Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
Peter_20
Elven Warrior

Do you know anything about the Púkelmen?

worthless info: "puckel" is the Swedish word for "hunchback"

Anyway, I digress - do you know anything about the Púkelmen?
I think they seemed like a really cool race; you gotta love a caveman-like dude named Ghân-buri-Ghân.
However, I can't remember any other Púkelmen in any of Tolkien's official works.

What are they?
Peter_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
Olmer
Elf Lord

Try "Druedain" in "Unfinished Tales".
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer
Try "Druedain" in "Unfinished Tales".
I bet he wasn't sitting on an unread copy of UT.

The drugs, as called by the people of Haleth, or the Druedain, as called by the Eldar, were part of the Atani, in the sense of Men who turned against Melkor. Before living in tents or shelters built around large trees, they used to live in mountain caves. Even though they are unpleasant to look at, their rich laughter was enough to the elves to qualify them as not servants of Melkor. They are attributed with magical abilities, a sort of sauronism - transferring power into objects. Since their fight against the orcs (and generally against Melkor) earned them the right to go to Numenor (!), my theory is that they received such powers of magic at the same time when Eonwe gave the numenoreans long life, wisdom and power. Some parts of UT imply that at least part of the drugs reached Numenor, but left when the shadow fell on it. They are excellent trackers, like to carve wood or stone. They have been persecuted by the numenoreans; their leader asks of Theoden too for the cease of attacks - and in UT there is a passing reference to the persecution of the drugs by the rohirrim. For future references, your primary sources of information would be "The Druedain", on part IV of the UT, as noted above, and a comparison between hobbits and drugs, found in "The Atani and their languages", HoME XII.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Once again, a worthy and interesting response. I'd prefer (as you know ) it served with a sprinkling of Landroval or seasoning of personal views ...but that's just me!

For my own part - I see them as both a texture that adds both light and shade and also as a non-evil living counterpoint to the High Lineages of the free people (specifically men) of Middle-Earth - a backdrop on which to raise above the Line of Kings and as a resonant counterpoint to both the Glory and Folly of Man.

Best, BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 04-12-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Thanks BB; frankly, I am quite fond of my speculation on the source of their magic
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote