Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-30-2006, 07:27 AM   #1
Aquilonis
Hobbit

The Halo Arc

Alright, I searched this out and found two threads on it- the more recent is closed, and the earlier one is considerably over two years old and too narrow for my topic. Thus, without further ado, I open this thread on the Halo story arc, including Halo 1, 2, and 3, as well as any books/side movies like Final Flight of the Osiris (not Halo, but you get it). Any discussion on Halo is encouraged.

I would like to start off by noting with great anticipation the release of Halo 3 at some point next year, which I cannot wait to play. I would also like to note that while checking out Wikipedia, I stumbled across an entire Halo history, so that was fun, I'll post the link if anyone is interested.

What do you all think about Halo? Discussion welcome, I'm leaving things vague on purpose to facilitate a broader, more flowing discussion.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I've always wondered about the enthusiasm for these games (the same way I wondered about the raving about Final Fantasy, which I still do not understand)...I mean, I saw some guy playing one one time, and it looked pretty boring to me...

BTW, You do know about the movie that Peter Jackson is producing?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I'll try to keep my views about the actual gameplay and phenomenon that Halo has become and keep it just about the story.

It has a good story. At least Halo 1 does. I really enjoyed the storyline and the visual presentation (cutscenes/levels design/general graphic design). Everything really keeps you interested in playing.

Is it a groundbreaking game? Barely.
Is it innovative in any way? No
Is it the best FPS of all time? Not even close.
Is it the best console FPS of all time? It's arguable, but it is definately up there.

All it had going for it was a great multiplayer platform in an era where console gaming was quickly taking the place of hardcore PC gaming. But I guess that was enough for it to get inducted into the newly formed Walk of Game before the creator of the DOOM franchise. Oh because Halo did so much more than DOOM to revolutionize the FPS genre. Give me a break. It's like getting a bad tattoo. A few years later you'll regret looking like this guy.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglorfin
All it had going for it was a great multiplayer platform in an era where console gaming was quickly taking the place of hardcore PC gaming.
i only ever played multiplayer halo, never bothered doing the story... its pretty awesome fun getting drunk and having a multitude of xboxs linked up throughout the house and playing halo until everyone passes out.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millane
i only ever played multiplayer halo, never bothered doing the story... its pretty awesome fun getting drunk and having a multitude of xboxs linked up throughout the house and playing halo until everyone passes out.
Yeah there's a definite appeal to big multiplayer matches where you can actually be in the same room as your friends and still whup their butts. It added a whole new level to my friends' trash-talking.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 12-20-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
One_Winged_Angel
Sapling

i love playing Halo 1 and 2, haven't tried 3, and Red VS Blue is the most awesome s*** ever invented.

Formerly known as Estel13
One_Winged_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
Anglorfin
Alasailon

LoL yeah RvB is funny. Only the first two seasons were any good though.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

The movie was canned months ago.

I've played Halo 1 and 2 - not all that exciting.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote