Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Hingis tests positive for cocaine, retires

Here is an espn article on the subject:

ZURICH, Switzerland -- Martina Hingis said Thursday she has been accused of testing positive for cocaine at Wimbledon, and then announced her retirement from professional tennis.

Hingis, a five-time Grand Slam champion and former Wimbledon winner, denied using cocaine.

Hingis Statement

Statement released by Martina Hingis (through her agent) in response to testing positive for cocaine during Wimbledon this year: Statement

"I find this accusation so horrendous, so monstrous that I've decided to confront it head on by talking to the press," she said. "I am frustrated and angry. I believe that I am absolutely 100 percent innocent."

The 27-year-old Swiss player lost in the third round at Wimbledon to Laura Granville, 6-4, 6-2.

Hingis returned to the sport two years ago after a four-year absence because of injuries.

She won three straight Australian Open titles from 1997-99, and Wimbledon and the U.S. Open championships in 1997.

Hingis, who lost in the third round of the U.S. Open, hasn't played since her second-round loss to Peng Shuai of China, 7-5, 6-1, in Beijing on Sept. 19.

Hingis said she was accused by "an outsource testing company" of taking cocaine during Wimbledon. She said she was "shocked and appalled" when notified that her urine sample came back positive after the loss to Granville.

"They say that cocaine increases self-confidence and creates a type of euphoria," she said in a statement. "I don't know. I only know that if I were to try to hit the ball while in any state of euphoria, it simply wouldn't work.

"I would think that it would be impossible for anyone to maintain the coordination required to play top class tennis while under the influence of drugs. And I know one other thing -- I would personally be terrified of taking drugs."

Hingis said she later underwent a privately arranged hair test which came back negative for cocaine. The official backup "B" sample test on her Wimbledon urine sample, however, tested positive for the drug.

Hingis said she hired an attorney who found "various inconsistencies" with the urine sample taken during Wimbledon.

"He is also convinced that the doping officials mishandled the process and would not be able to prove that the urine that was tested for cocaine actually came from me," she said.

Hingis said it could take years to fight her case and decided it was time to retire.

"I have no desire to spend the next several years of my life reduced to fighting against the doping officials," she said. "The fact is that it is more and more difficult for me, physically, to keep playing at the top of the game.

"And frankly, accusations such as these don't exactly provide me with motivation to even make another attempt to do so."

WTA Tour chief executive Larry Scott said the tour had not received any official information about a positive test and "as a result we are not in a position to comment on the matter."

"However, it is important to remember that in the area of anti-doping, all players are presumed innocent until proven otherwise," Scott said.

Referring to her retirement, he said, "Martina Hingis is a tremendous champion and a fan favorite the world over. In her most recent comeback, she proved again that she can perform at the very highest levels of the game."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Wow!!

This can't be true, I am a huge hingis fan.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 11-01-2007 at 03:09 PM.
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #2
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

That's too bad, though I agree with her that cocaine would in no way improve ones game. It would probably hinder it, since it tends to make one erratic and easily distracted.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:01 AM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Aw, I can't believe she's retiring. I hope the charges are bogus, although I agree with her (and tom) that cocaine would likely NOT improve her game.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

It's a shame that Hingis retires. At an age of 27 she would certainly have a few successful years left on the tour if she continued to play. Just look at Mauresmo and Venus Williams, they're about the same age as her and very successful.

Since the B sample was positive, it seems likely that Hingis had indeed had traces of cocaine in her. Of course cocaine doesn't improve a player's performace as much as would anabolic steroids, but I think cocaine might not be completely without positive effects for a person's game. A Norwegian tennisplayer who was questioned by the police in the 80's said that cocaine was as common as coffee among the tennis professionals and that some players snorted coke off their wristbands during their matches.
The first official doping case in tennis involved cocaine. That was as late as in the 90's, when former no. 1 Wilander and his doubles partner Novacek were tested positive at the French Open. They both retired from tennis before they could be suspended. Kind of like Hingis, I guess.

Tennis has a history of lousy anti-doping policies. In the past, testing of players have been too few and too inadequate. When players were actually been tested positive, few or no actions were taken. Even today, unannounced tests are far less common than in other sports. The Grand Slam tournaments are better at testing than the other tournaments and it isn't surprising that Hingis's alleged cocaine sample was taken at Wimbledon.

I'm afraid that by retiring and accusing the International Tennis Federation for not handling her samples correctly, she just makes things worse. She'll get marked for life.
But hopefully she'll be remember more for her grand moments and great achievements!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 11-02-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

People using drugs, folks, don't necessarily evaluate (in an accurate way) the impact of that.

Either on performance or legacy.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I agree, but it's a matter of tying it to her performance that seems wrong.

There have been plenty of professional athletes who are alcoholics and, while certainly a bad thing, it's not a performance enhancer.

Quote:
A Norwegian tennisplayer who was questioned by the police in the 80's said that cocaine was as common as coffee among the tennis professionals and that some players snorted coke off their wristbands during their matches.
In the 80s, cocaine was almost as common as coffee in all walks of life, especially among the rich and successful.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

So then would cocaine be punished differently from say if she tested positive for marijuana?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Cocaine would not IMO improve gameplay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
So then would cocaine be punished differently from say if she tested positive for marijuana?

...Subsequently, I don't believe marijauna would improve your performance either but would not be tested differently.

At this point I am leaning towards her being positive; it really is a shame it had to end this way for her, she was an ambassador for the sport and a very postive one until now, eg Marion Jones...

...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
Old 11-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

She's human and she has faults. I get more worried about the perfect ones.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:04 PM   #10
The Telcontarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
She's human and she has faults. I get more worried about the perfect ones.
Hey I second that. I don't care if a person takes drugs. That's there business and none of mine, drugs should be legal IMO (would solve alot of problems). It certainly doesn't make Martina Hingis a bad person; in anyway shape or form.

however in sports...it's hard to argue that any drug, steriods or otherwise, gives one an unfair advantage or not.

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 11-04-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #11
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I too love Martina Hingis, this is terrible news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Tennis has a history of lousy anti-doping policies. In the past, testing of players have been too few and too inadequate. When players were actually been tested positive, few or no actions were taken. Even today, unannounced tests are far less common than in other sports. The Grand Slam tournaments are better at testing than the other tournaments and it isn't surprising that Hingis's alleged cocaine sample was taken at Wimbledon.
Tennis may be bad, but it's not the worst. Looking straight at you cycling and baseball.

This incident will not mar my good memories of Martina Hingis's awesomeness, though it is certainly a sad circumstance under which to retire.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote