Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-19-2000, 05:08 PM   #1
Razgon

the REAL story

So, you've probably all seen episode one by now, and some think it's good and some think it's bad. But... How many have wondered at what kind of story this is? Why on earth is there a blocade of an seemingly backwater, no-matter planet? And why is it important to the Lord Sidious, that the blocade is there in the first place?
I've spoken to many, but only a few saw it the way I did.
No, before I go ranting on, I would like you all out there to tell me why this is happening.
I'll be back in a day or two to post my answer
Old 08-19-2000, 08:50 PM   #2
emilsson

Re: the REAL story

The way I view this blockade works from the assumption that Sidious=Palpatine. Sidious needs to create a political crisis so he can get control of Naboo and use it as a base for future operations. But as it turns out events play even better into Palpatine's hands and because of the crisis caused by the Trade Federation he gets elected supreme chancellor. There is an interesting line, but not included in the movie, from the Illustrated Screenplay in the scene where Sidious says the move to attack is too agressive for Amidala. The line I'm speaking of is something like "I do no longer need that treaty signed. Kill all of them". No matter how the blockade ends, Sidious wins.
Old 08-19-2000, 10:37 PM   #3
Grand Admiral Reese

Here's the reason for the blockade of Naboo(or atleast my impression of it). The Sith Lord Sidious(aka Senator Cos Palpatine of Naboo)manipulates the Trade Federation into protesting the taxes on trade to the Outer Rim.

As a protest, they blockade and threaten to invade the peaceful, small and unimportant world Naboo. Now, the Trade Federation thinks that they can get a deal out of this(something like control of all outer rim trade, probably).

Now, Palpatine wants power. Power as in Supreme Chancellor of the Republic, the seat currently held by Finis Valorum. So, he(as Sidious)has the Trade Federation blockade Naboo, and plants baseless accusations against Valorum. This, combined his maneuvering the Trade Federation to bribe Mas Ameeda(I think that was his name)and make it seem like they were controlling the Republic.

So, when Queen Amidala escapes Naboo after it was invaded, he convinces her to address the Senate. He also encourages her to make a vote of no confidence against Valorum, which, combined with the accusations against him, will throw him right out of office.

He also maneuvered into being put on the list of replacment candidates. He then becomes Supreme Chancellor, then Emperor so on and so forth.

So, the blockade was merely a ruse to get Palpatine elected Supreme Chancellor.
Old 08-25-2000, 01:51 PM   #4
thrawn96

cool
Old 08-31-2000, 06:43 PM   #5
Darin Halcyon

All know Palpatine's real goal, that has been known for twenty years, just work back in the timeline. The senator wanted to control the galaxy. At that time, that ment getting votes, I believe that the old republic works on a planetary scale, therefore each planet gets a vote. If Plalpatine gets control of the outer rim, (for example) He could out vote higher consentrations of people in the core worlds. So I believe he attackied just to expand his power base.
Old 09-02-2000, 01:06 AM   #6
Michael Martinez

As the senator from Naboo Palpatine benefitted from a strong sympathy vote in the senate after Queen Amidala moved for a vote of no-confidence. The whole point of the affair was to topple Valorum and create an opportunity for Palpatine to win the election.
Old 09-02-2000, 06:29 PM   #7
Darin Halcyon

Ouite, and the only reason that Naboo was chosen for the blockade, is because that is the planet that senator P' Was in charge of.
Old 09-05-2000, 06:35 PM   #8
Grand Admiral Reese

Well, he was also the representitive for 35 other planets. However, Naboo was his home. And it would look a lot better on the newsnets if it was the esteemed Senators homeworld that was invaded.
Old 09-07-2000, 04:24 AM   #9
Razgon

Was he really the representative for 35 other planets? I never knew.
As for "The real story" I'm suitably impressed But of course most of the people posting here are perhaps someone with a little more insight into the Star Wars mythology than the "average" SW fan. Most of the people I talked to had a: No idea who this Senator Palpatine dude was and B idn't really understand the movie and finally C:Had no idea what was so important about the trade federations choice of planet and it's consequences.
So it makes me very happy to se some kindred spirits in this and actually it makes me think if perhaps not Lucas tries to make this into a multilevel story, like the old Faerie tales?
One level for "Kids" and one level for the more ... fanatic? star wars fan who can read ton's of subtle information in every little word (as for instance Palpatines parting words to Anakin - anyone remember them?)
Old 09-07-2000, 03:31 PM   #10
emilsson

I remember when I saw TPM with a friend and heard Palpatine say "we will watch your career with great interest", we just looked at each other and said "Oh......we know what that will lead to".

Star Wars definitely has many "layers". On one level it is an adventure but deeper down it's more of a timeless myth.