Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-21-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

any other Mac users?

Who else here uses Apple computers?

Since my first computer I've been Windows - MSDOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP.

I even bashed macs all the time - there is much evidence of that on the moot.

But I recently took the leap and SWITCHED TO MAC. For college, I got a MacBook Pro.

Wow this thing is amazing. Only thing I miss is right click and full screen.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Burn all PCs = save the world

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:00 AM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I love my mac. You get used to using hot keys instead of right-clicking. In fact, when I'm on the pc at work, I generally still use the hot keys instead of right-clicking.

Welcome to the dark side.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:37 AM   #4
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Started off on PCs, c1988, using DOS. Then switched to macs for about 5 years, back to PCs, now use both. There is no doubt in my mind that macs rule.

Of course, the problem is with Windoze, not with the hardware for PCs.

Here's an example: upgrading a 7 year-old mac from MacOS 8 to X.3.1 (equivalent to going from Windoze 98 to XP): double-click installer, click one OK button, done. All peripherals working, network preserved and fully functional, all files and programs still work as before. Can you imagine a Windoze upgrade happening like that?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

I just got a macbook as well; it pretty much owns, and as you say, the only bad thing is not having full screen.

what do you mooters know about 'boot camp'? have any of you done it?
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I've had a Mac on my left and a PC on my right for most of my computer years ( pushing 20! ), but I definitely like the Mac better, especially OSX.

I do, however, install a two-button mouse.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
HOBBIT

I don't know if I'm going to do Boot Camp or not - I'd have to buy a copy of Windows XP - pretty expensive. What would I use it for anyway? Just time wasting games :P

It was annoying locating Mac Equiv programs to all of my Winodws ones - but now I've mostly finished with that.

There is right click that you can enable - its just not the default. So not terribly right click friendly :P.

I'll just have to get used to no full screen. Not full screen friendly in the least - almost none of the programs can do it - including movie watching ones. :O

anyone use .Mac? wondering if I should get it or not. It's $99 a year for stuff that you can get free online - but it is cool that it is all so integrated with the mac.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 08-23-2006, 12:34 AM   #8
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I just went to Wal-Mart and bought a $15 optical Logitech USB mouse for my Macbook, and it works like a dream. Two buttons -- left and right click both act like they would on a Windows computer. It's as easy as just plugging it in. I've also configured the Apple Mail program to access my university account because I have a bad habit of not ever checking that e-mail. That also works wonderfully.

Three months later and I still love my Macbook. Granted, it does take some getting used to, but once you do, it's so easy to use. I worked in Windows the other day and kept trying to go to the upper left corner to close out the windows I was using. And I don't know how I ever lived without Dashboard and Exposé.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:13 AM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Spotlight is freaking handy as well - apple + space to access. You can search EVERYTHING. It's bloody handy when you've misplaced your lil' brother's CV from 2 years ago.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:26 AM   #10
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I grew up on Macintosh computers and always adored them. As a kid, I picked up all the various shortcuts and hidden secrets from library books, and even crippled my machine a few times when I got overzealous hacking the resource fork. Compatability issues (and a latent desire to kill time with games) have made me an expat in the Windows world for the past several years, but I'm switching back once my current PC no longer suits my needs. I've never actually owned an OS X system, but a lot of people around here do, and they're gorgeous.

Completely different from the Macs I used to know, of course. But better.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #11
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
There is right click that you can enable - its just not the default. So not terribly right click friendly :P.
The newer "two-button" mac mouse is a bit difficult to use because it is based on touch, not an actual button. So, if you enable right click but, like most people, keep both your right and left fingers on the mouse, it will only left click.

In order to use it "properly", you have to lift your left finger when you right click, which is even less click-friendly.

But mice are cheap and easy to swap in.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:36 PM   #12
HOBBIT

enabling right clck on my mighty mouse works fine. people use 2 fingers for mice? wow ive always just used my right index finger.

if you have a Mac laptop - like a MacBook or MacBookPro - you can enable the trackpad for right click Place 2 fingers on the trackpad and click for right click (after you enable this).

Old 08-25-2006, 12:25 AM   #13
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Personally, if I'm using the trackpad, I prefer the two-fingered tap for a right click. I almost never use the actual trackpad button, unless I'm dragging something a long distance across the screen.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:56 AM   #14
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
enabling right clck on my mighty mouse works fine. people use 2 fingers for mice? wow ive always just used my right index finger.

if you have a Mac laptop - like a MacBook or MacBookPro - you can enable the trackpad for right click Place 2 fingers on the trackpad and click for right click (after you enable this).
It's a matter of habit. Granted, it could be changed with some work, but it's one of the issues most mentioned by people about the mouse on the 'net. It's far from just me.

I think Apple may have been better off if they offered two mice. One like the current mighty mouse and one physically split. Bottom line is to sell mice and they'd sell more by appealing to more types of users.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:10 PM   #15
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

has anyone here used imovie HD at all? I've been having a little glitch with it lately and I was wondering if anyone else had had any problems.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote