Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Peter_20
Elven Warrior

Melkor was necessary

Melkor is, as we all know, the main villain in Tolkien's story of Arda.
He's often portraited as the great disaster of the world, a being that should've never been in the first place.
But if you think about it, what would Arda be like if there were no evil anywhere?
Would fantastic things really be appreciated if there were no opposites?
I think not.
I think life on Arda would be a mere sugar-sweet paradise, where everyone lived happy lives every day and never realized how blessed they were.
Sooner or later they would wither away, and feel disgusted by their flawless lives.

I actually think even Paradise needs its evils every now and then, because complete peace and beauty is one of the worst sufferings you can endure.

The way I see it, Melkor and his evil intentions were created to bring a type of balance in the world - why else would he exist?
Of course there are some evils that are just too much (Túrin's sad fate, etc) but Melkor's existence guaranteed a balance that made life meaningful.

Last edited by Peter_20 : 04-04-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Peter_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

I agree there. Everything in nature needs a counter-balance, otherwise, life would just be soo boring
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote