Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

2016 Olympic Games

My home city of Chicago is putting forth a strong bid to host the 2016 Olympic Games. The USOC will decide between Chicago and Los Angeles, one city to recommend to the International Olympic Committee.

I forget now what some of the other cities are that are vying to host it - outside the US. It's just exciting (and RARE) to have Chicago in the mix.

With that being 20 years after Atlanta (the last US hosted summer Olympics), some people think it's time for the US to get very serious consideration once more. So many feel that whichever city the USOC chooses will have a good chance. Others think that with the current level of US popularity internationally - it would be better to take a pass on it, that it will likely go elsewhere.

What do the rest of you think? With the next two locked up in Beijing (2008) and London (right? 2012) - is it time for the US to host again in 2016? And... what do you think of the prospect of Chicago hosting it?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 02-22-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
elven dragonrider
Elven Warrior

Location: Confusion Lane, on the back of a dragon, or on horseback.
I think the idea of it being in the US again is great! Though maybe not Chicago. (Not trying to insult your home town) Maybe it's better than Los Angeles, though. (Not trying to insult anyone's home town) It's never been to NYC, has it? Do they have the facilities?
elven dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Yay Chicago! I think it would be a good place for summer Olympics, better than LA. No offense LA, but all the athletes would die of heat stroke!

Then again, my own home town is nearly as toasty and we did host the Canada Summer Games, way back in the day (1995).
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:07 AM   #4
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Yay Chicago! I think it would be a good place for summer Olympics, better than LA. No offense LA, but all the athletes would die of heat stroke!

Then again, my own home town is nearly as toasty and we did host the Canada Summer Games, way back in the day (1995).
I suspect summer in Chicago gets hotter than in LA. I think the ocean breezes keep things a little moderate there... don't they? LAers??

One thing Chicago may have going for it is actually something going against LA... two prior Olympics have been held in LA - most recently 1984 - when was the previous... 1948? Anyway, I wonder if they'd go with a strong alternate, rather than giving it to the same city for a third time. OTOH, the LA Olympics were very successful last time around.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 02-23-2007, 12:12 AM   #5
elven dragonrider
Elven Warrior

Location: Confusion Lane, on the back of a dragon, or on horseback.
Hopefully not LA, not trying to insult anyone, but I have to agree w/Nurvindiel and Valandil. Interesting, Valandil, I didn't know that LA had had it so many times.
This is probably the stupidest question ever, and that is why no one answered before, but does NY have the facilities for the Olympics?
elven dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:23 AM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I wouldn't put my argument for getting the Olympics to the USA again on the 20 years-bit. (Gods, has it been 20 years? I remember Atlanta!) But 20 years in the Olympics isn't that long as there's only one every 4 years. Of course not that many nations have the needed facilities to house the games so it's a bit of a select group that makes a chance.

Given the current situation the Olympics in the USA may be a little touchy (it's supposed to be politics-free, but some just can't let go, eh). Although it's still a good 13 years before it'll be held, so the political situation could have approved by then, optimistically speaking.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:13 AM   #7
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I wouldn't be too jazzed about the Olympics though. It's still an honour to host the Olympics, despite the IOC's efforts to make it otherwise, but as Vancouver has learnt the hard way, the Olympics aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Few, if any, cities have avoided losing money on hosting the Olympics. So taxpayers' money is spent on... what? Increased homelessness? Gentrification? Traffic congestion? Government over-spending?

That said, I'll be lining up for tickets for the women's hockey games. But I'd really be just as happy if Vancouver didn't have the Olympics. I'd be watching my beloved women's hockey on TV, but at least Vancouver would have avoided adding greater hardship to our city's poorest people.

Given the choice, which I most certainly was not, I'd take the televised hockey.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 02-23-2007, 06:57 AM   #8
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

it will be 20 years ...

in 2016!

I would have thought Africa was due, personally.

maybe Chicago 2020? (better ring to it anyway!)

Let's see ... Atlanta (US), Sydney ( aussies ), Athens (greece), beijing ( China) London (England) ...

Technically i'd say it should be either Africa or South America.

in theory, Chicago should aim for 2024?

if the African 2010 World Cup is a success, maybe there will be a strong bid for 2020?

