FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

[Originally split off from this thread.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
People gotta chill.

I think it's even funnier that no one ever has a head cold. Most of us, sad to say, spend more time sneezing than having sex, whatever our preferences.

Yet, Bilbo's birthday at the Long Lake is the ONLY real snotfest in all those centuries.

I can only assume Tolkien had a deep religious objection to catarrh.

Like Jesus, it's perfectly possible those elves had families, and it just didn't seem relevant to to the story to mention it.

And I CANNOT believe, Butterbeer, that you don't see the clear endorsement of sustainable living in every DETAIL of the 100 Acre Wood lifestyle. If it isn't a full on indictment of suburban consumerism, right down to the reused "Sanders" sign, I'll, well, I'll eat my soyink copy of "Wind in The Willows", noted British metaphor of Imperialism.
Oh?

...and how many times can you count Eeeye-oor (sp?) silently breaking wind (and him not even a cow!! ... and just look at his diet ! )

It reeks (literally) of Classic Ostrich revisionist ecological writing if ever i ever saw it!

Last edited by Earniel : 04-06-2007 at 04:04 AM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Poppycock.

It's clearly an extended allegory for man's immature relationship with nature.

Christopher Robin is "the imperfected man", perpetually a child. His name represents the duality of Modern Man's approach to nature, the "Two Cultures" extended into a basic divide between Faith and Works. He seeks to engage Nature in dialog, hoping that this process will encourage him to grow into full Stewardship of the planet.

Kanga is the Eternal Mother, Owl the Sage, and Rabbit the Guardian. When I lay hands on my copy of "The Medicine Wheel", I'll be able to tell you which corresponds to which quadrant of the sky. The 4th icon, of course, is Pooh, himself, representing safety and tradition. It is in growing past that as his primary relationship that Christopher Robin experiences true, ecological, growth.

I mean, duh.

(thanks. I didn't cry)
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
It's clearly an extended allegory for man's immature relationship with nature.

Christopher Robin is "the imperfected man", perpetually a child. His name represents the duality of Modern Man's approach to nature, the "Two Cultures" extended into a basic divide between Faith and Works. He seeks to engage Nature in dialog, hoping that this process will encourage him to grow into full Stewardship of the planet.

Kanga is the Eternal Mother, Owl the Sage, and Rabbit the Guardian. When I lay hands on my copy of "The Medicine Wheel", I'll be able to tell you which corresponds to which quadrant of the sky. The 4th icon, of course, is Pooh, himself, representing safety and tradition. It is in growing past that as his primary relationship that Christopher Robin experiences true, ecological, growth.

I mean, duh.

(thanks. I didn't cry)
Thats really reading into it. I've never read into it that much...and thanks to your post I won't ever have to. So umm.. what does Tigger represent cause he's my favorite character anyway.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

You're welcome. ;o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
What does Tigger represent cause he's my favorite character anyway.
Tigger is the spontaneous joy of childhood. His entrance into the wood signals the begining of Christopher Robin's era of decision. Will he remain in childhood, with all its charms? Or will he choose to move into the larger world of adult responsibility?

You do know I'm kidding, right?
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

poppycock?

Lovely word.

What do you read into that?

so - you are saying 'Tigger' is a trigger?

i'm totally serious, of course

Last edited by Butterbeer : 04-05-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Have you guys ever read/heard of the book The Tao Of Pooh, by Benjamin Hoff? Reading sistercousin's and BB 's posts here about Winnie the Pooh immediately reminded me of this wonderful little book. The Tao of Pooh.

excerpt

"Rabbit's clever," said Pooh thoughtfully.
"Yes,"said Piglet, "Rabit's clever."
"And he has Brain."
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit has Brain."
There was a long silence.
"I suppose," said Pooh, "that that's why he never understands anything."

http://www.souloflife.com/taopooh

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

That's a fabulous line from the Pooh books! There's a lot of great lines in there. I haven't read the Tao book, though.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:57 AM   #8
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Words can't express how cool Pooh is. I guess that's why he's got a book called The Tao of Pooh written about him...he can't be described, he just...is. I need to buy that book. I'll put it on my bookshelf next to Walden Pond.
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:48 AM   #9
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:

You do know I'm kidding, right?
Kidding?? ....OH yeah right heh heh heh, yeah kidding some joke..
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
Mari
Elf Lady

Are you guys going to kill me when I say I don't like Winnie the Pooh and never did? Not just the Disney version, but I also don't like the original. I do like the original art though
Why do you like Winnie the Pooh? Besides the apperently deeper meanings sistercousinaunt (can I just call you Earl? It's shorter And it reminds of the nice discussion we all had with Lief) that is. People often tell me they like Winnie the Pooh or Peter Rabbit or something, but I just don't understand what they think is so great about it.
By the way, that earlier explanation reminded me instantly of Peter Pan.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #11
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

There's also a book called The Pooh Perplex, composed of faux-philosophical musings on Winnie the Pooh, with essays such as "The Theory and Practice of Bardic Verse: Notations of the Hums of Pooh" and "O Felix Culpa! The Sacramental Meaning of Winnie-the-Pooh". It looks like it'd be a grand read.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #12
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
There's also a book called The Pooh Perplex, composed of faux-philosophical musings on Winnie the Pooh, with essays such as "The Theory and Practice of Bardic Verse: Notations of the Hums of Pooh" and "O Felix Culpa! The Sacramental Meaning of Winnie-the-Pooh". It looks like it'd be a grand read.
Oh, cool! Very cool; thanks for that heads-up re: The Pooh Perplex. Gotta check that little book out, definitely.

And Mari, are you fully, completely, truly serious? Not like Pooh? Not like Peter Rabbit?? I have to say, this is the first time ever in my life I've heard anyone, ever ever, say they didn't care for Winnie the Pooh! I am - I am just - flabberghasted, yes, that's the word. That's just crazy, not like Pooh! poor old Pooh...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:35 PM   #13
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Oh, cool! Very cool; thanks for that heads-up re: The Pooh Perplex. Gotta check that little book out, definitely.

And Mari, are you fully, completely, truly serious? Not like Pooh? Not like Peter Rabbit?? I have to say, this is the first time ever in my life I've heard anyone, ever ever, say they didn't care for Winnie the Pooh! I am - I am just - flabberghasted, yes, that's the word. That's just crazy, not like Pooh! poor old Pooh...
Sorry, but it's true. I do like the drawings of Peter Rabbit though, and I have a mug from Disneyland with Winnie the Pooh. I am actually quite fond of that mug, but I don't like the story or the weird movies Disney made out of them.
Reminds me of the time I tried to read Paddington...

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote