Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-30-2000, 04:27 AM   #1
Niffiwan

Rods

What do you think about this?
www.roswellrods.com

My opinion:
I think I believe it. They pretty much proved that it couldn't just be photography/video glitches, and I saw something once that moved WAY too fast to be an insect...
Plus, there are National Geographic videos on it (at least one).
Old 07-30-2000, 04:40 AM   #2
Shanamir Duntak

Re: Rods

I'm really skeptical about that one
Old 07-30-2000, 04:56 AM   #3
Niffiwan

Well, a type of fish was discovered after it was thought to be extinct for millions of years, wasn't it? People regarded the giant squid just like stories about Bigfoot, until it was proven to exist not long ago at all.
I guess you're right; we can't really know until they either capture one or get a really, really high-speed camera.
Well, I'm anxious to see what new photos they've gotten from the cave... (Rods showed on all 3 cameras that they placed there, so camera glitches are out of the question)
Unlike many other "unidentified species" they DO have many photographs and movies. Also a lot of "proof"; a really good example was the Sparrow chasing the Rod...
Old 07-30-2000, 05:02 AM   #4
Niffiwan

And no, I don't believe in half-crododile half-human mutations, thank you very much.
However,
I consider the Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot, UFOs, mokele-mbembe, etc. to be uncertain until absolute proof of either existence or fraud.
So I don't let either faith or instant disproval control my thinking (well, most of the time anyway).
Old 07-30-2000, 05:10 AM   #5
Shanamir Duntak

Who knows... it may be true... there is so much we don't know!
Old 07-30-2000, 05:13 AM   #6
Niffiwan

Well, looks like they've "proven" it...
paranormal.about.com/scie...ms=%2Brods

Read the arcticle...

It's pretty old though; there are newer news on their "hom page" in the "expedition" section...
Old 07-30-2000, 07:59 AM   #7
juntel

Niffiwan, you would love that site: Fortean Times...

Hey, Entmooters! There ARE X-Men!
Look here!
Old 07-31-2000, 03:47 AM   #8
Niffiwan

Very funny...

Remember, people scoffed at stories about Giant Squids.
Even now, giant squids have never been seen alive by scientists.
If the Rod's body is so light, then, as pointed out, it could be even harder to find than the giant squid.
No, even with our technology, we haven't discovered everything yet.
Did you know that many new species are still being discovered each year?
Put your natural skepticism away for a minute and think about the cold, hard facts.
Old 07-31-2000, 03:49 AM   #9
Niffiwan

BTW, the first of those "real X-men" was recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records.
Old 07-31-2000, 06:41 AM   #10
juntel

I really don't know why big squids wouldn't exist.
Or white crows for that matter.

As for new species being discovered every day, that's because those haven't been killed by deforestation of the Amazon yet (to name one example).
Let's hope we discover more and more...
Old 07-31-2000, 07:43 PM   #11
Shanamir Duntak

Rods... who chose that name anyway?
... But think about it... how many "rods" where taken on film?

Now how many UFOs?
Number two should be greater.
Are UFOs generally accepted as existing? Not by scientific community. (But I want to believe )
So should, would, could the Rods be accepted as existing? Hummm... not sure 'bout that!
Old 08-01-2000, 01:38 AM   #12
Niffiwan

They chose the name because... well, that's what they looked like at first; it just stuck. Kind-of like daddy-long-legs.

And rods are very, VERY hard to fake... I mean, did you see the one where the guy was falling into the cave?
UFOs are generally easier to fake.
Plus, its not the amount of videos/photos that count, but the "believability" of them. The Rods videos haven't been disproven yet, the only was found that they could be not real is that it was a normal insect flying by very fast and the (video) camera made it look longer. However, they tested this by shooting an arrow past the camera while the camera took a picture of it. Surprise, surprise, the arrow maintained its natural shape even when moving extremely fast in the picture. (They used some special camera on almost all of their pictures, which is the one that they did this test on)

Don't forget; National Geographic has a video on Rods. So I think that they are at least half-accepted now.
And if you read that arcticle.... well, go to the part about "father of all critics"s comment about their presentation.

What they're trying to do now is to catch one or take very good quality pictures with a special 300-photos-per-second camera, in this cave they found that's "infested" with Rods.
The camera their sponsors won't let them get, and their leading guy who went into the cave just found out "really how fast" these things are. So he says it's going to be more difficult to catch one then they've ever thought.
Old 08-02-2000, 02:14 AM   #13
Shanamir Duntak

I guess I'll have to accept that they exist...
Hey! Anyway, I'll never see one, so I don't really mind or care.
Old 08-02-2000, 02:55 AM   #14
Niffiwan

You might...
The guy says that you have to get used to seeing them, that they are kind of like things moving in the corner of your eye that aren't there when you turn to look. So that you're really seeing them all the time, but don't know it.
As I said before, I firmly believe that I saw one; something flew right in front me when I was in Poland once. It was very tiny, but it flew WAY too fast to be an insect; I thought it was my imagination at first; it moved so darn fast! In about 1/4 of a second it flew into my line of vision on one side and dissapeared on the other. I don't know of an insect that moves that fast; please tell me if you know of one. Then it flew by me again, and I accepted that was not an illusion and stored it in the back of my mind for later analysis.
Old 08-02-2000, 08:50 PM   #15
Shanamir Duntak

Hey, that's so cool. Finally, I wish I saw one like you!
Old 08-03-2000, 12:11 AM   #16
Niffiwan

As I said, it could have been just a VERY, VERY fast flying insect; if you think so, please tell me of one that lives in Poland; I would like to know what other possibilities there are of what it could have been.
Old 08-03-2000, 08:36 PM   #17
Shanamir Duntak

New miniature military plane? :lol:
Old 08-04-2000, 02:22 AM   #18
Niffiwan

:lol:
That's even more crazy!
Old 08-04-2000, 07:42 PM   #19
etherealunicorn

re

Maybe a test of some new top-secret ammo

I am told that the military is working on some sort of ammo that can turn a corner, though obviously there were no details given as to how this course change was achieved. A little bitty motor, maybe?

Hey, the truth is out there, lol
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-04-2000, 08:15 PM   #20
Niffiwan

Re: re

But would the military really test their new technology in a minigolf course?
:lol: