If you don't mind classical music, try Händel's Water Music. Works wonders for me.

And if you want something a little more special, look for CD's with rain forest sounds or whale song. With our without musical accompaniment.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:35 AM   #20
Mari
Elf Lady

I have a Clannad CD I have been using for studying for years and I still couldn't tell you what's on it. It really helps me concentrate, because there is music, but of the ignorable kind (I can't seem to study in a silent place... makes me want to scream).
I own a lot of Irish folk CD's and I find that most of them help me calm down. You might want to try that.