Last edited by Butterbeer : 02-23-2007 at 07:05 AM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
Valandil

I wonder if any cities from either Africa or South America are making bids?

And don't worry Earniel... it hasn't been 20 years since the Atlanta games - but it will have been 20 by 2016. (which is 9 years off, btw)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 02-23-2007, 09:46 AM   #10
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

NYC does not have the facilities,

and no one else does, either. You have to BUILD those darn Olympic villages, and then, mostly, they sit around like ghost towns, full of old spy equipment.

The summer Olympics is particularly problematic, because pools are expensive. And permanent. You need real estate to install them, and domes to cover them, and then you need users for them afterwards. Chicago isn't particularly a swim town. If you were going to commit to the expense of facilities like that, you'd want a least a strong club swimming/high school swimming culture.

If you were going to take over the big university pools (terrible for television, and I'm sorry, that's a factor) you have the problem that Chicago's venues are separated by considerable Chicago. You can't just pop people on the EL.
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:49 PM   #11
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

New York has some decent facilities. One of the best Olympic swimming pools in the world is in little East Meadow on Long Island. And Madison Square Garden could host a lot of events. And dont forget the density of universities and what not in the tri-state area. The issue would just be housing and the congestion. But it certainly wouldnt be a crazy panicked rush like it was in Athens last time.

Unfortunately for us easterners and you all midwesterners, the west coast probably still boasts the best appeal of all for the olympic games because of their facilities and experience. They wanted to try it in the DC/Baltimore area but I cant see that happening any time soon. Maybe Miami might work...

As for Africa, the only place that would have a shot would be Cape Town. Have they had any olympic stuff since the fall of apartheid?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Nehheh, I should really refrain from surfing when I've just woken up. Obviously my internal calculator hadn't started up yet. Silly Sea-Elf me.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Haha. I don't know if Cape Town has ever hosted the Olympics. What about Tunis?

Africa is due, but I don't know if there's any African countries who can afford to pay for games that largely benefit the western world.
Quote:
Old 04-14-2007, 06:29 AM   #14
Valandil

Today is decision day for the US Olympic Committee - to choose between Chicago and Los Angeles.

I heard last night that some of the non-US cities vying to host are: Rio de Janeiro, Tokyo, Rome and Madrid.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 04-14-2007 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #15
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

And the US Colympic Committee's choice is... Chicago !

That's good. I prefer Chicago to Los Angelels, seeing as LA has hosted the games twice before (1932 & 1984). And Chicago should have a pretty good shot at winning the bids since it's been a while since the continent hosted the summer games. It might be America's turn again

Other official bids for the Olympics come from Tokyo, Prague and Rio de Janeiro. And as Val said, Rome and Madrid seem to be considering bids too.

Congratulations Val!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:50 AM   #16
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Right, Val,

get the spare room ready!
Old 04-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #17
Valandil

Thanks Jonathan - I tried my hardest!

SACAA (can I call you that?) - so soon? If I get it ready now, it won't still be ready in nine years!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 04-15-2007, 08:21 AM   #18
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Oh,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Thanks Jonathan - I tried my hardest!

SACAA (can I call you that?) - so soon? If I get it ready now, it won't still be ready in nine years!
You HAVE a spare room. Much simpler, then.
9 years...the boys will be almost driving by then, if the pictures are correct.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #19
Valandil

The pictures are from Christmas '03 - the oldest will be 18 in summer of '16, so in addition to driving (picking up 'mooters from the airport, etc) - I'm trying to figure out which Olympic event(s) he would do best at.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 04-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #20
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

*imagines Val with a proud smile .... well, OK ... i was thinking more of acting like a peacock ... er, but i'll leave that one for now eh? *

j/k

(it's a phrase btw ...just to avoid any confusion - i had that once elsewhere! - honestly!

'Proud as a Peacock'

anyways - i prefer Chicago to LA - mind sharing that bed then Duke? - you ARE a girl right????

- i like triple mushrooms with my bacon - no egg -oh and if you are off to the pantry Val - maybe a glass of redwine?

Well done Chicago.

best, BB
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote