Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

A revolution in writing?

I read this little amusing article today (translation mine):

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRT-website
The Irony mark unveiled at Dutch Book Fare

wo 14/03/07

The Dutch Language has gained a punctuation mark: the irony mark. The mark is made on initiative of the Stichting Collectieve Propaganda van het Nederlandse Boek (CPNB) and was unveiled last night on the Book Fare.

"The new punctuation mark offers writers new linguisitc possibilities, and is also easy to write by hand," said the CPNB.

The Fin-German-Dutch designerscollective Underware has developed the mark. The mark looks like a mangled exclamation mark. On the Book Fare is was called a swinging exclamation mark, one with rock-'n-roll.

According to the CPNB there is a lot of demand for such a mark. Anyone can download it freely on the internet.

The punctuation mark was presented at the Book fare in Amsterdam at the start of the yearly Book Week. The theme of the year is humor and the motto 'Praise of Folly', a reference to the same-named writings of the humanist Erasmus in 1509.
Look here to see how the sign actually looks.

Would anyone use it in their writings? Should new punctuation marks be added or is that pointless? Or which other mark would you like to see developed?
Old 03-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Not a bad idea, though I've got to say that half the fun of irony is seeing if people grasp it or not.

A mark that says, "this is an ironic statement" might kill the fun.

Though, there are times when I use the smilie for the same thing when I fear that if someone doesn't realize I'm being ironic, they might take it personally.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Agree with BJ, though I think that the similarity with the exclamation mark might make me think it's being shouted or something.

A sign of net writing, with its smileys and emoticons, influencing normal writing?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
The thing is, that mark is allready on warning signs warning against electrisity...

But otherwise I prefer irony to be evedent rather than marked(I hope this isn't introduced to english)
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
Olmer
Elf Lord

I like it. It's about time to make a regular writing more expressive.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm not against it, certainly . I think in the right contexts, it could add something.

But I have to say, if you're so shallow that you can't grasp irony anyways, forming a mark to say 'this is ironic' wont help you .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:36 PM   #7
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

It looks a lot like a weird shaped question mark. I would probably never use it. If you don't use irony the right way, some people might not get it, but irony is usually understood.

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Thain Peregrin Took I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:13 PM   #8
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Oh, that's simply a lovely idea. And of course I'm going to use it in my next book. Simply a lovely idea.

My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:05 AM   #9
elven dragonrider
Elven Warrior

Location: Confusion Lane, on the back of a dragon, or on horseback.
I think someone ought to do something with the period and the exclamation mark. So many people read exclamation marks with absolutely no exclamation at all whatsoever. Something in between the two might spark some imagination, because not all things quite need an exclamation, but most need more than a period.

Edgar Alan Poe and Oscar Wilde rock. They are actually better than rocks.
Beautiful Soup
and A Tomato Ate My Sister are the most educational and intellectual songs ever created, challenging the scholarly power of the great philosophers.

On TB's sig, Don't worry about the world ending today, tomorrow, or next week, just worry about it ending now.
elven dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I'd certainly never use that mark in my book writing. Spelling things out like that, I think, can spoil the humor.

I might use it in place of the "" emoticon, here in Entmoot posts, though, on occasion, if it really takes off and becomes extremely widespread and popular.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote