Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Frodo's First Time?

In Chapter 2 of LOTR, "The Shadow of the Past" - Gandalf reveals to Frodo all he has learned about the Ring - and, among other things, cautions him not to use it.

It is not explicitly stated one way or the other, but although he has been caretaker of the Ring for nearly seventeen years by this time, I get the impression that Frodo has never worn the Ring to that point.

Later - Chapter 7, "In the House of Tom Bombadil" - after Tom has borrowed the Ring, looked through it, tried it on (without turning invisible), thrown it up in the air, made it vanish, and then handed it back to Frodo - Frodo tries it on to reassure himself that he got the right ring back.

This is the first recorded use of Frodo using the Ring.

Question: Was it also the first time he EVER put it on? If so - it almost seems an odd circumstance - to almost test and see if it still does what it's supposed to do, when he had maybe never tested it before.

And yet, I get the impression he didn't wear it before this.

Thoughts?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:00 AM   #2
Olmer
Elf Lord

Hm... Interesting.
I think, he was using the Ring in spite of Gandalf's not so emphatic advise. After all, for 30 years he saw Bilbo using it without any ill effect.
One thing is for sure: Frodo did not keep the Ring in safe place. As he told Gandalf, he was afraid that it will slip from the finger, so he put it on a chain, which was clasped to his belt.
Means, how could he avoid the handling of the Ring, if it was always in his trousers pocket?
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I think he did use it before - at least he experimented with it in front of a mirror.

Look here what Galadriel said:
Quote:
`Only thrice have you set the Ring upon your finger since you knew what you possessed. Do not try! It would destroy you.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
Valandil

Interesting Gordis! So she, a bearer of the Three, may have been aware of each time Frodo (someone? anyone?) put the One Ring on?

Bolsters my theory that part of Isildur's fate may have been deduced by the bearers of the Three at that time (Elrond, Galadriel and Cirdan) - that at least from the point where he put the Ring on, they may have been aware of what was happening to him, up until the Ring slipped off his finger.

When were those three times, though? Before Lorien, I only remember two offhand:

1. At Tom Bombadil's house
2. At Weathertop

I may just be forgetting another. Does anyone else remember?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 09-20-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer
Hm... Interesting.
I think, he was using the Ring in spite of Gandalf's not so emphatic advise. After all, for 30 years he saw Bilbo using it without any ill effect.
One thing is for sure: Frodo did not keep the Ring in safe place. As he told Gandalf, he was afraid that it will slip from the finger, so he put it on a chain, which was clasped to his belt.
Means, how could he avoid the handling of the Ring, if it was always in his trousers pocket?
Hey Olmer,

I'll re-read that myself. But I guess if Frodo told Gandalf about it slipping off his finger, that would imply...

But wait, is he just talking about what Bilbo told him? Or else, framing it that way, so he doesn't admit to Gandalf it's from personal experience?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

Valandil
Perhaps you are forgetting the incident at Bree when the ring accidently slipped on Frodo's finger during his song and dance.
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Ask Frodo (everyone remembers his or her first time).
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McIntyre
Valandil
Perhaps you are forgetting the incident at Bree when the ring accidently slipped on Frodo's finger during his song and dance.
Ah - that's the one... thanks!

I'm re-reading right now, and I'm probably about a page away from that one.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-21-2007, 01:49 AM   #9
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
So Galadriel, a bearer of the Three, may have been aware of each time Frodo (someone? anyone?) put the One Ring on?

Bolsters my theory that part of Isildur's fate may have been deduced by the bearers of the Three at that time (Elrond, Galadriel and Cirdan) - that at least from the point where he put the Ring on, they may have been aware of what was happening to him, up until the Ring slipped off his finger.
I am not so sure...If it were so, how could Gandalf with his Narya travel with Bilbo and don't feel anything at all? (the Hobbit).

Galadriel was obviously briefed on Frodo's actions by Elladan and Elrohir back in autumn 3018. And she could also read Frodo's mind. I don't think she felt anything herself.

It is all conjecture, but I believe the main factor here is what the Wielder of the One strived to do with the Ring on. If he simply put the ring on to hide - from orcs (Isildur, Bilbo, Gollum), from Lobelia (Bilbo), from Tom (Frodo), from Nazgul (Frodo), from Boromir (Frodo again) - then the other ringbearers were not aware of it. But if he tried to make the Ring do something ELSE - like Frodo sitting upon the Seat of Sight on Amon Hen and trying to use its power - then the other ringbearers (Gandalf, Sauron) became aware of him. Same way Sauron was immediately aware of Frodo claiming the Ring.

So, I think Elrond, Cirdan and Galadriel were acutely aware of all the attempts Isildur had made to master the One, (That is why they have done him in, Olmer says ), but maybe they weren't aware of him using the One to escape from orcs at the Gladden.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote