Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-12-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
Belwen_of_nargothrond
Enting

Celebrian

I'm just curious. I heard that Celebrian and Elrond weren't married until the third age, but I was wondering if they had met in the second age before Gil-Galad's death. Does anyone know when she was born?
Belwen_of_nargothrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Good question, Belwen (and welcome to Entmoot! ).

In Unfinished Tales, in the part on "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn", there's some material from a version of the story where Amroth (King of Lothlorien until 1981 Third Age - when he is lost and G & C begin their lordship there) was the son of Galadriel and Celeborn. That version has him born between 350 and 400 of the Second Age, while G & C were living near Nenuial - Lake Evendim. There is a statement there that no explicit information is given on whether Celebrian was born before that or after - or if in the same location.

Because the Elves tended to cluster their children closely together
(er... at least considering that they're essentially immortal - so relatively speaking anyway), I suppose it's most likely that Celebrian was born somewhat early in the Second Age.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

The published canon, in the appendicies to LoTR III, is that Amroth is the son of Amdir/Magalad, not Galadriel and Celeborn.
Celebrian's birth date is not given anywhere. Her earliest mention in published material is her wedding to Elrond in 3A 109, her earliest mention in unpublished material (in one of the several versions of the "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn" is 2A 1350.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 12-13-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:08 AM   #4
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Yes - I agree that Amroth was not the son of Celeborn and Galadriel, but wondered if that alternate history might help pinpoint a likely date for Celebrian's birth.

Sorry if I was unclear.

Glad you pulled up the 1350 reference. I only scanned the UT portion and missed that.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote